Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Can Model X FWD's Detect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been curious as to what extent the Model X doors can detect objects. There is this thread Chicago-Parking the X in a Garage, tight space (Video) where Dalia scratches the door on a concrete post (not to single you out Dalia :smile:). Also, I have rails for my garage door that protrude from the ceiling a foot or two (still need to measure the height from the floor). They are about an inch in total width, could the sensor detect something that small/ narrow? If not then at what width/ total surface area will they reliably detect an object and stop?

I've been curious as to what extent the Model X doors can detect objects. There is this thread Chicago-Parking the X in a Garage, tight space (Video) where Dalia scratches the door on a concrete post (not to single you out Dalia :smile:). Also, I have rails for my garage door that protrude from the ceiling a foot or two (still need to measure the height from the floor). They are about an inch in total width, could the sensor detect something that small/ narrow? If not then at what width/ total surface area will they reliably detect an object and stop?
It can also detect speed limit signs and there is an indicator on the display behind the steering wheel to let you know it has detected one.

During my test drive, the "copilot" told me the forward camera detects speed limit signs. It also uses GPS data if it hasn't seen a sign. This tech has been around for a while from other car manufacturers.
it has nothing to do with the FWDs though.

During my test drive, the "copilot" told me the forward camera detects speed limit signs. It also uses GPS data if it hasn't seen a sign. This tech has been around for a while from other car manufacturers.
it has nothing to do with the FWDs though.

From another post of mine Speed limit sign camera - USA vs. Europe / UK? - Page 2

Mobileye sign reading:

Bef 2015: 40 signs in 25 countries
Beg of 2015: 250 signs in 50 countries
End of 2015: 1000 signs in 100 countries

Source: CTO of Mobileye in which Amnon Shashua talks about how Mobileye is incorporating deep learning into its self driving car research.
The Future of Computer Vision and Automated Driving by Prof. Amnon Shashua - YouTube (The Future of Computer Vision and Automated Driving by Prof. Amnon Shashua - YouTube)

Mine has been excellent at detecting obstructions when opening - all 5 doors. The FWD's detect the garage door rails perfectly. What the FWD's can't sense is someone standing under them. It has a resistance sensor which stopped the door AFTER it bonked my buddy in the head (fairly gently). I also closed the passenger door on my wife's leg when I prematurely stepped on the brake.

Mine has been excellent at detecting obstructions when opening - all 5 doors. The FWD's detect the garage door rails perfectly. What the FWD's can't sense is someone standing under them. It has a resistance sensor which stopped the door AFTER it bonked my buddy in the head (fairly gently). I also closed the passenger door on my wife's leg when I prematurely stepped on the brake.

That's good to hear, I'll be sure to not close the FWD's prematurely.