Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What can't I do while car ownership is being transferred?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking up a 2016 Model-S 75 tomorrow.

Used, but in great shape. Got an insane deal from a non-Tesla dealership. After extensive research (Carfax, inspection via 3rd party, etc.) decided to go for it.

Now, I am in the final stages of prepping to fly down to the dealership (another state, location is 400 miles from home) and drive the car back. I just happened to find out that there is a step I was unaware of previously, in this purchase process...

I have to provide documentation to Tesla Customer Support services for NA so they can "process" the transfer of the vehicle (the original owner has already factory reset the car; this is for the back-end stuff in Tesla's systems). Won't have the said documentation until I sign the final paperwork tomorrow at the dealership.

This means until the transfer is done, I will NOT see the car in (my) My Tesla account online. Which also means I will not be able to use the app on my phone or anything else related to my new car that requires the user/driver to be logged-in/authenticated via their My Tesla account.

So my question for all you current owners, or those who have experienced the above-mentioned first-hand, is: what should I steel myself for, that I will not be able to do while the My Tesla transfer process is occurring (will take 5-7 days)?

For example, will I have issues using Superchargers? Are there any specific features on the car I will not be able to use? Heck, is it even safe for me to be driving around in it, given the circumstances?

Last edited by a moderator:
The only issue you will have is not being able to look at the car through the app or use the app functions, such as HVAC, unlock, honk, flash and locate etc.
The car itself is 100% functional.
I had the same experience, I flew out to Nebraska from LA and drive it all the way back to CA without a hitch.

• Informative
Reactions: Kross
what should I steel myself for...
The psychological changes you will experience driving the most awesome car ever made! WARNING: driving a Tesla can be habit forming and lead to a healthy disgust of the idea of burning fossil fuel to propel a vehicle.

Forget about the Tesla smartphone app. It's an almost inconsequential frill compared to the total Tesla ownership experience.

The only issue you will have is not being able to look at the car through the app or use the app functions, such as HVAC, unlock, honk, flash and locate etc.
I had the same experience, I flew out to Nebraska from LA and drive it all the way back to CA without a hitch.

Exactly what I needed to know. THANK YOU!

Any other tips, since you're been through what I'm about to go through?

The psychological changes you will experience driving the most awesome car ever made! WARNING: driving a Tesla can be habit forming and lead to a healthy disgust of the idea of burning fossil fuel to propel a vehicle.

Forget about the Tesla smartphone app. It's an almost inconsequential frill compared to the total Tesla ownership experience.

Haha, DONE! :D Cannot wait!

And okay, thank you! That makes me feel better.

It took them 2 hours for me, and it showed in the app.. I assume you have the app downloaded to your phone, if not do that. I would fax, or email them as soon as the paperwork is signed.
Like others have said, the app is great but you will not lose any functionality to the car without it.

I bought a model S in a private sale about 2 months ago. As the others said, really the only thing you will be missing is accessing the car through the phone app. However, to transfer ownership you will need to fax or email a copy of the csr’s registration in your name as well as your driver’s license. If you’re buying the car in another state, then you may need to wait until you get back to your home state to register it. Once Tesla got the info from me it took them about 3 days for the car to show up in my mytesla account and be controllable from the app.

I bought a model S in a private sale about 2 months ago. As the others said, really the only thing you will be missing is accessing the car through the phone app. However, to transfer ownership you will need to fax or email a copy of the csr’s registration in your name as well as your driver’s license. If you’re buying the car in another state, then you may need to wait until you get back to your home state to register it. Once Tesla got the info from me it took them about 3 days for the car to show up in my mytesla account and be controllable from the app.

This is my current experience. Purchased the car in another state, drove it home. It's now been 3 weeks, and the original owner finally has the title from his bank and is mailing it to me. I will not be able to setup with Tesla until I have the car registered in my name from my state.

This is my current experience. Purchased the car in another state, drove it home. It's now been 3 weeks, and the original owner finally has the title from his bank and is mailing it to me. I will not be able to setup with Tesla until I have the car registered in my name from my state.

For what it’s worth, I had about a 6 week wait before I got my title, but in florida I was able to get a temporary registration with the bill of sale on the day I bought the car and Tesla accepted the temporary registration. I know all states are different, but that might be an option for you.

Even buying new thru Tesla, I was told app may not work for a few days. So I didn't try it until a few days after I had mine home.

I was told the same on my CPO and the app stated working within an hour of leaving the service center.

Think of it this way. Many of us have had loaners and with those you don't get mobile access. You realize how great it is but you can fully operate the vehicle without it.

Thank you, all!

I picked up the car yesterday; LOVING it thus far! You all were right; other than not being able to monitor charging remotely, or do other things via the phone app, everything else was just the same. By the way, my biggest takeaway from the 8-hour drive back from the dealership: Autopilot makes even the longest of trips fly by!

I put in a request to Tesla Cust Service via email and sent them my info and supporting documents (front/back of license, bill of sale, temporary registration info, and My Tesla account info). Got an email from them within 24 hours stating that they have begun processing of my request and will be back in touch when it is complete. Will keep you in the loop.

Reactions: JPUConn
Bringing this one back from the dead. Maybe this is a dumb question, but how do you supercharge if you don't have the car linked to your account? Planning on doing this same this relatively soon

Bringing this one back from the dead. Maybe this is a dumb question, but how do you supercharge if you don't have the car linked to your account? Planning on doing this same this relatively soon

That’s a good question, actually. I think this thread originally happened when all the cars got free supercharging, so it didn’t really matter. I’m not sure how it works now.