Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What capability does a current 2018 Model S have WITHOUT Enhanced Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Autopilot" is such a polarizing option. Unlike any other, it takes at least a day to get comfortable with even using it. Only after we rented a Tesla for a few days on TURO, >60 battery and Autopilot became our two must have options. If you had asked me to pay $5k for it after the first hour of driving, I would have said no way. Now I would pay $10k for that feature even with its current limitations without hesitation.

"Autopilot" is such a polarizing option. Unlike any other, it takes at least a day to get comfortable with even using it. Only after we rented a Tesla for a few days on TURO, >60 battery and Autopilot became our two must have options. If you had asked me to pay $5k for it after the first hour of driving, I would have said no way. Now I would pay $10k for that feature even with its current limitations without hesitation.
Well, I started this thread as we were contemplating the options for our new Model S 100D. We do a lot of highway travel as you can see from our signature. We have ordered our new Tesla with EAP.
Can you expound on what it is that you find so useful for AP?

We’ve had AP1 and EAP and for the first time on our 3rd Tesla (traded back MX100D) S100D, we opted to not get EAP.

Over the last 2.5yrs we’ve steadily experienced full 100% usability with AP1’s Mobileeye suite (only 4 cameras) and loved every minute of smooth, worryfree handling with zero nags...for 2.5k. To this day, AP1 on average still handles better than AP2 with half the cameras and half the software speed.

to....

AP2.5 in house Tesla (8 cameras), drunken AP curves, phantom braking, can’t recognize adjascent cars/trucks/motorbikes and nags every 30 seconds ...all that for 5k.

To us the value has steadily diminished over time and so until Tesla comes out with traffic light recognition and a partial FSD level 3, we’re out.

For highway, I can still see value so long as one is ok with constant nagging. Having tasted 1hour straight of handsfree and super smooth AP1 on the very first day we brought our 90D home early 2016...it’s hard to swallow current functionality.

Should have kept our original 90D AP1!

...useful...

I used to drive 2012 Model S for over 90,000 miles and by switching to my 2017 Model X autopilot, it has made my driving a lot more enjoyable:

The biggest improvement for myself is to reduce my level of road rage in stop and go traffic once I encounter a metropolitan like Los Angeles or San Francisco.

Although Autopilot is not a final product and owners can literally die for thinking it is, but it has been very useful on freeways because most scenarios are simple and it can handle them fine except for a few cases where owners have died for overreliance on the beta technology of course.

AP1’s Mobileeye suite (only 4 cameras)

AP1 only has 1 camera (it doesn't use the backup camera). I have no experience with AP2, but AP1 is instant stress relief in any traffic situation. I have used AP in >45min long lines to get into a National parks, toll booths, or just everyday on I-95 and AP definitely makes "driving more fun." We logged 15K miles this summer and AP did 92% of the driving.

2018-07-30 (1).png

Reactions: bmah
Totally false.
Why it is false, just came back from SC in mississauga, I was told that autopilot is required for these features. When I asked it was not like that before the current update, tech told me that now tesla want everyone to pay for it.
This is totally unacceptable, as sales man talked me into removing autopilot and said that the emergency braking is standard for all models. Which was true until last update.
So Vic does it still works for you?

Why it is false, just came back from SC in mississauga, I was told that autopilot is required for these features. When I asked it was not like that before the current update, tech told me that now tesla want everyone to pay for it.
This is totally unacceptable, as sales man talked me into removing autopilot and said that the emergency braking is standard for all models. Which was true until last update.
So Vic does it still works for you?

Mississauga SC is known to provide false and misleading info. Staff are usually inexperienced.
Try asking Lawrence SC...they know their stuff!

Mississauga SC is known to provide false and misleading info. Staff are usually inexperienced.
Try asking Lawrence SC...they know their stuff!
Lawrence is too far away, I only went to mississauga and Oakville. Went to mississauga SC as Oakville don't give loaner cars if your car is there for less than a week.
I still had to leave the car with them as the air conditioner broke down. Once I got their reason in the invoice I would like to see my OA.

Lawrence is too far away, I only went to mississauga and Oakville. Went to mississauga SC as Oakville don't give loaner cars if your car is there for less than a week.
I still had to leave the car with them as the air conditioner broke down. Once I got their reason in the invoice I would like to see my OA.
I got a loaner car every time (sample size 2) at Oakville. For only 1 day and night each.

The techs at Miss SC are pretty but good. The reception staff...not winning any CS awards. I don’t know how many times I was treated like 2nd rate and finally took to Oakville and Lawrence. What an immense difference!

Anyway I have a 2018 new 100D w/out AP. The car has emerg braking.

When my AP1 S85D was in the shop for servicing last week, I had a mid-2017 AP2 S75 loaner, no EAP/FSD. The non-traffic-aware cruise control was definitely a surprise even though I knew cruise control would be different, and I eventually decided just to not use it. The front collision warning was definitely active because the last person to drive the car had it configured to trigger if there's a target anywhere between it and the county line (that...may be a slight exaggeration...). Don't remember what software it was running, I want to say 2018.26 but I erased the screenshots I took on my phone.

I was pretty happy to get a Tesla loaner (i.e. not an ICE), but I was also happy to get my car back.

Bruce.

Finally got the call from SC my emergency braking wasn't working because the lidar is broken. They have to wait for it. Also got the 2018.28.7... installed. Still wondering why the lidar malfunction, car is only 6 months old.

Finally got the call from SC my emergency braking wasn't working because the lidar is broken. They have to wait for it. Also got the 2018.28.7... installed. Still wondering why the lidar malfunction, car is only 6 months old.

There is no currently-shipping Tesla vehicle with LIDAR. The sensors used on the Model S/X/3 are cameras, RADAR, and ultrasonics.

Bruce.

AP2.5 in house Tesla (8 cameras), drunken AP curves, phantom braking, can’t recognize adjascent cars/trucks/motorbikes and nags every 30 seconds ...all that for 5k.

To us the value has steadily diminished over time and so until Tesla comes out with traffic light recognition and a partial FSD level 3, we’re out.
!

I had a nearly new AP2+ loaner for a week last week and had a lot of driving to do and spent most of the time using EAP in and around my city to wring it out. I have to say I was glad to get my dinosaur P85+ back. The TACC has almost no glitches in its operation during my week with it, but the rest of the points above are the same experiences as mine. I'm holding on a M3 as I don't need one yet and a decision on AP2+ would probably be entirely about TACC. Hard phantom braking for a leaf blowing across the road, or a shadow is unnerving, as well as wandering over to semis in adjacent lanes @ 70 and the inability to position in the center of the lane turned me off. Much more work is needed. And I'd love to have tried an AP1 car. I get the legal reason for the nags, but between that an the need to be ready to yank back control has me out too for the time being.