Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What car awards: Model 3 #1 but model Y #10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022-05-14_14-34-16.png

Everything including Skoda and Kia Soul beat model Y. Why such hatred towards model Y.

I’ve said it elsewhere but I think the Y suspension will get revised before too long. Perhaps air suspension, or a more compliant passive setup. Your complaint seems to be fairly universal.
I'm not disagreeing with you per-se. The issue is are you just swapping camps by doing that? There are plenty of us who are perfectly happy with the suspension the way it is, and it's an incredibly safe, fun car that is selling well. It's just one factor, but the moose test videos of the Model Y give me a deep feeling of satisfaction, as does the way it handles, and the fact it's virtually impossible to roll them... and the suspension is key to that.

But 10th ?
Yeah, it's daft. I've never put much stock in the big car mags anyway.

I'm not disagreeing with you per-se. The issue is are you just swapping camps by doing that? There are plenty of us who are perfectly happy with the suspension the way it is, and it's an incredibly safe, fun car that is selling well. It's just one factor, but the moose test videos of the Model Y give me a deep feeling of satisfaction, as does the way it handles, and the fact it's virtually impossible to roll them... and the suspension is key to that.

Yeah, it's daft. I've never put much stock in the big car mags anyway.
I have always driven cars with quite hard suspension. When I got the M3 LR I thought it was a bit soft for a while, I thought maybe I should have got a P. Now I am used to it so I hope I am not too old to adjust back the other way.
Friend of mine with a Cayenne with air suspension swapped if for an MY with 20" wheels. He was very worried about the reported suspension "issues" but after a test drive he decided to go for it and says it is fine.

Reactions: VX Foxy
Why, exactly?

I'm biased, but I can totally see WhatCar wanting to give it a higher rating but feeling like they can't... because they put the Model 3 in the top spot. They'd have so many absolute ragers emailing them if a Tesla was in the top spot for both tests.

For every negative review, there's a positive one. The Model Y was just given top spot in CarWow's electric SUV test, beating out the Audi and Volvo which were both far more expensive. FWIW, I've always seen WhatCar as having a highly conservative, risk-averse editorial stance. They have a "demographic" they cater for. (Not saying any more on that 🤣). CarWow have also trumped lots of other media outlets by addressing things that most journalists just completely miss. i.e. price comparisons almost NEVER mention the fact that the 55k starting price is more equivalent to a 65-70k spec with other manufacturers.

There are brand and EV-specific nuances that a lot of these journalists just still aren't up to speed on yet. Will that stop them spouting their opinions as fact? No... see above: "journalists".
Agreed. And Audi and BMW etc spend a regular fortune on advertising in this and similar magazines. Tesla spend zip. Bound to play out eventually.

Does the Model Y have crashy handling regardless of which wheels you pick?

What’s the Model Y like in the 19 inch Gemini wheels compared to the Model 3 on the 18 inch Aero wheels?

I’m considering trading up to a Model Y, but my model 3 on 18s is as harsh as I’m prepared to accept.

What’s the Model Y like in the 19 inch Gemini wheels compared to the Model 3 on the 18 inch Aero wheels?

I’m considering trading up to a Model Y, but my model 3 on 18s is as harsh as I’m prepared to accept.
I took a Model Y on 19” rims for a test drive and found the suspension notably harder than my Model 3 LR on 18” rims. I’m at the limit of what I find acceptable now, so I ruled the Y out as a result.

Reactions: Llama.
I just completed my 5,000 miles on a 2-month-old model Y. The suspension is acceptable. The rattles, especially from the boot, require tweaking, but more than enough videos on YouTube to explain it. The PSI must be maintained at 42 which is tricky during warm weather when the air expands but not impossible. The efficiency and tech more than compensate and not even one day we have regretted the purchase.

I took a Y test drive on 19s and found it about the same as my M3P on 20s. No worse.

Reactions: Sixer
Even carwow strangely agrees that model Y is the best SUV out of Audi Q4 and Volvo C40.
why "Even" and why "Strangely" Matt is a big Tesla fan even though he generally does not like their appearance that much? Even bought one for his mum.
Do you mean because the videos are to promote their business and their main business model is aggregating offers from dealers on new cars something that is undermined by Teslas direct sales approach. In which case I guess you have a point.

why "Even" and why "Strangely" Matt is a big Tesla fan even though he generally does not like their appearance that much? Even bought one for his mum.
Do you mean because the videos are to promote their business and their main business model is aggregating offers from dealers on new cars something that is undermined by Teslas direct sales approach. In which case I guess you have a point.
Yes, Matt has another personal YouTube channel where he speaks from his heart. Carwow channel is mostly pro-german and used to be anti-tesla. They used to exclude M3P from all drag races to make BMW the winner ;)

View attachment 804125
Everything including Skoda and Kia Soul beat model Y. Why such hatred towards model Y.

View attachment 804125

But 10th ?
Exactly. But how can a list which includes every car in production over £30k be a credible list? How can the Taycan and BMW IX feature in a list also includes the eNero and the Soul? It detracts from the 2 Kias which would both win categories including cheaper cars? Where is the Volvo and the Polestar? The award is clearly b*ll*cks!

Is a lack of total admiration really hatred? At least it’s on the list?
I think it's as much about the difference between the M3 and the MY. For the M3 to be No1 overall but the MY to be 10th in SUVs either they really really hate the suspension or it seems to make no sense. And if they hate it that much then that's a bit worrying ( I have one on order). I appreciate some people here have agreed that the suspension is that bad so maybe it is fair enough but its definitely worthy of a discussion.