Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What car awards: Model 3 #1 but model Y #10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022-05-14_14-34-16.png

Everything including Skoda and Kia Soul beat model Y. Why such hatred towards model Y.

View attachment 804125
Everything including Skoda and Kia Soul beat model Y. Why such hatred towards model Y.
I have a particular anger and hatred reserved for the UK motoring press. Especially Steve Fowler.

Why do I feel do strongly ?
I grew up reading “real“ journalists like LJK Setright, Kevin Ash, Gavin Green, Tony Dron, Russel Bulgin.

Unfortunately, in 2022, it’s impossible to find any truth in print media.
The journalists are not if the same technical ability as those above.
My 70/80/90’s journalists had integrity.

Last year; I was looking to replace a 2 year old X5 with a BEV.
I almost disregarded the MY because of the, critical, written reports on its ride/handling.

I’m glad I didn’t. My MY is utterly brilliant.
It’s easily surpassed the “touring capability” of the X5.
It’s is a super vhicle for my Algarve to Warwick ”commute”.

Last edited by a moderator:
I drove an EV6. I really liked it, but as a family car the boot is tiny. The Y is a family wagon compared to the EV6. If you want bikes, surfboards, tents, dog......in a car the Y is in a different category to the EV6.

I have to say I got into my audi A6 (2015) today after driving the y for the last few weeks. The y does not come close in terms of noise dampening. The Audi is so quiet. The y is better then my 2020 M3 for wind noise but the road noise is awful. I only really noticed when going back in the audi. I also have to say the Audis paint is also far more resilient to bird crap. 2015 A6 rarely gets washed by my wife, but leave bird poo on it for a week and not a mark. 24hrs on my Y and it left a mark i could not remove.

Don't get my wrong I love my Tesla for all the new stuff it does much better then the rest. But not on the noise and paint robustness -they could learn from the current manufacturers.
The MY is far quieter than an X5 M sport at speeds up to 240kph….. what more do you want ?

Its louder than an E class or a 520, but perhaps it could be considered it unfair to compare it with a ‘slow “ Exec saloon?

My model Y has been in today - 2 months old or so, new seat required and another 3 days or so needed to sort the roof squeaks and they’re not confident. Having had an X5 before that was faultless for 60k miles I find it hard to recognise the comments that a MY is quieter than an X5. I do remember an annoying faint metallic rattle in the X5, turns out it was my watch strap.

My model Y has been in today - 2 months old or so, new seat required and another 3 days or so needed to sort the roof squeaks and they’re not confident. Having had an X5 before that was faultless for 60k miles I find it hard to recognise the comments that a MY is quieter than an X5. I do remember an annoying faint metallic rattle in the X5, turns out it was my watch strap.
Maybe you looked after the X5 and didn't use it for drag races and stunt videos on YouTube? My Model Y is absolutely fine with no squeaks or rattle noises anymore thanks to DIY fixes, sillicon sprays, and Gummi pflege.

Reactions: Stuart Watson
These posts in efficiency are nonsense.

Do a 300 mile round trip or share your lifetime. Along with which tires, psi and speeds.

My friend can’t get close to my lifetime efficiency in my S Refresh on 19” vs his Model Y on 19”. He has a lead foot and refuses to believe it.
I did a 1000 mile over 4 days and shared the stats on another thread. I will be doing another one in summer.

God forbid anyone calls my model y an suv. Fart noises in their general direction from the boom box is a given.

It’s a large hatchback! And it’s not fat, it’s big-boned!
Model Y is the definition for a crossover SUV. It is a crossover from M3.
It is Sporty.
It has Utility and even great towing capacity
It is a Vehicle

Many other crossovers are neither sporty nor have utility

Reactions: Stuart Watson
Maybe you looked after the X5 and didn't use it for drag races and stunt videos on YouTube? My Model Y is absolutely fine with no squeaks or rattle noises anymore thanks to DIY fixes, sillicon sprays, and Gummi pflege.
You can’t have had it for more than a couple of months and you’re having to do all that including DIY fixes? Come on.. a new car shouldn’t need all that

Reactions: ACarneiro
Whilst I agree with your general sentiment and am relieved to hear of your good experience….
surely a drag race in an unmodified EV is not overly taxing on the structure and power train, and is unlikely to account for squeals and rattles?