Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Car EV feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What Car? magazine have a done a feature on how far a selection of EVs will travel (on test track) and what happens when they run out of power. Tesla is still the most efficient but interesting that they’ve said that the 3 and Y both behave differently when they run out of power.
A3F3AFEF-D3AC-4787-8170-74DEEF62D3AD.jpeg
9695BB25-4AA3-4DAA-A623-1D89F455DC74.jpeg

It matters because it sets the expectation there is a reliable buffer, and there might not be one, or not as big as subsequent posts have shown.

It is a pretty big article to cover something that you'd never do, I don't recall them ever doing it for petrol cars where they compared how a BMW ran out of fuel compared to a Mercedes. So I also have a concern it's reinforcing the mindset to those who do not yet have an EV that range is an issue and you need to know this kind of thing because it's important.
But that's just the point - you should never assume there's any buffer, nor plan on using it. I see your point, though - people may see this and start assuming. At that point I have to fall back to 'stupid is as stupid does.'

As far as ICE cars go, many cars have the fuel pump submerged in the tank, using the petrol as to cool the pump and running the tank dry risks damaging the pump so it's a bit different. The other difference is that EVs give a much more precise indication of battery charge remaining, down to a single percent. ICE vehicles use an analogue gauge and turn on the fuel light when there's about ⅛ tank left. Many cars do give an approximate 'distance to empty' reading but that's also an estimate.

What Car? magazine have a done a feature on how far a selection of EVs will travel (on test track) and what happens when they run out of power. Tesla is still the most efficient but interesting that they’ve said that the 3 and Y both behave differently when they run out of power.
View attachment 836502View attachment 836503
M3 LR battery size is just 70 kwh!?!? I though it's 80-82 but the usable is like 76+!?

I find it fascinating and bizarre how often I read about people running their cars down to empty or precipitously low SoC.

It’s bad enough when people do it in ICE cars, but at least you can walk and back to a petrol station with a jerry can. We all know what’s involved in getting a depleted EV going again, and how long you might be in some random place while you wait for it to charge up a bit again.

Why do people do it? I honestly don’t understand.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I find it fascinating and bizarre how often I read about people running their cars down to empty or precipitously low SoC.

It’s bad enough when people do it in ICE cars, but at least you can walk and back to a petrol station with a jerry can. We all know what’s involved in getting a depleted EV going again, and how long you might be in some random place while you wait for it to charge up a bit again.

Why do people do it? I honestly don’t understand.
Agreed - the lowest I’ve had mine was about 15%. That was driving home and I had a backup location to stop and charge if it looked too tight.

Reactions: Durzel
They should have used the range of that model, the chart shows a crazy shortfall because it’s wrong.

They’re also setting the expectation you have 10 or so miles after zero, I think you’d be living dangerously assuming that in real life.

But it highlights a problem, maybe consequence is a better word, mentioned elsewhere, every few months a Tesla is different to the same model but made earlier, any article saying this is how a M3 or MY is is often only relevant to that production window. The article suggests a M3 and MY behave differently, but do they, or does a 2021 model behave differently to a 2022?
The heat pump does make a difference which is on some early 2021 model 3s

I've regularly (and quite happily) run my battery down to 2-3%. The state of charge is there so I'm going to use it. That being said I would never let the battery reach zero...AND THEN keep driving until it stops. That's just irresponsible and article focusing on that makes little sense.

There's actually good evidence that discharging and charging the battery from 60-40% four times causes less degradation than a single cycle from 90-10%.
I normally charge up to 85% and don’t discharge below 20%. It’s only when I go on trips that I charge to 100% and drive down to low single digits. Which is probably more than average but not enough to cause any significant degradation. I’ve done about 8,000 miles in the last year and lost no range.

The previous year I kept charge between 80-20% and lost 5%.

I normally charge up to 85% and don’t discharge below 20%. It’s only when I go on trips that I charge to 100% and drive down to low single digits. Which is probably more than average but not enough to cause any significant degradation. I’ve done about 8,000 miles in the last year and lost no range.

Yes, with an SR+ you are obliged to push percentages to cover serious distances. As you say, if it's to facilitate longer trips and you charge promptly it shouldn't be an issue. Having said that I drove back from the south coast of England to the Scottish Borders not starting out with a high SOC ... about 56% I think ... but I still only needed 2 charging stops en route... which isn't bad for an older SR+.

Compelling as that evidence is i am not sure your study has accounted for all of the variables