Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What car/s did you come from?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was surprised by the older Mazdas in the past couple posts. I came from a 2006 Mazda 6 that I bought used in 2007. I have never really been a car guy, so this is definitely the most I have spent on a car. If I didn't buy a Tesla I probably would have purchased a Honda Accord.

oh god, i had not thought of it that way before. even if i bough out my two currently leases, plus my purchased miata, im still like 50k short.
ugh...

It's a diff size/class of car, so there's the premium for that. Plus for any ICE, run the projected expenses (& I mean all of them (gas, smog, oil changes, 30,60,90K, brakes, etc) for 50-100K mile projected and the comparison gets better (not even, but better).

VW Scirocco 1.4 TSI (not a diesel / scandal machine!)

Was going to move up to a much larger car anyway. I lease my cars; the tax advantages of an EV meant that the MS 70D doesn't cost that much more to lease than an Audi A6 (and once you specify similar engine power, 4WD, all the driver assist technologies etc - the A6 gets very pricey). It's actually not that much more to lease than my VW scirocco was once you price in the fuel saving and the benefit in kind tax advantage. The scary part was that no-one in the NE of England seemed to have one at the time ... I had to travel 200 miles to Birmingham to even take a test drive.

Then decided if I didn't take the plunge I'd always regret it. Definitely the right decision.

Reactions: Ormond
My daily driver when I got the Model S in January 2013 was a 2012 3/4 ton Suburban. I had an Audi TT convertible with the 3.2 V6 that was the fun car I drove when no kids were involved. Both of those cars are now gone.

In a month or so I'm going to trade in 2595 for a P100D. It makes me a little sad and a lot excited.

Reactions: Sousagil90D
image.jpeg
M5 2014 Competition Package 575BHP/501T

Reactions: Sousagil90D
It's a diff size/class of car, so there's the premium for that. Plus for any ICE, run the projected expenses (& I mean all of them (gas, smog, oil changes, 30,60,90K, brakes, etc) for 50-100K mile projected and the comparison gets better (not even, but better).

yah but that only applies to the miata, both current leases are EVs. and, in all truthfulness, the model s is actually a 60,000 car.

2012 Nissan Leaf
2007 Mazda 5

The Model S will cost more than all my past cars combined! :eek:

Just did the math, the original MSRP of every car I've ever owned was more than all the previous cars combined, though the total was usually close to the original MSRP for the newer car. However my Model S is close to 4X the MSRP of all the cars I've owned before combined! It's worth 50X the 2016 Kelly Blue Book value of the car I moved up from.

This thread gets my blood pressure up a little... the British Columbia government modified their EV rebate program to cap out just below the lowest Tesla MSRP. When I pressured them via emails to all ministers involved, the answer was that those people who buy Tesla's are clearly rich and not in need of the rebate.

In reality, Tesla sells to people from a wide range of income levels, as this thread shows. Yes, those with money buy them. But it's also extremely likely that someone who would never consider paying that much for an ICE, will somehow find a way to finance a Tesla. And more people would do the same if the rebate wasn't designed to protect the dealers selling the short range EV and PHEV cars.

Reactions: Nevek
2009 Dodge Challenger SE -> 2016 Kia Soul EV
2013 VW Golf R -> Tesla Model X 60D

Slower performance (on paper) in both cases :D

Got our first electricity bill after solar today (with net metering credit, includes ~55 mile commute and HVAC 24/7 in Texas): $24.57. Down from $230.63 same time last year (without EV). Never turning back.

//TB

Reactions: DÆrik