Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What car/s did you come from?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread gets my blood pressure up a little... the British Columbia government modified their EV rebate program to cap out just below the lowest Tesla MSRP. When I pressured them via emails to all ministers involved, the answer was that those people who buy Tesla's are clearly rich and not in need of the rebate.

In reality, Tesla sells to people from a wide range of income levels, as this thread shows. Yes, those with money buy them. But it's also extremely likely that someone who would never consider paying that much for an ICE, will somehow find a way to finance a Tesla. And more people would do the same if the rebate wasn't designed to protect the dealers selling the short range EV and PHEV cars.

Washington state eliminated their sales tax exemption for any EV with an MSRP above $42,500. California limited their tax rebate, but they did it based on income, not the price of the car.

If I had bought an ICE, it would have been one with a MSRP below $42K.

Washington state eliminated their sales tax exemption for any EV with an MSRP above $42,500. California limited their tax rebate, but they did it based on income, not the price of the car.
Well, if you want to get into sales tax... LOL... in BC they ramp up the Provincial sales tax from 7% to 10% a point at a time between $55k and $57k. So under $55k, 7%. $55-56k, 8%. $56k-57k, 9%. Over $57k, 10%. In all cases you must also add the Federal GST of 5%...

I've never understood how $1k makes a car 1% more 'luxurious'...

And needless to say, there is NO break given for EV's in these taxes... you just pay!

In spite of the political spin on being green in BC, the reality is just the opposite. Unfortunately.

1998 Chevy Prizm (purchased new), 16 years and 189,000 miles. I won't claim the biggest upgrade in going to my Model S 85, but I think I'm pretty high on the list.

Attachments

• IMG_20140319_105818_242.jpg
    IMG_20140319_105818_242.jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 40