Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What car wax do you use?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Opti-seal is super easy to use (WOWA) but it isn't very slick. It also doesn't last but might be the easiest product to use.

Soft99 is a bit different if you enjoy a real slick and hydrophobic finish. They say it lasts a year but I am skeptical that it will get me through the Toronto winter. If it is still on in March, I will be ecstatic.

Opti-seal is super easy to use (WOWA) but it isn't very slick. It also doesn't last but might be the easiest product to use.

Soft99 is a bit different if you enjoy a real slick and hydrophobic finish. They say it lasts a year but I am skeptical that it will get me through the Toronto winter. If it is still on in March, I will be ecstatic.
Menzerna's power lock has to be the easiest thing in the world to apply (and especially remove) and is very slick. It lasts months and gives one of the best hydrophobic finishes I've ever seen. I think it goes by a different name in the USA. It's a German product.

Reactions: Alf415
Black Fire Wet Diamond. Super easy to use, great shine and the water beads up/runs off just as fast as it does off of the wrapped frontend.

Bonus: Bug carcasses washed off of the BFWD almost as easy as it does off of the ClearGuard Nano.

• Disagree
Reactions: Snerruc
We have a Model 3 & a Model S.
I have invested many hours in research plus a bunch of trial & error to find the best products & procedures. Many suggestions from members on TMC.
All now boiled into one video that I posted on YouTube yesterday!
All product links for everything used on the video in the YouTube description. Please Subscribe. More on the way...

Tesla Car Wash !!!

I use Turtle wax, liquid. An electric buffer I use a buffer to apply the wax. Nano/ceramic coating is just a bunch of Bull crap.

Turtle was it is! Scientifically, wax is wax. I use spray on liquid, spread with a soft cloth, gently. It dries clear and slick. Might take two coats behind the wheel wells, but it's super easy. My wife waxes below the door handles, and I do the windows, then wax the hood and trunk lid. Fifteen minutes or so.

I also never use soap on my cars (150,000 miles on Teslas -- why take off wax just to put it back on!), just spray with distilled water (maybe $3) in my sprayer, wipe with a soft cloth. We found soft cloths at Bed Bath and Beyond. There aren't many in the wild.

Turtle was it is! Scientifically, wax is wax. I use spray on liquid, spread with a soft cloth, gently. It dries clear and slick. Might take two coats behind the wheel wells, but it's super easy. My wife waxes below the door handles, and I do the windows, then wax the hood and trunk lid. Fifteen minutes or so.

I also never use soap on my cars (150,000 miles on Teslas -- why take off wax just to put it back on!), just spray with distilled water (maybe $3) in my sprayer, wipe with a soft cloth. We found soft cloths at Bed Bath and Beyond. There aren't many in the wild.

I would like to try your method for "washing" and waxing.
When you spray with distilled water, what type of sprayer do you use?

A key aspect needed for any wax to work well (adhere, shine, protect) is surface prep. You can spend a lot of time or do this:
Wash car well using any decent car wash
Use a clay bar method (YouTube it...it’s easy) to remove surface contamination that washing won’t remove. And yes, you DO have surface contamination)
Spray Ironx to remove remaining contaminants.
Rinse down.

now apply any wax or sealant you want.

Some skip the clay process and just do ironx or vice versa. Some apply a polish before the sealant. But main point: get the surface truly clean and ready.
Just like painting: the effort is in the prep work

Reactions: quickstrike12
This is a pretty old thread, but I'm pretty happy with CQuartz UK as a protectant. I use WashWax All to clean the car. It takes me about 30-40 minutes, but I can do it in my garage and there are no water spots to dry up or detail out after a traditional wash. I also have no micro scratches which is great

Waterless Car Wash - Wash Wax ALL

You can also buy it on Amazon which is where I got my supply. It should last for years at the rate I use it, washing every 2-3 weeks.

I like the idea of using a pressure washer, but in practice it doesn't seem to do a good enough job, even with a foam cannon and a gas powered pressure washer. The pressure washer and foam cannon is a good choice for a very dirty vehicle though. I blast dirt off my truck before hitting it with the foam. It is much faster than the waterless wash. That said, my truck sits outside and it is not a looker, so water spots and small bits of dirt aren't really a concern.

What car wax do you guys use after washing your MS? Any recommendations? I've been using Meguiar's NXT tech wax 2.0 (liquid) but it doesn't seem to last long or give that nice sheen to the car. FYI, I just apply and wipe off - don't use a buffer. Thanks!

I am a big fan of Griots. I know it is more work than some want... but I use the synthetic clay, machine polish 4 & then the sealant. The good news - the polish & sealant hand buff off rather easily - which is good since I too do not use a buffer. One more thing to add - the black shine trim restorer is AMAZING. It really does make the trim look like new... which is saying something as I use on the 2010 Roadster and 2013 MS.

This is a pretty old thread, but I'm pretty happy with CQuartz UK as a protectant. I use WashWax All to clean the car. It takes me about 30-40 minutes, but I can do it in my garage and there are no water spots to dry up or detail out after a traditional wash. I also have no micro scratches which is great

Waterless Car Wash - Wash Wax ALL

You can also buy it on Amazon which is where I got my supply. It should last for years at the rate I use it, washing every 2-3 weeks.

I like the idea of using a pressure washer, but in practice it doesn't seem to do a good enough job, even with a foam cannon and a gas powered pressure washer. The pressure washer and foam cannon is a good choice for a very dirty vehicle though. I blast dirt off my truck before hitting it with the foam. It is much faster than the waterless wash. That said, my truck sits outside and it is not a looker, so water spots and small bits of dirt aren't really a concern.

I used to use that on my plane and it's good stuff.