TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What car will you be coming from?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by timpoo, Nov 19, 2014.

1. timpoo

timpoo Member

Inspired by MangroveMike's twitter picture, I thought I'd start a topic on what cars everyone is coming from.

Obviously only post if you're comfortable, I can imagine some people not wanting to say they're coming from a, for example, 2014 Rolls Royce Phantom or something :p

I'll be coming from a 2008 Peugeot 308, so big jump for me. The good old Peugeot will still be used as a second car (for the missus :D)

2. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Mercedes B200 turbo. Believe it or not this is as powerful as my previous Lexus LS 430!! The turbo and light weight makes all the difference.

3. heosat

heosat Member

BMW 123d Coupe. Frankly the Model S is far too much car for us but we need the range so we are happy to pay the exorbitant premium right now. We can't wait for the Model 3.

4. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Fiat 500. Great gas mileage and a fun car but I'm looking to go further... all electric is the way to go! No gas at all.

5. wpapua

wpapua Member

Parted with a classic, 1962 Citroen ID19, after 20 years ! Wife retaining her very economical Ford Fiesta (diesel) Econetic. Because of rural living, not able to go entirely fossil fuel free, although solar should make a very worthy contribution to running Sig 'TINGB'.

6. WhiteStar

WhiteStar Member

Nissan LEAF. A great car for city driving except range is the obvious downside without any Level-3 charge options outside of Sydney or anywhere else except 2 in Melbourne. I've read that Tesla doesn't do trade-ins. Tesla told me they do so maybe the first EV trade-in in Australia?

7. Matta

Matta Member

I sold my last car to my mate for $1K that did then did the Shitbox rally in it.

I've always been of the opinion "The car I want, or A to B" and I've never wanted a car like the Model S before in my life.

Here's a pic of it, white BA falcon.

10463789_10152529248277386_5652125320373654336_o.jpg

Wife will continue to drive a Lancer. Apparently the Model S is too shiny for her to drive every day. Her loss :)

8. dcasnowdon

dcasnowdon Member

2001 Corolla -- Big jump for us, and we certainly wouldn't be buying such a nice car if it wasn't the only really practical all-electric option. I don't drive a car usually (walk to work), but my wife drives 50 km each way from Central Sydney to work in the North West.

9. Ainkara

Ainkara Member

When Model 3 comes out, I assume I will still have my current car... So whenever I can afford it, upgrading from Toyota echo. Or maybe a leaf by then. Getting really sick of petrol knowing there's another option.

10. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

#10 meloccom, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    I was driving my 1999 Mercedes A160 that I have owned since new until a texting teenager crashed into it last year and wrote it off. :-(
    I had to scramble for a stop gap car for a year and bought a 2009 Holden VE SV6 Utility which has been excellent practice for getting used to a big car.
    My brother is getting rid of his old truck soon and has promised to buy it off me when the Tesla comes.
    Hmm - Must send him an e-mail to tell him to get ready.
    VEuteRHF.jpg

11. BlueTan85

BlueTan85 Member

Coming from a pre-parking-sensors 2013 Model S. :)

12. Adapptor

Adapptor Member

2004 Range Rover. Consumes a small oil field every time you start it. Won't miss that, nor the exorbitant maintenance costs. Will miss the amazing arm chair like seats and general fit and finish. Wife has a Disco 3 which we'll keep for the long haul beach/camp trips and a new Golf GTI, which I have to say is an awesome little car. Having said that I expect us to let that go as well, given the lack of use case moving forward.

Rangie.jpeg

13. JOH

JOH Member

Lexus LS430.

14. Jimat

Jimat Member

2009 Prius iTech
    Wife will sell her VW Golf and take over the Prius.

15. Mark E

Mark E Member

Porsche 928 GT. The model S will be the first 4 door car I've bought for myself. I've owned the 928 for sooo long that it's hard to imagine being without it - but with no more room in the garage I'll either sell it or rent somewhere close by for it.

16. MangroveMike

MangroveMike Member

#16 MangroveMike, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    Thanks Timpoo!

Yep, traded my Mercedes ML63 AMG today. It was a big trade up when I got it 3 years ago, but what an aural soundtrack. I love my cars but the big Mercs footprint on our planet was a bit too big for the rest of my ethics. I feel cleansed now :)

The Model S ticked all the boxes that no other electric car could - size (family of 4), style, performance and super hi-tech.

We will stick with my wife's 2004 Kluger. Until the charging infrastructure is built up we will need it for longer trips, and with kids and friends, the 7 seats are a feature she won't give up.

17. mspcooper

mspcooper Member

Wife has a Lexus IS250, I have an Infiniti FX37S. Lexus will be sent to my cousin, wife might get the Infiniti and I might end up using Model S. She loves her iPad, i wonder she might like the Model S more than I do(after looking at the centre screen) then I might have to get the P85D or X (which I have a reservation for).

18. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

The Tesla when ordered (P85D) with all options sans the rear seats will replace a 2011 1/2 Volvo XC60 Turbo 6 (which also was fully loaded with options). I will probably order the S in about one year for April 2016 delivery.... far far away.

19. JFK

JFK Member

I have a 2012 Prius and my wife has a 2012 Prius C. Probably trade them both in on a Volt for my wife. I would consider a Leaf but battery degradation and range is an issue.

The Model S is a big investment for me but I am worth it!

20. green1

green1 Active Member

The plan is to sell my 1994 Mitsubishi Delica Spacegear to buy an S85D... The plan also involves saving up for another 18 months...