Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What car will you be coming from?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife will sell her Honda Jazz and take over my more economical white leather 2006 Prius until a small 'cute' city EV appears that can also make it up the mountain from Sydney to Leura on weekends. For Australia, Model 3 seems set for 2018, and a longer-range better-looking Leaf for 2017 but these when they appear may be large for a Sydney city car. There isn't much else on the horizon right now. The future Smart and present MIEV are maybe cute, but they won't make it up the mountain. The i3 scored bottom in the cuteness test, and would probably need o use the plodding auxiliary gas engine for the mountain, not a nice prospect on the Great Western. The Volt is an OK car but too big and not cute enough. The Kia EV not cute at all and not even scheduled for Oz.

She would love a Zoe, which is very cute, small outside, large inside, agile, and also might make it up the mountain, but it hasn't shown up as was originally promised. With my one data point, it's clear they would sell like hotcakes to the ladies in Sydney and Melbourne. Unfortunately Renault management is off with the fairies, promoting leased batteries, Twizies and Kangoos.

Parted with a classic, 1962 Citroen ID19, after 20 years ! Wife retaining her very economical Ford Fiesta (diesel) Econetic. Because of rural living, not able to go entirely fossil fuel free, although solar should make a very worthy contribution to running Sig 'TINGB'.

Beauty, My old man had one of those when I was growing up. There's a half restored one in his shed right now. They are a really great driving experience, so far ahead of their time. The on in the shed is the model with the stylized headlights that turn (DS21 maybe?).

____

Finding it interesting seeing the different cars people are coming from.. Sort of half luxury premium cars and half eco commuters.

I'm probably waiting for a model 3.. If I were to go for a model S, it would can the wife and I's plans to sell our speccy and build our dream home soon. Maybe once that's done I'll be in a better position.

Current car is a new shape diesel i30. Before that was a 2005 Liberty GT Wagon. Miss the power, don't miss the fuel bills.
Oh, and the old man and I built an EV (DC) 89 charade.. get around in that a bit. :tongue:

Last edited:
wpapua said:
Parted with a classic, 1962 Citroen ID19, after 20 years
Beauty, My old man had one of those when I was growing up. There's a half restored one in his shed right now. They are a really great driving experience, so far ahead of their time.
You may enjoy this, if you haven't seen it yet

Disruptive technology..

Last edited by a moderator:
Finding it interesting seeing the different cars people are coming from.. Sort of half luxury premium cars and half eco commuters.

Yeah, definitely. The Model S is pretty unique in that it captures two markets pretty effectively - both the traditional luxury sedan market, as well as the tech/early-adopter/environmentally-conscious buyer. Personally, I'd never have dreamt of spending as much on a car as I would have on the Model S - definitely not a traditional luxury car buyer, but the disruptive nature of the Model S was enough to have me moving up a few price brackets.

2011 Porsche Cayenne S Petrol. But my wife now has a 2015 Porsche Macan S Diesel so keeping a Porsche in the family. Funnily enough the Macan S Diesel qualifies for the same low fuel consumption luxury tax break that the Tesla Model S gets.

If it wasn't for the Tesla Model S I'd be about to get a 2015 Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid (plug-in) right about now.

I will most likely not have the funds for a Tesla until Model 3. And then I’ll (hopefully) come from my current car which is one of these (A used one, for less than half the price from when it was new.).

passat.jpg

Image credit: VW

passat_interior.jpg

Just different wheels and exterior color. And a manual transmission instead of this automatic one. And this interior has an ALLTRACK logo. I of course do not drive an ALLTRACK. Instead I drive the 'regular' Station wagon. Apart from that logo, the interior is the exactly the same.

There is just no way I can currently afford a Tesla. And at the moment I need that kind of range to earn a living. In Sweden you can get a methane-propelled version of the euro-spec VW Passat Station wagon. Also, in Sweden ~60% of all methane is produced locally from recycled organic waste from households, farms and food processing industries and such. There is ABSOLUTELY NO FRACKING ANYWHERE IN SWEDEN. As far as I’m aware there’s no fracking in any Scandinavian country. In theory almost 70% of all traffic on Swedish roads could be propelled by methane from recycled organic waste if all that waste was indeed recycled. Unfortunately that’s (very) far from the case (And it’s probably an even more distant prospect in the US…).

Anyway... From an environmental impact standpoint, I think one could argue that driving this version of the Passat in Sweden is on par with driving the latest gen Prius. It also hopefully means a little less money to the dictator of Saudi Arabia and his cohorts.

Having to drive a car with an ICE is pure torture.

I will most likely not have the funds for a Tesla until Model 3. And then I’ll (hopefully) come from my current car which is one of these (A used one, for less than half the price from when it was new.).

View attachment 64469
View attachment 64470

Just different wheels and exterior color. And a manual transmission instead of this automatic one. And this interior has an ALLTRACK logo. I of course do not drive an ALLTRACK. Instead I drive the 'regular' Station wagon. Apart from that logo, the interior is the exactly the same.

There is just no way I can currently afford a Tesla. And at the moment I need that kind of range to earn a living. In Sweden you can get a methane-propelled version of the euro-spec VW Passat Station wagon. Also, in Sweden ~60% of all methane is produced locally from recycled organic waste from households, farms and food processing industries and such. There is ABSOLUTELY NO FRACKING ANYWHERE IN SWEDEN. As far as I’m aware there’s no fracking in any Scandinavian country. In theory almost 70% of all traffic on Swedish roads could be propelled by methane from recycled organic waste if all that waste was indeed recycled. Unfortunately that’s (very) far from the case (And it’s probably an even more distant prospect in the US…).

Anyway... From an environmental impact standpoint, I think one could argue that driving this version of the Passat in Sweden is on par with driving the latest gen Prius. It also hopefully means a little less money to the dictator of Saudi Arabia and his cohorts.

Having to drive a car with an ICE is pure torture.
Yes, that is the main reason i went electric. Enough with sending my money to my enemies. Good Australian sunlight or coal to drive on!!