Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What cars are more fun to drive than a M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just for fun while I'm waiting for my new M3P to arrive, when you were car shopping, what other models (if any) were as fun to drive as the Tesla? For me, I liked the BMW 3 and 5 series, and I also loved the Ford Mustang Shelby.

In the process of building a 135i track car. It should be +/- 2700 pounds with the cage in, is currently 475whp at 3200 pounds and is fairly quick. Can't wait to get the motor finished and another 500 pounds removed with another 100-150hp added. Not even remotely as fast from a dig as the M3P, but once you're going this car is rowdy AF. Plus I missed the smell of race fuel, so it solves multiple needs over the Tesla.:p

I will say Tesla has ruined me with their steering setup. The M3P's steering is so precise it makes pretty much everything near its class seem subpar in that department.

Reactions: OUengineer
In the process of building a 135i track car. It should be +/- 2700 pounds with the cage in, is currently 475whp at 3200 pounds and is fairly quick. Can't wait to get the motor finished and another 500 pounds removed with another 100-150hp added. Not even remotely as fast from a dig as the M3P, but once you're going this car is rowdy AF. Plus I missed the smell of race fuel, so it solves multiple needs over the Tesla.:p

I will say Tesla has ruined me with their steering setup. The M3P's steering is so precise it makes pretty much everything near its class seem subpar in that department.
You are specifiyng M3P steering, is it different than LR or SR steering? ratio, speed is not the same? Is it tuned differently?

Corvette. Challenger. WRX.
(Assuming you can drive manual)

Those are my current "fun" cars that we own. None can be used in NY bumper to bumper, but I do think they are more fun to drive because they are all fast and the driving experience is more engaging. I'm looking at Tesla since I would like a Prius alternative that is auto, fast, and gets good fuel economy. The other car I seriously considered was an E400 coupe, but gas mileage and maintenance overruled the purchase.

Reactions: bryanbruin
I drove all of the comparable big-4 Euro makes (BMW, Audi, Benz, Volvo), and none of them felt better than the M3P. The interiors were all nice, and they all handled well, cornered great, but there was something about the M3P that (as my teen boys say) just hit different. The acceleration, the planted feel, the virtual silence under 30 MPH. It's a completely different driving experience, which for me, is how I defined "fun" in those comparisons.

I'm not a drum beating environmentalist by any means, but for as much as I grew up loving a strong exhaust note, I've also tired of it. Burning gas, oil changes and such became significant negative points once I drove the Tesla. I went into the car search "wanting" to love the 5-series or the E-class, but I just couldn't get there. Not sure why, exactly, but they just didn't excite me.

nope they are the same. model 3s steering is very good, but its not better than i.e. mercedes, bmw etc.

there is an illusion of it steering perhaps better as the model 3 has awd so is a bit more planted on the road.
My 128i msport had the best steering I’ve ever experienced. Very precise, very direct. You feel the road but in a positive way. Totally regret selling that car. Ultra reliable too nothing went wrong with it for the 165k miles. Never been to the dealer for anything wrong.

Probably skewed given the conditions I drove in but, I tracked a GT3 RS and an 812 Superfast. While the GT3 was fun it's not something I'd commute in or daily drive. I'd pick the 812 as a replacement fun car. Only because that V12 sound just cannot be beat. 😁

nope they are the same. model 3s steering is very good, but its not better than i.e. mercedes, bmw etc.

there is an illusion of it steering perhaps better as the model 3 has awd so is a bit more planted on the road.
Everyone is entitled to their own interpretation of what good is, but the model 3 has amazing steering, better than everything even remotely in the same price range. It has nothing to do with being awd or not.

Reactions: OUengineer
Model 3s accelerate fast but has boaty handling and suspension composure when compared to even a base A class Mercedes. Steering is good but very basic without the adaptive ratios or dampening like on Audi or Mercedes. If I wanted a sporty fun car I think there are much better options out there.

Audi A4 beats Tesla in handling, but acceleration cant' keep up with the Model 3.
I am going from WRX to Tesla 3, and the handling/cornering of WRX blows away all versions of the model 3s. There isn't even a comparison here, but SR+ is overall a superior product.

This is more fun and far prettier.

Attachments

• 7630BF9B-9C28-4F61-B893-025077BB1FC3.jpeg
    7630BF9B-9C28-4F61-B893-025077BB1FC3.jpeg
    625.1 KB · Views: 162
Recent cars I have owned are manual bmw and audi cars including a manual transmission. Great cars but my 2021 M3P is a total blast to drive. As a daily driver rocketing around town - total fun. Sound system is excellent. I find the suspension and steering feel surprisingly good.

Is it fun? Every time I drive it.

Cheers,

Snade

Attachments

• 20210423_160346.jpg
    20210423_160346.jpg
    668.5 KB · Views: 108
Reactions: JBT66
Recent cars I have owned are manual bmw and audi cars including a manual transmission. Great cars but my 2021 M3P is a total blast to drive. As a daily driver rocketing around town - total fun. Sound system is excellent. I find the suspension and steering feel surprisingly good.

Is it fun? Every time I drive it.

Cheers,

Snade
That's a great picture of your car. Have you done any exterior mods to it? I've got a red M3P with white interior on order.