Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What cars did you quit looking at or cancel once Tesla dropped the price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Iron

Jan 22, 2023
ATL
I was looking at those little Ford Maverick hybrid trucks, which would have been waaay cheaper than this MYLR of mine. They run around 25 - 28K and although they have an ICE engine, they have beds too, which would eliminate my current gas guzzling pickup as well as well as my ICE car. They get around 42 city and 33 mpg highway.

Now Ford prohibits dealer markups on ordered vehicles (or so I was told), but it was the wild west on pre-existing vehicles. Problem is, I couldn't build one and order it anytime this century. They simply weren't available. Instead, I was bombarded with e-mails and texts every time one showed up on the dealer lot near me, telling me to "come get it right now..it won't last", yadda yadda. Of course, that was with like a 10K mark up. And sure enough, they'd be gone the same day they appeared too. They sold like hot cakes. Not me!

Next, I was also looking at the Kia EV6. Those also had a healthy mark up and prices were around what I got the MYLR for (maybe even a bit more), without the tax rebate. That and the limited headroom + low seating position kept me on the sideline.

Enter the price drop.... and it was GAME EFFIN OVER!!! I was actually hoping Tesla would do something but MYLR at 2020 prices which even eliminated 8% inflation? WTF? I couldn't believe it. Ordered mine the same day I found out 1/13 and gave the middle finger to those dealer$$$. Tesla made it so damn easy and I loved the way they displayed option pricing that would take you outside the Tax Rebate. Now my answer is "stop contacting me, I bought a Tesla!"

What sale did Tesla ruin for you? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: android04
Lexus NX350h - I have had a RX350 for 15 years and and I really wanted the NX hybrid. However, my local Lexus stealership is insisting on a $5K markup and I refused to pay it. Never even considered a Tesla until the price drop hit the news. A week later I placed an order for a MYLR. Finally, it is a win-win for me and the tax credit is just icing on the cake!

Same story for lots of us I think. $13k price drop, another $1k in saved txes, and at least $7,500 in rebates? Done.

Cars dropped:

I had an Ariya on the way. When I finally drove a demo it rode like a tank. Other than that Nissan annoyed all the reservation holders for years AND my dealer was lousy. Cancelled reservation.

I looked hard at the Mach-E, but I'm 6' 1". You need to be a contortionist to fit in the back of one. Then the dealer tried ADM. FY, adious.

I'd waited as long as I could on the CX-90 PHEV. Still not in sight, time to go. Deposit refunded.

The CRV Hybrid has a great resale story, but it's serial powertrain is just awful and the Tesla offered me an ROI in 3 years (Solar, my power is free. sorta).

EV Blazer: Same thing as the CX-90, but I did keep that reservation for now.

I also pretty much stopped looking at BMW gas cars after the price drop which I have been devoted to on my last 5 out of 7 cars. I was focused on getting into a used F80 series M3/M4s as my next vehicle exclusively. I am not a fan of the electric i4 with its saber tooth style grills or the half baked approach to their current EV platform and much higher price so this was also not a consideration to me. With the price drop I realized I can now get into a new or slightly used Model 3 performance for the same price as an older and higher mileage M3/M4.

I was all over the place and could not settle on anything. On the new side, I was considering a BRZ/GR86, Mustang GT, Challenger, EV6 GT, m240i, or wait for new M2 or maybe a GR Carolla. I have issues with each of them though.

Part of me wanted to go for a depreciated Euro sport coupe like a 997, 991, Cayman, Jaguar F-Type R, or a 1M coupe or M2 Competition. Some of those markets are still inflated and I had been patiently watching prices fall while looking for a great example with my level of macitence documentation.

I remember watching the $7,500 rebate Tesla offered on M3s in December and somewhat considering the M3P thinking it would not qualify for the $7,500 credit and that the December Performance buyers might be getting a more reasonable deal. I decided not to go for one but thought at the time, another few thousand to bring Ito down closer to where it was at in the past and they would have had me. I figured they may drop the M3AWD down to be under the cap, so I may as well weight and see what happens. I saw the price drop the first night and thought, What? Is this real that you can get a Performance for under the federal tax credit cap? Done, ordered that weekend after one more test drive and have now had my M3P for about a month. Seems like a lot of car for the money to me and am still happy with my purchase. I miss some things, but there is no perfect car out there at a reasonable price. I'm also within sight of getting the car I have been built registered. It will give me a different driving experience with more noise and engagement when I want it.

Reactions: Iron
RAV4 hybrid/prime. Dealers all told us we have to beg for the next car that comes in their shipment and pay a $5-10k markup, if it’s not sold by the time we get there. Color/options are take it or leave it.

Wasn’t even considering Tesla but the price drop + tax credit made it a no brainer. Then ended up upgrading to MYP once that was included in the rebate.

Reactions: Iron