TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What caused this to my paint?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by KWPw3rd, Jun 10, 2019.

1. ReddykwRun

ReddykwRun Member

Just a thought, any chance it could be the PPF itself?

• Informative x 1
  2. FMinMI

FMinMI Member

Who made the PPF? You should contact them and pose this concern to them. It is possible that something is bleeding out of the material which is incompatible with Tesla paint. Doubtful but worth a call.

And I can see why Tesla said it is not their fault when someone 'modifies' a cars component. I would expect GM, Ford, etc to also say the same...

3. ReddykwRun

ReddykwRun Member

Easy way to solve this mystery. Return to PPF applicator / shop and have them remove that area with a steam gun and my suspicions of it being an area of transition (corner) from side to rear has a great possibility of too much slack in the film when it was applied in that zone resulting in droopy film, kind of like the t.v. commercial of saggy pantyhose many years ago. I shot polyurethane paint on Coast Guard aircraft for 20 years and NEVER had a paint failure of this sort. The fact that you mentioned that it showed up after you had it awhile and the temps are increasing now tells me it's a perfect storm for saggy film. If that's the case it's a easy fix. Looking at the vertically oriented slack lines is a tell tell. Keep us informed.

• Informative x 1
  4. MyJoule

MyJoule Member

It sure looks like the PPF not the paint to me too. I hope that is what it is..

• Informative x 1
  5. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

To me that majorly looks like heat damage. Likely from a PPF install if it requires heat to do it.