Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What caused this to my paint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Washed my car yesterday and noticed this "pruney" effect on the paint on the rear bumper of my car. When I rub my fingers on it, you can feel the grooves. Anyone know the cause of this and if this can be fixed? This is the first time I have ever seen this happen to a car.
IMG_4767.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Washed my car yesterday and noticed this "pruney" effect on the paint on the rear bumper of my car. When I rub my fingers on it, you can feel the grooves. Anyone know the cause of this and if this can be fixed? This is the first time I have ever seen this happen to a car.

I think that it is normal based on how the paint was applied. Some call it an "orange peel" application.

I think that it is normal based on how the paint was applied. Some call it an "orange peel" application.

That ”pruning” is definitely not ”orange peel” though. This is orange peel, a much more common painting phenomenon:

Orange-Peel-vs-Smooth.jpg

The Model 3 may of course have orange peel too in its general painting but I don’t think that was the question.

@KWPw3rd Is the ”pruning” something that has gotten worse over time or do you think it has always been there?

You may wish to read the other threads about Model 3 paint issues to see if they might apply to you: Paint Failure and Model 3 paint wearing off

Last edited:
This is caused by spot filler under the paint. If not allowed to cure it will do this as the solvents evaporate. And it takes very little spot filler to do this. This is not like two part body filler.
Bumper was repaired along the line at some point. But not allowed enough time to cure.

I think it is just overspray causing an orange peel effect.

I took another look and noticed that I missed the striations in the paint, ON TOP of the orange peel. No bueno! Might be that the paint was rubbed or touched while drying. Obviously NOT normal, and poor quality control.

That ”pruning” is definitely not ”orange peel” though. This is orange peel, a much more common painting phenomenon:

The Model 3 may of course have orange peel too in its general painting but I don’t think that was the question.

@KWPw3rd Is the ”pruning” something that has gotten worse over time or do you think it has always been there?

You may wish to read the other threads about Model 3 paint issues to see if they might apply to you: Paint Failure and Model 3 paint wearing off

I got my car late March and it was definitely not there when I was doing the exterior inspection when I took delivery. I have probably washed my car 5-6 times after and just noticed it the last wash. The previous wash to that was probably a little over a month ago before I drove from LA to SF to move.

This is caused by spot filler under the paint. If not allowed to cure it will do this as the solvents evaporate. And it takes very little spot filler to do this. This is not like two part body filler.
Bumper was repaired along the line at some point. But not allowed enough time to cure.

Could weather temperature have something to do with this? It has been hot (90+) the last several days and my car being black doesn't really help.

THIS.

At some point it was repainted or touched up. I'd be talking to Tesla

I got my car late March and it was definitely not there when I was doing the exterior inspection when I took delivery. I have probably washed my car 5-6 times after and just noticed it the last wash. The previous wash to that was probably a little over a month ago before I drove from LA to SF to move.

Could weather temperature have something to do with this? It has been hot (90+) the last several days and my car being black doesn't really help.

Nothing to do with the temp.
It's what is underneath and I bet it's spot putty or glazing putty. I've seen it before. Sometimes you can take your fingernail and just scrape a big glob off.
Because it seems to be in a vertical line maybe something solvent based dripped down before the color coat? But the bumper may have been painted separately so who knows.
None of it matters as its a warranty issue for sure.

I think I'm seeing the same thing, right in the middle of my trunk lid, under where the T should be (It was debadged to put PPF on 3 days after purchase and I didn't have them put it back)
Curious what response you get from Tesla, I haven't brought it up with them yet, since I didn't want them to just say it was caused by the PPF...

I think I'm seeing the same thing, right in the middle of my trunk lid, under where the T should be (It was debadged to put PPF on 3 days after purchase and I didn't have them put it back)
Curious what response you get from Tesla, I haven't brought it up with them yet, since I didn't want them to just say it was caused by the PPF...

This exactly what they blamed it on. They blamed the installer of the PPF. Tesla said this doesn’t fall under warranty and they’re not going to repaint the bumper.

Anyone got other ideas?

I wanted to add that a few more areas (around the picture above) on the rear bumper started to show the same effect. One even started showing under the PPF.

My suggestion to anyone who has this happen to their car should see if they got a PPF installed near the defective area. Tesla night blame the installer and you won’t get a repaint.