TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
  1. TMC is currently READ ONLY.
    Click here for more info.

What causes slow acceleration in AP/TACC?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by TjckTock, Oct 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. TjckTock

TjckTock Member

Been driving the car for over a year now and still cannot figure out why, sometimes, it accelerates painfully slowly when traffic starts moving on a green light. Not a big issue, just have to manually goose it a bit and then slowly release the pedal to let AP take back over. However, I was wondering if anyone has figured out what causes this so I can know when to expect it.

2. Yelxab

Yelxab New Member

Noticed this too and interested if anyone knows for sure.

My theory is that if there’s no car in front, but one beside that is taking off slowly the Tesla matches the slow speed.

• Like x 1
  3. TX_M3P+

TX_M3P+ Member

This is my experience as well. Pretty sure this is how it's designed. Maybe with the new Autopilot rewrite coming soon this will be addressed? I just use the accelerator pedal for now, then let go when I'm ready for the car to take over.

• Helpful x 1
  4. The_Observer

The_Observer Member

Have you tried setting the following distance to a lower number? Maybe that might help.

5. GtiMart

GtiMart Member

Ah, that side car explanation is interesting. I know there are provisions in autopilot to care for a side line going slower than the car's lane. In such cases the car should go slower so there's not a too big speed difference between lanes. Maybe that is it...

6. TX_M3P+

TX_M3P+ Member

Not for me, mine is set to 1 and it's still slow when the light turns green. If the driver in front of me gives a little extra juice, the Tesla will still stay slow on its own. A little accelerator pedal fixes that though! ;)

7. TX_M3P+

TX_M3P+ Member

Now this could be a thing. I'll have to really pay attention to this next time. There is typically always some next to me, either on the right or left, but if the guy in front of me accelerates above normal, the Tesla will not try to keep up. I'll have to keep an eye on cars to the right or left and see if that is truly playing a factor. You might be on to something here...

8. The_Observer

The_Observer Member

Yeah, I noticed that too. I regularly use the HOV lane to work, often times the speed differences between the HOV lane and the most left lane are huge. Autopilot goes slower in that scenario so the speed differences are not as drastic.

However, sometimes I have to give it a push, during turns in the HOV lane, sometimes it tries to fully brake.

9. Gasaraki

Gasaraki Active Member

I think this happens in all cars with auto cruise control.

10. TomServo

TomServo Active Member

That's how our Model Y behaves. And as the car is in the middle of the turn my Y seems to slow even more and catches the car behind me by surprise.

11. GtiMart

GtiMart Member

It's a very prudent system... It doesn't like hilly, twisty roads either. I had to push the accelerator often there, and I was doing the speed limit

12. TjckTock

TjckTock Member

This does not appear to be the explanation. Was at a light last night. The car in front of me and to the side bolted but my Tesla did not and did its slow accel thing.

One theory I am trying to confirm/refute is that it has to do with driver attention. On several occasions, when I experienced the slow acceleration, I also noticed it was flashing blue for me to wiggle the steering. Maybe if it hasn't gotten recent confirmation of driver attention it accelerates very slowly.

13. ballison404

ballison404 Member

my theory is that its used to "force" you to use the accelerator so that you have to pay attention. its purposely trying to annoy you