Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What causes the clicking/sliding motion felt thru the accelerator pedal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? When you start to drive, maybe a few seconds in, there's a small hum noise and a sliding/clicking feel as if something is going on behind the accelerator pedal. Happens for about 2 seconds and then not again until another drive later.
I'm assuming this isn't just my car.
Anyone know what is going on that causes this?
I ask because I had it happen for a longer amount of time, louder and with more clicks, after about 40 minutes of driving today. That's definitely new for me

Thanks

Something like that happens to me when I have AP or TACC enabled and the car wants to slow down but I press gently to try to maintain speed. The accel pedal kind of buzzes when it is fighting my foot.

No, that's not it... this is within the first few seconds of pulling out of park. nowhere near ready to put on AP yet.

Boy would I love a proper shop manual for this car.

Hi all

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? When you start to drive, maybe a few seconds in, there's a small hum noise and a sliding/clicking feel as if something is going on behind the accelerator pedal. Happens for about 2 seconds and then not again until another drive later.
I'm assuming this isn't just my car.
Anyone know what is going on that causes this?
I ask because I had it happen for a longer amount of time, louder and with more clicks, after about 40 minutes of driving today. That's definitely new for me

Thanks
Interesting, never heard of that. Are you sure it's not your climate control moving vents or anything after you start up?

there is like a 50 page thread on model S and X message board about this clicking sound under hard acceleration...esp when car sitting up higher...people getting half shafts and jackshaft replace only to have it happen again...there appears to be no fix and Tesla's stance is that it is normal now lol.

there is like a 50 page thread on model S and X message board about this clicking sound under hard acceleration...esp when car sitting up higher...people getting half shafts and jackshaft replace only to have it happen again...there appears to be no fix and Tesla's stance is that it is normal now lol.
It's not an accel thing. This happens while I'm slowly pulling out of a parking spot. sometimes while not even moving at all.

I am having the same issue in a model Y. When I step on the accelerator it sounds as if something is rolling from under the front seat of the car but that is not the case. When I take my foot off the accelerator it repeats.

It's entirely possible you have something stuck in the underseat air vent. When I first bought my Model 3, I had someone throw change in the backseat. A dime ended up in the airvent and drove me absolutely crazy - I was able to fish it out of there myself.

Sounds very similar!

I have the exact same thing happening to my 2021 LR M3 today for the first time. It happened about 3-4 different times throughout my relatively short drive. All while coming to a stop, initially accelerating, and I think 1 happened when just parked.

But it is the exact thing you are describing. Sliding/slight feeling through the pedal. Ever figure out anything about it?