Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Causes this [12V] Charging Profile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been monitoring my 12 volt charging profile daily and it has been quite stable since installed a DiehardEV battery about a month ago. No notifications active or historical in the car. Here is a sample of typical charging.

IMG_1592.PNG

Today, I noticed this charge profile:

IMG_1591.PNG

Never seen this before. Ran a 51R AGM prior and it showed same stable charge as first graph. I think I'm in that group 10,000 for FSD 10.69.1 and I'm wondering if Tesla is downloading data prior to sending the update or maybe sending the update in packets? No messages as I checked again so if I wasn't looking at a charge graph I would have no idea this was going on. The quiet spot between 10-1 was my driving. When parked (and connected to WiFi) the rapid charge cycles started up again.

As a followup, today I tried different settings to see results. turning off "Background App Refresh" had no affect. The charge spikes stopped while the car was actively charging (0200-0300) , driving or the phone was off. The longest pause between 15:30 and 17:30 the phone again was off. When turned back on, a long charge occurred then continued charge cycles. Even with the app closed the charge spikes keep occurring. I also have Watch for Tesla app but that has also been off for weeks. The charging behavior started with the last IOS app update a couple days ago. I notified the FSDBeta team asking to forward to appropriate engineering group. Still no notifications active or past in the service menu. I'll add one more thing, I wonder if the charge ping is the app looking for tire pressures which cannot be displayed unless version 2022.24.X? I am still on FSDBeta 2022.12.3.20.

IMG_1595.PNG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
As a followup, today I tried different settings to see results. turning off "Background App Refresh" had no affect. The charge spikes stopped while the car was actively charging (0200-0300) , driving or the phone was off. The longest pause between 15:30 and 17:30 the phone again was off. When turned back on, a long charge occurred then continued charge cycles. Even with the app closed the charge spikes keep occurring. I also have Watch for Tesla app but that has also been off for weeks. The charging behavior started with the last IOS app update a couple days ago. I notified the FSDBeta team asking to forward to appropriate engineering group. Still no notifications active or past in the service menu. I'll add one more thing, I wonder if the charge ping is the app looking for tire pressures which cannot be displayed unless version 2022.24.X? I am still on FSDBeta 2022.12.3.20.

View attachment 848055
I updated my iPhone Tesla app yesterday around 5PM. Everything was normal until I charged for two hours between 8PM and 10PM. With the UMC2 still plugged in, NOT charging, everything was normal until 10AM this morning when I noticed the red T flashing on the UMC2. After awhile the UMC2 had all green TESLA letters then later a red flashing T again. I unplugged the wand and put the UMC2 away at this point. The LED on the charge port was flashing red until I unplugged. When I reviewed the 12V battery monitor history, looks like the car was waking up during the UMC2 light status changes. After unplugging the UMC2 from the car, I started to get random wake ups like your graph shows above. Tried two finger reboot, no change. Checked all settings everything looked correct. Drove the car around the block, turned off remote access, dash cam and wifi access.and will monitor and report back tomorrow. BTW, my firmware version is 2022.20.8 so the car does not have the tire pressure firmware that works with the updated IOS Tesla phone app. Very strange never seen this before.

View attachment 848055
When you say charge spikes, I assume you mean charging the 12V battery (PCS outputting around 14.2VDC) and not charging the traction battery? The car cycling the HV contactors up 75 TIMES a day can't be good!

Last edited:
When you say charge spikes, I assume you mean charging the 12V battery (PCS outputting around 14.2VDC) and not charging the traction battery? The car cycling the HV contactors up 75 TIMES a day can't be good!
I'm referring to the 12 volt charging spikes. The car wakes when it occurs. I set it to scheduled charging and no 240v charging occurs until schedule time. While 240v charging is occurring the 12 volt spikes stop. I have the Tesla Wall charger and have not seen any warning (red) flashing.

Thanks for the clarifications! I am not seeing the problem after making the configuration changes mentioned above to the car settings to debug. I assume turning off remote access did the trick. I will turn that back on on in the morning and try powering off my iPhone if the problem returns. Was the constant pinging you mentioned above a different problem or a different name for the charging spikes problem? If the same, power cycling your iPhone did NOT fix the problem? I find the 12V Bluetooth Battery Monitor to be an invaluable tool. Without it, discovering a problem like we are discussing in this thread might not be found before something were damaged in the car.

Thanks Again!!
Regards

Thanks for the clarifications! I am not seeing the problem after making the configuration changes mentioned above to the car settings to debug. I assume turning off remote access did the trick. I will turn that back on on in the morning and try powering off my iPhone if the problem returns. Was the constant pinging you mentioned above a different problem or a different name for the charging spikes problem? If the same, power cycling your iPhone did NOT fix the problem? I find the 12V Bluetooth Battery Monitor to be an invaluable tool. Without it, discovering a problem like we are discussing in this thread might not be found before something were damaged in the car.

Thanks Again!!
Regards
Turning iPhone to Airplane mode stopped 12 volt charing spikes. Turned airplane mode off, 12 volt spike pattern every few minutes started right back up again. I have background refresh selected off. All started with latest app release 4.12 a few days ago.

Here is a screen shot after installing the new IOS Tesla app and before the problem arose.

12V_good.jpg

Here is a screen shot showing the problem. At the last few hours at the end of the screen shot I had remote access on the car disabled; likewise, everything was normal until 10AM when the UMC2 had a red flashing T.

12V_bad.jpg

Have not turned "Remote Access" on yet but will report back when I do. PS, now I know how to get screen shoots on my iPhone, never needed to before.

Last edited:
Here is a screen shot after installing the new IOS Tesla app and before the problem arose.

View attachment 848165

Here is a screen shot showing the problem. At the last few hours at the end of the screen shot I had remote access on the car disabled; likewise, everything was normal until 10AM when the UMC2 had a red flashing T.

View attachment 848169

Have not turned "Remote Access" on yet but will report back when I do. PS, now I know how to get screen shoots on my iPhone, never needed to before.
Can confirm, if either the car or my iPhone do not have access to the internet the problem goes away.

Reactions: Flybyglass
If anyone gets the 2022.24+ car firmware with the wherewithal to report the tire pressure to an iPhone with the latest firmware installed, please report if this problem goes away.

Thanks!
The frequent interruptions in sleep that I identified via Teslafi are happening with the latest iOS app (with tire pressure reporting) and car software 2022.24.5. It began when I updated the iOS app, which was after I had updated the car software.

The frequent interruptions in sleep that I identified via Teslafi are happening with the latest iOS app (with tire pressure reporting) and car software 2022.24.5. It began when I updated the iOS app, which was after I had updated the car software.
Lesson learned do not install phone/car firmware days after initial release. Wait for other suckers like me to find and live with any problems. My phone will stay in airplane mode until this problem gets resolved. Good thing I am not hooked at the hip to my phone. I can live with just calling, texting and Bluetooth until this gets resolved.

Thanks for the update!
Regards

Last edited:
Lesson learned do not install phone/car firmware days after initial release. Wait for other suckers like me to find and live with any problems. My phone will stay in airplane mode until this problem gets resolved. Good thing I am not hooked at the hip to my phone. I can live with just calling, texting and Bluetooth until this gets resolved.

Thanks for the update!
Regards
For the record, personally I’m not concerned, and I’m not seeing it as a “problem”, but just an unusual behavior. I don’t have any reason to believe that it is causing any problems to be woken up from sleep. Also, FWIW my car has been sleeping more normally since this afternoon. I haven’t changed anything and did not drive today. 🤷‍♂️

It may be just a behavior. No warnings active or past have appeared. Others on Facebook forums are reporting the same issue since the app update and all have noted that the behavior stops when phone offer in airplane mode. Tesla has been notified and since no warnings in the car it may be an engineered new behavior for some reason.

It may be just a behavior. No warnings active or past have appeared. Others on Facebook forums are reporting the same issue since the app update and all have noted that the behavior stops when phone offer in airplane mode. Tesla has been notified and since no warnings in the car it may be an engineered new behavior for some reason.
I could be wrong on any or all of the following but here goes. As an engineer I can't believe Tesla Engineers would believe the car waking up many time per day is a good thing. As I understand it, the following are just a few things that happen when the car wakes from sleep. The PCS uses 12VDC from the battery to DC-to-DC Boost to charge up the motor inverter(s) capacitors to the traction battery current voltage level. After the HV bus voltage is equal to the pack voltage, the main contactors close. When the contactors are open, this is considered a safer state than when they are closed. I was taught in engineering that every component has a finite life and the components involved with the car oscillating back and forth from sleep to wake state are no exception. Probably only the owners who have a Bluetooth 12V monitor installed and monitor such and the those who read about this on the internet even know the car is acting different.

Reactions: Perscitus and GSP