Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Causes this [12V] Charging Profile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Tesla app 4.12.1 was just released for iOS within the last hour or two. Wonder if that fixes it? That's a patch version increment so it's possible they found and fixed this.
Checking with Tesla if I should install. Release notes have no mention of bug fixes but it must be. Tesla has no idea so I installed and will see.

Last edited:
Reactions: James@Tessie
No change with 4.12.1. On to the next step...
We've identified another cause of this 12V waking pattern and it's due to Software > Data Sharing in the car. Tremendous amounts of data is being uploaded and downloaded by the car during the wakes as recorded by the connected router. Likely mass data collection from Tesla to ensure everything is going well with the radar-to-vision-only rollout by making sure that performance matches between vision-only and radar-to-vision.

Are any of those data sharing settings enabled on your car? If so, I'd try disabling them and see if that fixes it. We've had customers report that this fixed it and we verified it through connection logs.

The Tesla iOS app (at least 4.12.0) definitely has something going on with it as well, but this data sharing issue is happening at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flybyglass
Now Tesla wanted the wall charger disconnected - that didn't work. Then they wanted my 1TB SSD for Sentry (which is off) disconnected saying some USB drives do this (OK so it's removed for a few hours but then thats it forward to the app team and quit stalling).

OK, finally the app team is looking into this. In my case I found the car would turn on for 5 min. then off for 20. Similar to the graphs I had originally posted. As soon as the app team got the information first thing they wanted to know where and how I got the graphical data. I made it clear they may have only heard from me but there are others having same issue. It is something that they can look at the car and tell what size SSD I have for Sentry. (Which has been off in my garage).

Last edited:
OK, finally the app team is looking into this. In my case I found the car would turn on for 5 min. then off for 20. Similar too the graphs I had originally posted. As soon as the app team got the information first thing they wanted to know where and how I got the graphical data. I made it clear they may have only heard from me but there are others having same issue. It is something that they can look at the car and tell what size SSD I have for Sentry. (Which has been off in my garage).
From your graphs and mine it looks like the on/off sometimes happens up to four times an hour. Are both of your Tesla cars still under the four year/50K warranty period? I past the four year point this August on my Model 3 so requesting service could cost me out of pocket. In this case it should not but you never know.

From your graphs and mine it looks like the on/off sometimes happens up to four times an hour. Are both of your Tesla cars still under the four year/50K warranty period? I past the four year point this August on my Model 3 so requesting service could cost me out of pocket. In this case it should not but you never know.
Both are under warranty but regardless I'm not paying! I did notice they icon for preparing for your mobile visit has been removed since they are working the problem now and clearly no mobile visit is needed. I've given them all the information I could and removed all possibilities.

Last edited:
Yeah, well careful with the wording there. Nothing's broken, the car works fine. You can hop in and drive it. I don't believe there's any warrantee written anywhere about the number of hours per day the car should be sleeping or the number of times it should wake up. I agree that something isn't right mind you...

I still disagree respectfully :) The app still performs all the functions that it offers. Its current behavior is more wasteful of energy in the car, and possibly adds wear to the contactor, but it works fine.
In the meantime I'm getting lots of text messages. They are really getting into it. Latest, no app or communication with car overnight and bluetooth off. Let's see what they find.

If your iPhone app is not communicating with the car using Wifi/Cell data, they will not see the problem? Am I missing something here?
They want the app closed (which I would do and even when closed - not just off) it would still communicate with the car. They want to app closed but leaving phone on but with bluetooth off overnight. I notice the car is quiet. My phone would be out of bluetooth range at night (about 75 feet away) and the car would cycle all night. I think they may have powered the car off for now to analyze things. I can't touch it or open the app at all until tomorrow,

Reactions: James@Tessie
They want the app closed (which I would do and even when closed - not just off) it would still communicate with the car. They want to app closed but leaving phone on but with bluetooth off overnight. I notice the car is quiet. My phone would be out of bluetooth range at night (about 75 feet away) and the car would cycle all night. I think they may have powered the car off for now to analyze things. I can't touch it or open the app at all until tomorrow,
Sounds like the app is doing something in the background like [if Bluetooth on] -> [wake car]...

Many of the api calls that the app uses wake the car because the tesla server needs to fetch information from the car, or send a command to the car.
Recent enhancements to the car show "live" tire pressures. One badly placed call would wake the car even when you are not displaying the pressures, for example.
I initially thought about widgets being the culprit because widgets want to display data all the time. It would be an easy mistake to call an api that wakes the car there.

You have bent over backwards helping Telsa debug this problem. You would think Tesla would have a spare Model 3/Y and an iPhone they could use to debug this issue (maybe one of the software engineers). Hopefully they are doing this in parallel. You have made it very clear that you are not the ONLY person having this problem. Much appreciate your efforts!!