Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what changed compared to a year ago

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dirkhh

Middle-aged Member
Jul 7, 2013
Portland, OR, USA
Just took delivery of our second Model S (well, technically our third, but the first was traded in for the second... so the second became the first and third now is our second... makes sense?).
One year and one day after our last Model S delivery.
What changed?
The delivery process was much smoother (would hard to have been worse as the delivery last year was an utter disaster). Tesla has a new delivery facility in Portland, they finally do deliveries indoors with the nice big bow...
But what changes did I notice in the new 90D compared to last year's P85D?
  • no more silver button at the tip of the cruise control stalk - to cancel you have to push away or tap break
  • no more beep when the rear hatch is closing
  • LTE modem
  • different rear seats (my P85D had the next gen seats with the next gen rear seats)
  • different rear chrome facia
  • different UMC (sealed button now)
  • different UMC bag (this one now contains the tow hook -- my car came without tow hook which apparently was a mistake I need to get rectified)

This is what I noticed so far. Did I miss anything?

If having RF transponders work through the windshield matters to you, you might find the windshield on the newer car has a place where you could mount one and actually have it work.
When I got my first one (showroom car, build in April'13) those still had the area by the rear mirror where this worked. But here in Oregon there isn't really much need for this as we don't have toll roads/bridges with transponders...

Just took delivery of our second Model S (well, technically our third, but the first was traded in for the second... so the second became the first and third now is our second... makes sense?).
One year and one day after our last Model S delivery.
What changed?
The delivery process was much smoother (would hard to have been worse as the delivery last year was an utter disaster). Tesla has a new delivery facility in Portland, they finally do deliveries indoors with the nice big bow...
But what changes did I notice in the new 90D compared to last year's P85D?
  • no more silver button at the tip of the cruise control stalk - to cancel you have to push away or tap break
  • no more beep when the rear hatch is closing
  • LTE modem
  • different rear seats (my P85D had the next gen seats with the next gen rear seats)
  • different rear chrome facia
  • different UMC (sealed button now)
  • different UMC bag (this one now contains the tow hook -- my car came without tow hook which apparently was a mistake I need to get rectified)

This is what I noticed so far. Did I miss anything?
Congrats.

Missing:
No chrome in the frunk to the left/right of the latch anymore.

How about your door sills? Materials on the doors?

This is what I meant with the rear chrome facia

image2-2.JPG
IMG_1135.JPG

Besides the fact that there's a small chance that my car could benefit from a wash (but it's only been three months?), I think this shows the different T E S L A lettering in the chrome. The new one seems much "higher"

How about your door sills? Materials on the doors?

felt like metal

image1-5.JPG

I picked up mine on 3/3 at the Tigard SC, but I didn't get a bow! :) I also saw about 6 MS in wraps and even a MX waiting for detail/delivery.

Beautiful big red bow!

IMG_1130.JPG

When I got my first one (showroom car, build in April'13) those still had the area by the rear mirror where this worked. But here in Oregon there isn't really much need for this as we don't have toll roads/bridges with transponders...

Lucky you!

Very good, can you say precisely where?

Top of the windshield to the right of the rear-view mirror is my understanding. This thread has a bunch of gory details of people trying various locations:

CA FasTrak Transponders

Who uses those any longer - isn't everything billed by license plate? Even here in crazy FL we have that.

We use them in the Bay Area (and SoCal has some toll roads that use them)...the bridge toll readers have license plate scanners as backups. Some of the newer transponders have switches to indicate the number of passengers in the vehicle, which is necessary for some variable-pricing policies and is obviously not available from a license plate scan (these are mostly for express lanes). There are also some parking garages that can charge to transponder accounts.

I'm looking at the pictures of the big bows...I took delivery at the factory last year and didn't have a bow on my car! (Yeah, first world problems...)

I just picked up number 2 in Portland last week, a CPO P85+ with AP, and it is much nicer having the dedicated office and indoor delivery. The whole process of getting number 2 was much smoother than last year. Alex was very helpful and responsive. I guess you need to buy new to get the bow though.