Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Charge Cables Are Supplied With The Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator comment - thread merged from "Any sr+ deliveries come with type 2 charge cable"
Supplied cable specifications may change over time.

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone that has taken delivery of an sr+ received the type 2 charge cable with their car?

I was on to the service center today about my delivery next week and asked if they had the cables in stock. They told me they only come with performance model?

Then I checked the website. Where it states:

The Type 2 cable, which allows you to charge on public infrastructure, is provided with every new Tesla*
Check the per-country overview below to find out which public charging networks are most common per country.
* Please note these cables are subject to availability and may need to be supplied after your delivery date.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190815-003014_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190815-003014_Chrome.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 206
Last edited by a moderator:
This is happening in the Netherlands as well. Seems like a shortage of these cables.

At Mennekes they are probably doing their best to produce as much cables as they can.
I've actually had two in preparation now, but the first one I returned as the plastic tip broke off one of my pins. I *think* it was Rolec, but there wasn't any actual branding in there...

It Tesla wanted everyone to buy the Tesla charger they should have had it approved by OLEV otherwise people are going to go with what's available rather than pay full whack for both the charger and the install.

And even if I had a tesla charger I'd want a type 2 as it's used for destination chargers out and about.

Reactions: GSP
I think Tesla was counting on everybody buying a Tesla charger with its tethered cable. Hence the rush to buy some in. The Tesla charger is not SMET2 compatible so not sure if you can get the government grant for fitting one.
Huh? Whats a wall connector got to do with being SMET2 compatible? TWC is not a smart charger which is now mandatory for the OLEV grant (hence reason why TWC does not qualify for grant but iirc I'm not sure it even did before), but smart charging and SMET2 have nothing to do with each other, other than smart 'chargers' can take advantage of variable electricity pricing as offered by smart and economy style tarrifs, but there is no connection between the two for it to become incompatible with.

Moderator comment - thread merged from "SR+ cables - what does it come with?"

Hi,

I did search for this but people listed part numbers (15-40???) And it may have changed over time?

As far I understand it I need a 3 pin plug cable for emergencies and a type 2 cable for certain chargers that aren't tethered eg PodPoint etc.

What does the car come with, and if it doesn't have both what's the cost/best place to buy the other?

Thanks,

Neil

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I did search for this but people listed part numbers (15-40???) And it may have changed over time?

As far I understand it I need a 3 pin plug cable for emergencies and a type 2 cable for certain chargers that aren't tethered eg PodPoint etc.

What does the car come with, and if it doesn't have both what's the cost/best place to buy the other?

Thanks,

Neil

It comes with a cable and UMC for 3 pin plug, which can also be used withe the supplied 16 amp commando. It also comes with a Type 2 that can be used with any untethered charger. You can also buy (£32) a 32 amp commando adapter for the UMC cable (that's the one that also does the 3 pin and the 16 amp commando). Shouldn't need to buy anything extra.