Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What charge port connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I heard him say you had to push the button to release the door. Not a big deal to argue about. Though, it kinda makes sense if you don't want the door to be opening everytime you are winding up the cable near the tailight.

With so many people it's always possible that someone erred one way or the other. To be honest, I totally forgot to ask about how the door closes!

Is Tesla going to provide a way for Roadster owners to convert to the Model S connector? Or perhaps another $750 adapter we have to stuff into the trunk hope no one will steal it while we're charging?

They're still debating what the right thing to do is. IIRC they're leaning towards an adapter for old connector to new (which would have to be short cable with connectors on each end due to the weight of the roadster's connector).

Edit: And I see other folks here heard different stories; I'm either not remembering correctly or it's REALLY still under debate :smile:

Last edited:
Did anyone get pictures or the size of this 90 kW charging station? I understand there was one there refilling the test drive cars.
It was specifically out of public view, and I was told it was a prototype with no case so wasn't meant to be seen by anyone.
They don't have anything ready to show with regards to DC charging yet.

People I talked to seemed down on CHAdeMO thinking it will be a short term solution and they questioned if they would "bother" making an adapter to it.
Also, indications of the SAE being too slow so they had to do something on their own.

Perhaps given all the other pictures, this is redundant, but I took this today:
socket1.jpg

I measured the size and it is roughly 35mm in diameter... (Slightly oval so a hair wider in one direction and a hair more narrow in the other.)
Many people were remarking that the UMC2.0 cable was very thin for something that could carry 40amps. All I could really get from them is that they said they worked on reducing the insulation to the bare minimum where some other cables are overly fat because they have more insulation than they need.

So that socket can be use all these ways:
#1: With UMC2.0 up to 40amps from all the usual household sockets. (NEMA5-15, 14-50, etc.) (9.6kW)
#2: With a small adapter (not needing UMC) from Tesla to J1772 (up to 70amps/17kW)
#3: From home HPC up to 80A. (20kW)
#4: From a DC fast charger up to 90kW.
Note, DC fast charger is purported to take 3 phase AC input, normally 440/480V, but it might accept other voltages.

I was told that fast charging is not as nice to the batteries, so they would recommend against using it unless you must.

Also, base model will have one 10kW charger included, and a second could be added as an option for 20kW (up to 80A) charging for those that need it.

A good fraction of customers could probably get by with just the 10kW and UMC2 for home charging.

Also, mainly for DPeilow :
The one or two 10kW's are positioned under the rear seat and if you have two then you have used up all the space.
Basically if/when they decide to have a 3phase input, it would likely be a whole different charger, not 3 of the 10kW.
Someone basically said doing 3 10kW would be poor integration and it would make more sense to put one larger 3 phase in place of the 2 10kW units.
And none of this was a confirmation or acknowledgement that they are actually committed to doing that... Just that they have been thinking about it.

Last edited:
There were a hundred key Tesla dept. heads answering questions all night. I guess you should have gone.
Who are you addressing this to? I was there for hours today able to ask questions of all the same people...

By the way, Chris Paine did a Q&A after "Revenge of the Electric Car" last night, and was touring the Tesla factory today.

They're still debating what the right thing to do is. IIRC they're leaning towards an adapter for old connector to new (which would have to be short cable with connectors on each end due to the weight of the roadster's connector).

Edit: And I see other folks here heard different stories; I'm either not remembering correctly or it's REALLY still under debate :smile:
I heard the same as you. Basically that they haven't finalized what exactly to do. Along with everything else, I heard repeatedly "we won't abandon Roadster owners."
& "We know a lot of Model S customers already have Roadsters."

With so many people it's always possible that someone erred one way or the other. To be honest, I totally forgot to ask about how the door closes!
Best I could see was that it is intended to automatically pop open like a gas door would, then you manually push it closed when done.
I was actually thankful it looked simple not some sort of motorized robot arm. I am still thinking the motorized door handles are a bit much and could be subject to reliability concerns.
Someone said there was a menu item on the touch screen to open the charge port door, so you could do it without getting next to it if you needed.

Well it is amazingly small for a 90kW connector.

What is the trefoil slot for? Purely guidance and keying, or are there connectors in there?...
Seems to be purely for guidance / keying with no sign it has any other purpose.

The bottom of the plug has a notch where the car will grab into it whenever you lock the doors.
socket4.jpg

Also you may notice two small 'nubs' in the center of the L1/L2 hots.
Those are to keep fingers from getting into the holes. The pins must have a small hole in the center so that only they are able to insert.

Last edited:
Another pictures of the socket (with missing pins):
socket3.jpg

And the label on the bottom of the UMC2:
umc2a.jpg

By the way someone said that people tend to mistakenly assume that some NEC regulations would apply to the UMC, but they don't...

Last edited: