Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What charger adapters does the car come with? Which ones to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, getting ready to purchase some accessories for when the X arrives in a few weeks. I'm planning to get the HPWC and just keep the mobile connector in the car for trips. I believe that the mobile connector fits a NEMA 14-50 outlet right? Does it also come with an adapter for a 5-15 or any others?

What are the most popular adapters I should think about purchasing for the road (in the US)? Is there any sort of adapter bundle that is sold that has a bunch of them?

Thanks!

Congrats on your Model X!

Yes, it comes with 14-50 and 5-15, as well as a J1772 adapter for L2 charging (i.e. Chargepoint, EVGO, blink, etc).

But with the proliferation of Superchargers in the US, you likely won't ever need them.

I've done many 2k to 3k road trips in the last four years, and I can't remember the last time I used the mobile charger other than at home. I have used the J1772 a few times because I could, not because I needed to.

When I bought my first P85+ in 2014, I built travel adapters for 14-30, 10-30, and a 6-50.

I used the 6-50 once. Never used the others.

So unless you know of a specific destination location with an alternate plug available, I really wouldn't worry about it.

Here's a good page with lots of detail if you still want to go down that route: http://cosmacelf.net/Home Made Adapters.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: Spelly88
Was going to recommend looking on the Shop Tesla site for the details of what is in the UMC but Hank best me to it. :D

Only time to really use the UMC is when staying overnight at, say, a vacation house or other place away from Superchargers. We travel to the Outer Banks (Hatteras Island) in the Fall and there are no Superchargers. So a 5-20 (16 Amp)is the only option. There are some Destination Chargers around but most at B&B where you are supposed to be a customer to use one, etc.

See Flasher’s excellent FAQ in my sig for more charging info and best of luck!

Congrats on your Model X!

Yes, it comes with 14-50 and 5-15, as well as a J1772 adapter for L2 charging (i.e. Chargepoint, EVGO, blink, etc).

But with the proliferation of Superchargers in the US, you likely won't ever need them.

I've done many 2k to 3k road trips in the last four years, and I can't remember the last time I used the mobile charger other than at home. I have used the J1772 a few times because I could, not because I needed to.

When I bought my first P85+ in 2014, I built travel adapters for 14-30, 10-30, and a 6-50.

I used the 6-50 once. Never used the others.

So unless you know of a specific destination location with an alternate plug available, I really wouldn't worry about it.

Here's a good page with lots of detail if you still want to go down that route: http://cosmacelf.net/Home Made Adapters.pdf

Thank you for the information, that was very helpful! I actually found this on the Tesla web page shortly after posting (for anyone else who is wondering):

All new vehicles include a Mobile Connector as standard equipment. This is a 20 foot long charging cable that has interchangeable adapters which allow you to plug into different types of 120 and 240 volt outlets. Keep it plugged in to the outlet in your garage for daily use and bring it with you when going on a road trip.

New Teslas include the following as standard equipment:

• Mobile Connector (20 feet)
  • Adapter for standard 120 volt household outlets (NEMA 5-15)
  • Adapter for higher power 240 volt outlet (NEMA 14-50)
  • Adapter for public charging stations (SAE J1772)
  • Cable organizing bag

• Helpful
Reactions: SunCatcher
I would say ..what comes with car is good enough in 2013 when I got my first Tesla had a frunk full of adapters and heavy 14-50 extension ...I recall only using the extension cord once ...everything else went for sale on TMC ;)

I would say ..what comes with car is good enough in 2013 when I got my first Tesla had a frunk full of adapters and heavy 14-50 extension ...I recall only using the extension cord once ...everything else went for sale on TMC ;)

Ha! I could have written this! We have a giant 50 amp extension cord that we used once and some other 14-30 adapters that, too, were barely used.

A note in response to a different post, though, just to clear: The J1772 comes with the car, not with the mobile connector kit. I point this out because a friend of mine bought a spare mobile connector to keep in the car (leaving the original plugged in at home). He assumed that the second mobile connector he bought included a J1772 adapter and was stranded on a road trip because he didn't have one.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
We also bought a Chademo adaptor to use third party L3 charging. We live in north central Ontario, Canada and while we have a Tesla SC in our town, there is nothing further north, west or east other than Chademo. We can drive south to Toronto using Supercharging but that's it. Also we are planning on driving out east to Nova Scotia soon and there aren't any Superchargers East of Quebec. So for us, right now, it is going to be well used. The States has much better S/C coverage, but for us to be able to use the X as our main car (our other car is a Bolt EV) we need the Chademo.

• Informative
Reactions: Spelly88 and P85_DA
I've never used my UMC outside my house, superchargers and public chargers are everywhere.

Personally i wish i never bought my HPWC and stuck with a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Im moving houses soon and taking the wall connector with me seems like a PITA. Would have rather saved the $500.

I've never used my UMC outside my house, superchargers and public chargers are everywhere.
I'll admit I rarely use the speed of the HPWC but the other day I certainly needed it. I had to run my wife up to Lake Tahoe in the AM and needed to take the car out later in the early afternoon. I was glad to have it only take a few hours to charge from 30% to 70%.