Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What charging accessories come with a new Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just ordered a new Model-Y and wondering what sort of charging accessories come with the car and what sort of adapters/cables I should plan on buying for us?

We usually travel across state lines often enough and tend to charge in public charging spots (so not necessarily always Tesla-branded chargers).

They are all North America Electronics Manufacturers Association (NEMA) plugs. Tesla vehicles no longer come with the NEMA 14-50 (230V/50 amp) power plug adapter, only the NEMA 5-15 power plug adapter is provided by Tesla with the Universal Mobile Connector (UMC) (the NEMA 5-15 plug designed to plug into any standard 120V/15 amp receptacle.) You can purchase the 14-50 power plug adapter and other NEMA power plug adapters from the Tesla Store, also at some Service Centers. These can be purchased either as a set or individually for $35. If you plan to charge at a campground or RV park the adapter you would want, in case there is no 14-50 receptacle at the site, is the TT-30 (120V/30 amp.) Tesla does not offer this power plug adapter but it can be purchased from EVSE Adapters.

In most parts of the lower 48 states you will be fine with the Tesla SuperCharger network, the J1772 adapter and the included UMC w/NEMA 5-15 plug adapter.

Use ABetterRoutePlanner to help plan your trip, also you can use the PlugShare app to get an idea of the charging options in the locations where you plan to drive.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Kross
Please excuse my ignorance. In looking at the Tesla Website, the only way I found anything for the 14-50 power plug adapter was in their sold out $250 bundle pack. Looked at EVSadapters and only found L5-15 Twist-Lock Adapter for Tesla Models S/3/X/Y Gen 2 at $59 dollars each. Since we only really charge at home, I guess my other option would be to replace the Nema 1450R with a standard 120V/15 amp receptacle. The issue is that circuit is a 50 amp 240v, now I am not an electrician, but I am real sure that would not be a good idea. So at this point I guess my best option would be to find a connector that would work or install a wall charger, which I am trying to avoid. I have noticed several wall chargers on Craigs List selling for 250 to 600, the issue is it would cost me just about as much to get an electrician to come out and install. So I figure a wall charger would be $500 and a connector under $100, I am not really, concerned about how long it would take to charge, since we plug it in at night and let it charge (Solar).

Assuming you have a recent model Tesla the vehicle comes with the Gen2 Mobile Connector Bundle (what many people call the charger.) If you charge using the included 5-15 plug adapter you will only gain ~3 mile of range for every hour you charge your Tesla.

Here is the page on the Tesla Store site with the Gen2 NEMA adapters.

Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

If you have already installed a NEMA 14-50R at home all you need is to purchase the Gen 2 NEMA 14-50 adapter ($35.) When using the 14-50 plug adapter the vehicle will charge at up to ~29 miles of range per hour of charging

If you also purchase the Tesla Cable Organizer this home charging accessory comes with a holder for mounting the Mobile Connector electronics unit to the wall.

Cable Organizer

• Informative
This is what I have, correct me if I am wrong, but the above connector, will not work on this receptacle.

Attachments

• Nema.jpg
    Nema.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 275
I understand, that is why I am looking for a 14-50P (pin) and a ... to work with the cable supplied with the MY. Model S we had came with a connector that took care of this, I believe it was about a $39 dollar part, but I don't seem to see it now.

I understand, that is why I am looking for a 14-50P (pin) and a ... to work with the cable supplied with the MY. Model S we had came with a connector that took care of this, I believe it was about a $39 dollar part, but I don't seem to see it now.

The Gen1 Mobile Connector that came with your Model S uses a different style (older) plug adapter. Your Model Y came with a Gen2 Mobile Connector, only can use the Gen2 plug adapters shown.

Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

As others have said you can use what came with the car - just plug it into 115v outlet (like a toaster) just know though you will get a very slow charge. If you want to use the connector that came with the car for a fast charge you'll need to spend $35 and buy the NEMA 14-50 adaptor - it plugs right into the connector that came with the car. Use the below link to get to the correct adaptor - you have to use the drop-down menu to select.

Gen 2 NEMA Adapters