Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What charging adapter comes with the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who have received the car, what charging adapter comes standard with the car?

My garage has a NEMA 6-50 outlet, so I would need a 6-50 adapter. But I also want the J1772 adapter for public charging. Would Tesla make you pay for extra adapters?

by default you will receive a 110v, a J1772, and a 14-50. You may request a 6-50 instead of a 14-50, no charge, but will pay if you want both.

All just one man's anecdote, trust but verify as always ;)

I believe this correct with one modification; if you ordered the HPWC with the car they will give you the 6-50 in addition free of charge, until such time that they are shipping the HPWC's with or before the car arrives.

It looks like the HPWCs are shipping so they might not be giving out the 6-50 adapters anymore if they can deliver the HPWC with your car. Maybe you can substitute the 6-50 for the 14-50 but you'd likely want both as the 14-50 is used at campgrounds which is useful for travel if you bring your UMC with you.

I believe this correct with one modification; if you ordered the HPWC with the car they will give you the 6-50 in addition free of charge, until such time that they are shipping the HPWC's with or before the car arrives.

Solar city said I would get the 6-50 adapter instead of the 14-50 one, and that I should warn my PS, to make sure I got the right one. I did so.

With HPWCs shipping, maybe I should let him know to send me the 14-50. But I don't even have my car yet, so probably I won't get my HPWC for a while, and will need the 6-50 as a stop-gap. So probably I shouldn't say anything.

Anyway, short version: My understanding is you get one or the other, not both, 14-50 or 6-50.

by default you will receive a 110v, a J1772, and a 14-50. You may request a 6-50 instead of a 14-50, no charge, but will pay if you want both.
When I prepared to take delivery, due to the delay in the HPWC my DS said he would get a 6-50 adapter for me to marry with my pending SolarCity 6-50 install. I was told it would be free and there was no "turn in your 14-50 adapter for it".

At delivery, no 6-50 adapter. As SolarCity install was nearing, I called the Service Center and thay mailed me the 6-50 adapter. No cost, no trade-in of 14-50. It arrived in 2-3 business days.

YMMV.

@brianman and @FlasherZ - Great to hear. I should've checked my DS e-mail; he didn't say anything specific (just thanks for letting him know I'd need the 6-50), so the Solar City guy must've been wrong. (Or if my HPWC is actually installed before I get the car--which seems unlikely--I guess I wouldn't need the 6-50 and maybe they wouldn't bother sending it.) (I'm presuming the left and right hands know what each other are doing--kinda foolish, I know. ;-) )

My charging situation is going to be far less than optimal and heavily dependent on J1772. I have been hearing of deliveries sans the J1772 adapter, so on 1/13/2013 I emailed Tesla to check the adapter status. No response to date - I expect car delivery early February.

Guess I'll have to call, but my poor hearing makes that an unpleasant experience.

Last edited: