Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What charging cable(s) included in deliveries in Australia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While waiting for my Model 3 to be delivered, I have started ordering some useful (hopefully) accessories.

Just wondering other than the Universal Mobile Connector, does it come with any other cables/adaptors? I can people in the UK forum discussed that a blue 3 metres long Type 2 cable is included with their deliveries.

Thank you.

The 7.5m one looks decent value but not in Stock. Paid nearly that for a 5m J1772 to Mennekes cable 2 years ago.

Otherwise the spiral ones look appealing, but not sure how practical they are in use or storing away.

Check Aliexpress if you want cheap at the trade-off of a wait. You only need 16A three phase for the Model 3.

Plenty of local options:

Last edited:
Another thing you could pick up is a Type 1 to Type 2 adaptor. Again, not necessary, but there are some Type 1 public charges around. I just got one from AliExpress and it works great so far. This video goes over the different charging equipment for a Model 3 in Australia if you prefer watching a video.

Plenty of local options:
At single phase 32A Type2 station I tested a Type2 3phase 11kW cable and the car reported 20A, ~4kW (single on-board charger).
Using a 22kW Type2 cable, car reported 32A (as expected), ~7kW, a 75% increase.
If that improvement is significant then go for the 22kW cable.

Here's another local option, and slightly cheaper than Evolution.

Before you go and buy one work out whether you actually need it

Use PlugShare (www.plugshare.com) to see what chargers are in your area, or places where you may shop, you can filter your search by plug types, depending on which suburb of Melbourne you live there may be plenty of options other than type 2, often at the same location

Another thing to be aware of is that though the charging may be free, parking may not be, this is particularly true in the Melbourne CBD

If you do not travel a lot of Km's and you can charge at home you may not ever need one

In most cases the extra cables are not needed. I bought type1 to type 2 adapter and the type 2 22kw cable when I bought my car 2 years ago. I have used the adapter once to test it and I have used that cable 3 times in 2 years when arriving at charger all other faster ports were in use and a slower charging type 2 was still available. So chances are the extra cables will not get much use.

Reactions: hellolala