Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What charging cables do I need?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dietcoke

MYLR 5 | MSM/White | No Tow | OD 6/18 | VIN yes
Jun 19, 2021
San Francisco
I ordered a Model Y and I have a 14-50 outlet installed in my garage from previous owner. I'm confused by all the different cables / adapters.

1) What cables and adapters are included with the car?

2) What will I need to buy (or what would you recommended) to charge from my outlet?

3) Should I get another cable or adapter to charge at superchargers or third party charging stations?

Thanks!

I ordered a Model Y and I have a 14-50 outlet installed in my garage from previous owner. I'm confused by all the different cables / adapters.

1) What cables and adapters are included with the car?

2) What will I need to buy (or what would you recommended) to charge from my outlet?

3) Should I get another cable or adapter to charge at superchargers or third party charging stations?

Thanks!
Get the Tesla 14-50 NEMA Adapter. It’s $35 ish from Tesla. You’ll be good to go. It doesn’t come with any adapters other than a regular household plug adapter. That won’t get you far.

You do not need any adapter for Tesla Superchargers, they are plug and play. I would recommend a J1772 adapter for emergency level 2 charging. It may come with the car but I'm not sure. In any case there is no rush for that. It can be used with many Chargepoint or other public chargers. Much slower than Supercharger but it's helped me out on occasion. Good luck with your MY

Included with the car is a mobile connector that can charge on a normal 120v outlet (gets around 3 miles per hour). They also give you a J1772 adapter for non-tesla charging stations. The 14-50 adapter ($35/not included) will allow you to use your 14-50 outlet with the mobile connector. So you really just need to buy the 14-50 adapter. Charging amps should be set to no more than 80% of the capacity of the breaker that the 14-50 outlet is on.

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH
Actually he said "I have a 14-50 outlet installed in my garage from previous owner". Your answer is still correct though, all OP needs is the NEMA 14-50 adapter. On top of that I would probably also check the breaker and the wiring to make sure everything is sized to handle 40 Amps continuous load.
I checked and it’s directly connected to a 50amp breaker on my main panel (not sub). Does that sound like I’m good?

I guess I don’t know that they used the appropriate wires in between but I have some faith in the electrician who installed it.

I checked and it’s directly connected to a 50amp breaker on my main panel (not sub). Does that sound like I’m good?

I guess I don’t know that they used the appropriate wires in between but I have some faith in the electrician who installed it.
A licensed electrician is not going to install the wrong wiring for an outlet. And the breaker is fine for the mobile connector. You’re good to go once you have the 14-50 adapter.

Reactions: UncleCreepy