Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What color gray is my S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I read into the history of the grays but I'm still a little confused..

It seems like in mid 2014 they changed the Dolphin gray to Steel Gray which was darker, and that was later renamed the the midnight metallic gray but it is the same color (?).

The used 2015 S I ordered says "Metallic Gray" and I just assumed it was Steel Gray since it was a 2015, but in looking at other midnight gray pics, it seems darker and a bit bluer than the pics of the car I ordered: 2015 Tesla Model S 5YJSA1H29FFP75523 | False, Fa | Tesla

What do you guys think?

Thanks. Yeah I saw all those pictures too, but I think the lighting or something doesn't help. The close up shots looks like dolphin gray, but the overall car shots does make it look much darker than dolphin gray I think.. official description is "Gray Metallic" but I just thought dolphin gray was discontinued mid 2014, so if my car is 2015 than it would have to be steel gray right?

TBH those pictures in general weren't great.. some of them still had water drops on them so impossible to tell if there are scratches.. Pretty nervous about it, but we'll see next week!

Lighting will make a huge difference. My profile pic is dolphin gray but looks like steel gray on my laptop.

This is a pic I took when I first bought my car alongside a steel gray one.
3A5F8E26-42B1-4EDA-B602-F50EB82E5E0B.jpeg

Reactions: drummerboy7816
I'd also suggest that when seeing them in bright sunlight the Dolphin (old) grey will get a little slate-blue look to it in some lighting but the Midnight Silver (new) grey will have more of a blackish undertone. Also the Dolphin grey cars tend to have very slightly lighter/mismatched front/rear bumpers.... which I suspect is part of the reason why Tesla changed the color. EVERY Dolphin S I've seen has this mismatch to some degree, more so than other colors between plastic/metal parts-- you can really accentuate it by playing with filters on Instagram, btw. So I think Tesla just said MAKE IT DARKER.
Anyway...
See pics of my original rear bumper for ref, since replaced for collision repair. And front bumper pic showing the slatey-blueness it gets.
Ccy8yVlWAAEStOL.jpg

1-IMG_2950.JPG