TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What color is this model S?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Rborhani, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Rborhani

Rborhani Member

saw this in WSJ. What color is it? Red with unusual background lighting?

Attached Files:

2. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

Multi coat red

3. Petra

Petra Member

Yup, that's just the normal red. The image looks exposed for highlights, so the car is underexposed.

4. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

Purple?

Yanni?

5. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

Yep MultiCoat Red. Same as mine. It’s crazy how different it looks in different lighting.
    Same car
    875F8705-49BC-47C7-B6D8-F59DB611E04E.jpeg FF069A62-9989-4E11-913C-F3BBCD9A3C3A.jpeg

6. whitex

whitex Active Member

Lighting can change quite a lot. I took a picture of a chair for my wife who texted me from the store because she wanted to buy another chair and wanted to match the color. So I took 2 pictures of the same chair, same camera, seconds apart, with the only difference being ceiling lights on or off.
    chair color.png

If you are still unconvinced, the two chess squares labeled A and B below are the exact same color and shade (cover your screen with a piece of paper with 2 holes, one over A and over B, and you'll confirm they are identical - or see this wikipedia page ;)):
    lighting illusion.png

• Informative x 1
  7. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

Sometimes my multicoat red Model S actually looks like it’s black to the naked eye. Not just a camera/exposure phenomenon.

8. Bigt6542

Bigt6542 Member

Deep Blue IMG_20180602_194046.jpg

9. Oldschool496

Oldschool496 Member

My car Mutlicoat Red in some parking lot lighting at restaurant I frequent looks Black also until your right next to it. Its the lighting and exposure for sure in the photo above.

10. D.E.

D.E. Uncorked

AE11296E-05AC-4D3F-B720-821AE89C8262.png
    Artificial lighting doesn't have the even spectrum that sunlight has.

The color of an object won't appear exactly same under pretty much any modern artificial light. To see the true colors, you'll want to see the object in daylight and even then daylight will change somewhat throughout the day.

The illustration shows several artificial light sources but there are many more. That red car is a pretty good example of the color distortions we see under artificial lighting.