Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What color is this model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
saw this in WSJ. What color is it? Red with unusual background lighting?

Attachments

• E22220B1-DFEF-483D-B9B7-19D47A1FDAB3.jpeg
    E22220B1-DFEF-483D-B9B7-19D47A1FDAB3.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 160
Lighting can change quite a lot. I took a picture of a chair for my wife who texted me from the store because she wanted to buy another chair and wanted to match the color. So I took 2 pictures of the same chair, same camera, seconds apart, with the only difference being ceiling lights on or off.
chair color.png

If you are still unconvinced, the two chess squares labeled A and B below are the exact same color and shade (cover your screen with a piece of paper with 2 holes, one over A and over B, and you'll confirm they are identical - or see this wikipedia page ;)):
lighting illusion.png

• Informative
Reactions: xyeahtony
AE11296E-05AC-4D3F-B720-821AE89C8262.png

Artificial lighting doesn't have the even spectrum that sunlight has.

The color of an object won't appear exactly same under pretty much any modern artificial light. To see the true colors, you'll want to see the object in daylight and even then daylight will change somewhat throughout the day.

The illustration shows several artificial light sources but there are many more. That red car is a pretty good example of the color distortions we see under artificial lighting.