Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What color would you pick?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yellow EP5 was brought back from the UK to San Carlos:

brilliant_yellow.1.jpg

I guess I need to get into the shop this weekend and look at the VPs. However, those cars have a better social life than I do, and I doubt any of them will be there. Why would they be home on a weekend like me?

This angle on the yellow one shows the radiator's prominance. Maybe this is where "darkstar" came from. :)

It's like there needs to be a strip of color across the bottom to complete the "hole" and not look like the front is for picking up some crops or golfballs.

I realize it's more obvious with the light colored cars (like "glacier blue") :D

The story I heard is that the yellow car is an EP which went through a whole durability testing cycle in England.  Despite beating the stuffing out of it on the test track for thousands of miles, they found at the end it was still in basically good condition.  So, the decision was made to ship it to California and refurbish it, so they would have another EP to tinker with over there.

The photos on the cobblestone test track and up on the rack at San Carlos are probably the same car.

And yeah, I've thought about the need to do something with the huge front grille opening.  I think it's the one design cue of the car that doesn't sit quite right with me.  I had the idea of putting a strip of colored vinyl electrical tape across the bumper to make it look more complete.

Here in Texas we are required by law to have a front license plate.  I'm afraid it's going to look comical with that big gaping mouth and the plate hanging down like a pair of buck teeth. :p

I'm afraid it's going to look comical with that big gaping mouth and the plate hanging down like a pair of buck teeth

1011-Tow-Mater-2.jpg

The Tesla Pickup?  ;)
I do like the look of the Electric Blue VP
Tony - where are you getting all these VP images?  Owners section of Teslamotors?  Do you have any more?

malcolm said:
I do like the look of the Electric Blue VP
Tony - where are you getting all these VP images?  Owners section of Teslamotors?  Do you have any more?

The owner's gallery has the two photos of the white car, and it also quite a few of the electric blue and signature green cars being unpacked from their shipping crates.  Because of the lighting, however, the green car looks practically black.

Here's a couple more of the blue one. . . .

electric_blue.2.jpg
electric_blue.3.jpg

You can really see the sparkle, it's a premium color with more metal flake.

And as long as we're piling on the photos, I might as well toss these out again. . .

very_orange.1.jpg
very_orange.2.jpg

My two cents worth....The signature green is a gorgeous car, especially in the sunlight. In fact, last I heard, a certain someone I know was contemplating changing his color selection to the signature green after he saw it. I have not heard what his latest color selection is, so this may be old information.

Thanks for those Tony.

CEOswife - that is very interesting.  The images I've seen of the green car obviously don't do it justice. 

This is something of an issue.  I know that Tesla are planning to continue with the present selling model - strong internet presence - control of dealerships.  If only colour reproduction was more reliable.  Perhaps the website needs to feature the same sort of colour calibration images you find in certain video games and THX DVDs.  Maybe each photo of a Tesla would also contain a photo of a suitable series of colour bars, taken under the same lighting, or some other way that the serious buyer could adjust their monitor to get a better idea of the true colours of the cars.

Maybe something like Apple's ColorSync, but cheaper? (ColorSync is intended for printers as well, which is probably far more than Tesla would need to consider)

Maybe the solution is even simpler - just photograph the cars in pairs so that every colour gets to sit next to every other colour?

While we're on the subject, it amuses me that car adverts always feature empty roads, never traffic jams.  It would be great if the poster campaign for WhiteStar could feature the car in a bright colour (come on, it's going to have to be the green) in amongst grey, brown and black ICEs, hybrids and flex-fuels (maybe they would have to be photoshopped for legal reasons). 

If you want to push it further (too far?), then all the other cars should be Cadillac and Lincoln hearses - with the Tesla turning off at the junction/interchange.  "Tesla - it's time to start driving another way"

I'm sure that's true.  Tesla seems to be very committed to a strong web presence. 

The blog strategy is an interesting one - rather than feeding direct requests for ideas or responses to particular questions, the company reveals information about itself; its aims, trials, tribulations, triumphs - through the work of individual members of the team.  The inclusion of blogs from key customers builds the idea of the online community as an extended (if rowdier and much less focussed) team.  Through careful editing of posted comments, this "extended team" stays with or (more often) drifts off topic and bats around ideas and opinions.  Occasionally. the seed of a good idea emerges.

It must be rather like panning for gold.  For every nugget from an Anatoly or a TEG, there's mountains of, er... mud to wade through from the rest of us. :D

But to be honest, although its great fun to comment, to lob ideas around and feel involved, I still have relatively little idea of the learning curve that Tesla employees have had and continue to experience.  Its a tacit knowledge thing.  I know a lot about Tesla Motors, but I don't have any experience of it. 

So, has the web made pioneering design the new spectator sport?

Dammit!.....Off Topic AGAIN!

vfx said:
It's like there needs to be a strip of color across the bottom to complete the "hole" and not look like the front is for picking up some crops or golfballs.

I realize it's more obvious with the light colored cars (like "glacier blue")   :D

I agree. I think the car looks great with the exception of the "incomplete" front lower lip. It looks like a vacuum cleaner the way it's trimmed out.

I started a thread over on the Tesla Motors owners' board asking whether the Roadster needed a body-colored front lower lip treatment to the make car look more complete. I got very few response comments.

At the moment, my wife's and my prospective color choice is gloss (not metallic) black to try to minimize the unfinished look of the nose.

The "incomplete" lower lip of the car doesn't bother me so much cuz most people will only see the rear end as it zooms off :) (or as they sit stuck in traffic)

I love that Radioactive Green on the Mazda2, there. I feel younger and more cool just looking at it :)

Personally, I wanna get a Solar Yellow roadster, park it in front of a GM-sponsored "Live Green, Go Yellow" (E85) billboard and put a pic online :)

-Ryan

This afternoon I saw a Yellow / Orange Lotus Elise travelling in the opposite direction the color made a "statement".

Why does Tesla have different price parameters for the paint? The paint charge works well on "economy cars" as an additional way for a manufacturer to increase its profit. The economy cars have a low base price and the manufacturers make sure that all the popular / desirable colors are an additional charge.

AGR said:
Why does Tesla have different price parameters for the paint?

The basic Fusion Red and Racing Green are solid colors, so they are relatively simple and inexpensive to apply. (Also probably easier to match when repairing or touching up dings on the car, if you worry about such things.)

The metallic colors such as Radiant Red require multiple coats and more clearcoat, I think.

Most of the premium colors are "extra metallic" with more metal flake and more depth, you can see how they respond to light striking from different angles. (It's particularly noticeable with Electric Blue.)

The exception is Jet Black, which is a solid color but it's also a premium color. The only thing I've been able to figure out is that it's not a color Lotus currently offer for their own cars. Thus, they have to mix up a special batch whenever they paint a Roadster this color -- instead of, for example, painting a Roadster and two Elises red at the same time.