Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What comes with model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...But for Tesla to constantly taking away things like Homelink, floor mats, frunk mat, cargo hooks, door pocket lights, 14-50 adapter, etc without notifying customers it's really getting annoying...

Funny thing, I just found out this morning that the M3 doesn't include Homelink. It's a $300 accessory now. I just assumed it would include it, as pretty much all cars at this price point do.

I'm not mad and I'm not going to cancel my order or anything silly like that. But I was genuinely surprised. I was looking forward to getting rid of my garage door opener visor clip. Oh well. If down the road it bugs me enough, I'll have to order it and mumble about it under my breath.

Funny thing, I just found out this morning that the M3 doesn't include Homelink. It's a $300 accessory now. I just assumed it would include it, as pretty much all cars at this price point do.

I'm not mad and I'm not going to cancel my order or anything silly like that. But I was genuinely surprised. I was looking forward to getting rid of my garage door opener visor clip. Oh well. If down the road it bugs me enough, I'll have to order it and mumble about it under my breath.
I also took it for granted as all the cars I had in the past ten years had it (Honda, Nissan, etc). I'll dust off my garage door opener and use it for a while and see if I can live with it. The Tesla Homelink is more advanced than regular one though as it's GPS based and will open/close doors automatically.

Yeah, homelink has been around for close to 20 years. I really doubt it is $300 (cost) if included in all vehicles. Again, that kind of suff is found in a Honda Civic.

I still don’t get it about the mats. In an AWD LR (premium interior) car - do we get mats - the kind that can be taken out and shaken off?

The seats are primo, but if we step in a pile of dog crap - it ends up directly on the carpet? Tesla needs to make this clear for upcoming owners.

Yeah, homelink has been around for close to 20 years. I really doubt it is $300 (cost) if included in all vehicles. Again, that kind of suff is found in a Honda Civic.

I still don’t get it about the mats. In an AWD LR (premium interior) car - do we get mats - the kind that can be taken out and shaken off?

The seats are primo, but if we step in a pile of dog crap - it ends up directly on the carpet? Tesla needs to make this clear for upcoming owners.

Yes, we get carpeted floor mats. I asked here before, and our local SA confirmed it.

I totally agree. When most people think of Tesla, they don't think of buying their own floor mats and trying to make do with all the missing items that would be there in a Honda Civic. Sorry, but a Tesla - all Teslas - are luxury cars. They drive like many luxury cars - even better.

If Tesla needs more cash flow, then raise the price a bit more. What's a couple of hundred dollars in the whole price of a Model 3? Most people would pay it. We definitely don't want a car slapped together missing paint in places.
What annoys me is Tesla just raised the price, cut even more from the car and told no one. That could well be their own undoing if there was any actual competitors. (edit) to be fair we got an estimated increase in range that they told everyone about even those that paid less for the same lol.

Missing mats ok in the SR and SR+, missing fog lights, change to the rear glass panel, missing pocket lights, missing hook and exposed screws? Seriously Tesla I draw the line at premium prices and exposed screws. What's next missing plastic for the frunk compartment otherwise exposed and open? I've driven a rental KIA, Ford, Honda with zero exposed screws. That's just off the top of my head a fairly long laundry list of missing stuff from an expensive car. For the money I'm paying for this vehicle within this segment I could be in a decently loaded A4 with nothing missing but.. it isn't a Tesla.

However I think it's beneficial for everyone to vent about these things, not that we can change them but at least we can compare what was delivered two months ago vs now and ask why am I paying $XXX more for less features?

Yes the Tesla 3 has some minor cosmetic and functional issues BUT these issues are relatively easy and inexpensive to resolve in most cases.

There are numerous other cars that definitely have better paint, fit and finish, however those cars can not reasonably be upgraded to come close to the Tesla’s safety, performance and driving experience.

So you can decide what’s really important to you.

FYI - I’m very happy with my Stealth.

As petty as a lot of the complaints are in the big picture, I think it's actually a good thing for Tesla to listen to them. Companies like Apple (who also have nitpicky fans) made their reputation on sweating the small stuff: even down to the neatness of the packaging and the way cables were tied. Apple packaging is now frequently copied by other manufacturers for that reason, even long after Apple itself moved to much simpler and bare bones packaging. And often it's the little things that make you feel like you purchased something great—because it shows care and attention to detail. I remember how delighted I was when closing the lid on the early Macbooks would show a sleep light pulsing gently, as if it were breathing while asleep. They eventually took that away, and I was surprised how much I missed it.

A brand that aspires to luxury and refinement, like Tesla, should do no less. Understandably, they are financially stressed and are frantically trying to fulfill more orders than they can keep up with, so they're going to cut some corners. When things are more stable though, I hope they see that even small things like frunk hooks actually do matter. Not because frunk hooks themselves are important, but because they symbolize that they're looking out for the customer in even the small things. Taking small things out has a cumulative effect. It makes one wonder where else they might be cutting corners. It's not good for the long term trust any automaker needs to survive.

You know one of the best signs that your company might be going under or laying people off soon? When they take away the snacks and the coffee. Small things are often the canary in the coal mine.

Last edited:
As petty as a lot of the complaints are in the big picture, I think it's actually a good thing for Tesla to listen to them. Companies like Apple (who also have nitpicky fans) made their reputation on sweating the small stuff: even down to the neatness of the packaging and the way cables were tied. Apple packaging is now frequently copied by other manufacturers for that reason, even long after Apple itself moved to much simpler and bare bones packaging. And often it's the little things that make you feel like you purchased something great—because it shows care and attention to detail. I remember how delighted I was when closing the lid on the early Macbooks would show a sleep light pulsing gently, as if it were breathing while asleep. They eventually took that away, and I was surprised how much I missed it.

A brand that aspires to luxury and refinement, like Tesla, should do no less. Understandably, they are financially stressed and are frantically trying to fulfill more orders than they can keep up with, so they're going to cut some corners. When things are more stable though, I hope they see that even small things like frunk hooks actually do matter. Not because frunk hooks themselves are important, but because they symbolize that they're looking out for the customer in even the small things. Taking small things out has a cumulative effect. It makes one wonder where else they might be cutting corners. It's not good for the long term trust any automaker needs to survive.

You know one of the best signs that your company might be going under or laying people off soon? When they take away the snacks and the coffee. Small things are often the canary in the coal mine.

You do have a point in that Apple gets lots of people to pay $1300 for a phone! If you had told me that a few years ago, I wouldn’t have believed you.

Apple gets to dollar because they really nit pick on details, and always give you more than the last version of a phone.

Tesla didn’t really need to go all crazy with the price point of a $35,000 sedan. It never made any at that price point and probably never will. Its living under a cloud from that statement that is now hard to get away from. In fact, if they hadn’t talked about cars that inexpensive, they could raise prices much higher. Its not like they have competition.

So, when you start leaving exposed steel ... it really starts to drive home that they are really desperate for a buck. The paint problems people have encountered are similar. Paint just slows Tesla production down. The problem is that paint is important on a car.

Tesla didn’t really need to go all crazy with the price point of a $35,000 sedan. It never made any at that price point and probably never will. Its living under a cloud from that statement that is now hard to get away from. In fact, if they hadn’t talked about cars that inexpensive, they could raise prices much higher. Its not like they have competition.

This is incorrect. The base ($35k model) was offered online for a brief period, and then was available by calling Tesla’s order line or visiting a showroom.

It is still available, but the price is now $35.4k.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: George75 and vickh
I can understand Tesla doing this for budget reasons, but they should be honest with customers, like they made is clear the difference between trims, I won't complain about satellite maps (ordered SR+) because as a customer I know that's not a included feature. But for Tesla to constantly taking away things like Homelink, floor mats, frunk mat, cargo hooks, door pocket lights, 14-50 adapter, etc without notifying customers it's really getting annoying. Cargo hook maybe a small thing, and many people don't use them, but to me they are important as I plan to put takeouts in the frunk and hooks are a must. What Tesla should have done is announcing that after a certain date certain changes will be made to the car, and what other stuff will get removed, and here is the link to buy it afterwards. Like I said in another thread most people defending Tesla's decision are people who got the car before all those changes so they have all these amenities that newer owners won't have.

And yes compare to model 3 the Bolt is more refined, and just about any other EV on the market. I love Tesla very much so removing those stuff won't affect my decision right now, but a few years down the road when other manufacturers have caught up Tesla will have some serious competition. I kinda hoped Tesla could have kept on raising price instead of decontent the car...... Apple had similar issue with the iPhone at the beginning, certain features available on Android are missing due to design compromises and cost issues, but Apple ended up just raise the price and kept their phones in the premium segment.

What do you mean satellite maps are not included feature for SR+ ?
Can you explain this?

Price difference between Model 3 SR+ and similarly equipped Bolt not as much a most think.

Model 3: $39490
Bolt: $43735

Bolt has current $6500 mfg. discount.
Bolts are openly advertised for a fair amount less than $43,735 (or whatever) minus $6500. My '19 Bolt Premier w/driver confidence II, DC FC inlet and infotainment package was MSRP of $43,510 when the Federal tax credit was $7500 and I was way below sticker (a bit over $37K before and and license). There were no more options other than stuff like all weather floor mats and black bowtie emblems.

Right now, the cheapest Bolt I see at Fremont - New Chevrolet Bolt EV Vehicles for Sale (I bought from them) is the Premier (higher trim) at $34,208 (MSRP $42,760) before $1875 tax credit.

Bolts are openly advertised for a fair amount less than $43,735 (or whatever) minus $6500. My '19 Bolt Premier w/driver confidence II, DC FC inlet and infotainment package was MSRP of $43,510 when the Federal tax credit was $7500 and I was way below sticker (a bit over $37K before and and license). There were no more options other than stuff like all weather floor mats and black bowtie emblems.

Right now, the cheapest Bolt I see at Fremont - New Chevrolet Bolt EV Vehicles for Sale (I bought from them) is the Premier (higher trim) at $34,208 (MSRP $42,760) before $1875 tax credit.
I likely would have grabbed a bolt if it had adaptive cruise. I currently have a volt with that option.