TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What Configuration will be produced 1st.?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Scoopup, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Scoopup

Scoopup Member

After my MX I don't want to make the same mistake of being an early reservation holder and being one of the last to receive my car. I hope they want even have option like coil suspension and different seating to cause this problem.

2. Chewy3

Chewy3 If MacGvyer had a beard

They haven't confirmed anything about configuration priority yet, but there is a lot of speculation that it will be higher optioned vehicles first (I believe this has been done with S & X). This allows Tesla to build capital quicker with the higher margin vehicles first.

3. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

I think that Elon/Tesla has confirmed this - but not gone into details on the exact options that will be prioritized.

According to this video (@3:38) it will start with large battery and RWD, not AWD (Dual motors). But that is only rumours!

4. jsanford

jsanford Red 3 Reserver

How much later? We're planning on a pretty standard configuration, I'm curious to know if our car will be delivered weeks or months after the first ones. My spitball guess was Q2/2018.

5. smak

smak Member

The problem with going by "highly optioned", is you can build a smallest battery, RWD Tesla Model 3 with every other option, most expensive seats, wheels, paint etc.. and be more expensive than a model 3 with the biggest battery and AWD but light on the other options.

So which in those scenarios would come first?

6. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

Being practicle people, I would imagine that they will try to build the highest profit vehicles first, but will be tempered by producing those configurations that have all the parts in house to produce completed vehicles.

7. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

If they follow the previous S and X ramps, the largest battery size and performance trims would come first as they add the most dollars and margin. However, certain options could delay your order like the 5 seat option did on the X.

While ramping they are not at "economies of scale", so they need sell higher priced cars first to still be profitable.

8. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

It won't matter 'Who's on First'. With so many Reservations and an anticipation of many more to come, Tesla must be able to build any of them in any order as quickly as possible. That's why 'ease of manufacture' is such a priority.

9. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

I agree. In their original plan I bet they were looking at building and delivering, maybe a few thousand this year and then slowly ramping up production to their original 200,000 mark next year. With the accelerated ramp up though trying to maximize short term profits is much less important. Of course there is nothing official from Tesla on that, it's mostly wishful thinking :)

• Like x 1
  10. Red Sage

Yes. It is precisely that type of 'wishful thinking' that I wish to foster. Astounds me how many Tesla Enthusiasts want to kill that babe in the cradle though. Makes me feel like the lead from 'Lone Wolf & Cub' sometimes.

11. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

In their defense though the only thing we have to go on is past experience and what they've said they were going to do, both of which lead to "highest optioned first". But I'm still hoping not!!

• Like x 1
  12. Petra

Petra Member

Given the number of reservation holders who are banking on receiving the full federal credit, I feel like production order/configuration prioritization is something that Tesla should be completely transparent about prior to asking people to confirm their orders.

13. S3XY

S3XY Member

I think this is mainly due to people preferring to be pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed.

14. Red Sage

Waitasec...

Regarding the Federal EV Tax Credit, Elon Musk has said, "We will do the obvious thing." I know what I think is obvious, everyone else will have to fend for themselves.

When it comes to "production order/configuration prioritization" I hope you understand a couple of things: 1) that is proprietary information; and 2) it is none of your business. Thus, there is no need whatsoever to be 'completely transparent about' anything -- EVER -- for ANY reason. Period.

Certainly not 'prior to asking people to confirm their orders'. Let's go over how that might work... Someone is invited to Configure. They do so, but don't Submit their order. Why? Because they are sitting there, waiting for Tesla to be 'transparent'.

Really? You would want a realtime update as to Tesla's queue status for each and every one of the potential configurations that have NOT BEEN SUBMITTED in relation to those that have been BEFORE they are finalized? ... w00f!

Sorry. ... Hold on a bit. ... O... K! I'm back. Took me a while to fully wrap my mind around the notion of just how entirely STUPID that would be!

No. That ain't gonna happen. Because only the orders that have been FINALIZED would be in the queue to be prioritized.

Here is the full extent of transparency you need be aware of:
    1. Tesla is a fast moving company so some options will be available immediately, some options will disappear if they are unpopular, and some things may be easier to acquire than others causing unforeseen delays.
    2. The configuration you choose is for you car and is thus unique to YOUR CAR and might very possibly be so much different from everyone else's that is configured that second, minute, hour, day, or week that there is no immediate direct batching member for manufacture and that may cause unforeseen delays.
    3. If a feature is added to the configurator before you have finalized your order and you decide to make changes to include that option or feature there is absolutely no way whatsoever to guarantee that doing so will aid or harm the likely possibility that your order will be subject to unforeseen delays.
    4. After you finalize your order, Tesla will prioritize it using whatever means they feel most appropriate and will advise you when to come get your car.

I hope this helps!

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  15. Red Sage

Wait... Izzat pleasantly surprised that I was right... Or dissappointed that I'm right... Or disappointed that I'm wrong... Or pleasantly surprised by the huge amount by which I'm wrong? This is confusing...

"Those who wish for nothing long for death most of all."

16. Petra

Petra Member

You read way more into my comment than was ever intended, to the point of absurdity...

Tesla isn't flying blind here. Any reasonably well organized company preparing to throw the switch on manufacturing a new product is going to have internal projections on what their expected breakdown will be across major product options/variations. Said projections would then guide initial production planning. Yes, Tesla's internal projections are proprietary information and I have no expectation of them being shared, nor do I see a need for it. However, what Tesla could do is share, in a general sense, how their projections influenced their initial production planning in order to more clearly and realistically set customer expectations prior to the point of no return in the ordering process.

17. Red Sage

#18 Red Sage, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    No. Tesla cannot -- ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT -- 'share' that type of information in any way whatsoever to ANY [DURNED] BODY outside the firm because they are a high profile publicly traded company on the threshold of a major product launch. I understand why you want it. I know you would use it well. Sucks, but you can't get it. Period.

Why? Simple. Because those legions of $#0r+s, Bear$, ANALysts, pundits, Naysayers, lawyers, ne'er-do-wells, and associated lynch mobs are waiting for any friggin' excuse, no matter how slight, to accuse Tesla of wrongdoing and demand that an alphabet soup of enforcement agencies from FBI and FTC through IRS and SEC descend upon Tesla's Palo Alto offices with a stackful of writs to shut down their operations pending investigation.

Don't believe me? You don't have to. Stop by YouTube and check out documentaries that cover TUCKER and DeLOREAN to see the lengths that big business will go to in order to revel in trumped up charges being brought against innocents.

Tesla is in a new technology world today. Most of the smear tactics that were used to campaign against those other car companies simply don't work anymore. Didn't stop them from trying anyway. Tesla can resist the influence of The OLD GUARD, but they cannot give The ENEMY ammunition or arms. Tesla must be very careful to remain well within the rules all the way through the full launch of Model 3.

Big picture.

18. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

My expectation is like the Model X as you configure your car it will change the build date based on the options you select. This of course will factor in your geographic location and when you put down your deposit as well. I would expect them to start with the AWD P models as in the past, but that is still to be determined. Other manufacturing criteria may come into play.

This will also serve to *inspire* people to option their cars up a bit more! ;)
    Who is going to not click up to the bigger battery when you see that estimated build or delivery date change to near the end of, say, Q2 2018? :D

19. DarthPierce

DarthPierce Member

Yes, putting an extra 4k of options into the car to get the full tax credit sure makes sense to me :)

• Like x 1