TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What controls charging? Juicebox or Tesla.

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by Stellavator, May 16, 2018.

1. Stellavator

Stellavator Member

Configured and awaiting VIN. Ordered a Juicebox Pro for home installation. I noticed that there is an app and controls for when to charge and charge rate, etc... But, I believe the Tesla on-board charger controls the charge. How do these two systems, seemingly trying to control the same thing, work together? And if left on the charger for a week or two while on vacation, Tesla says to keep it plugged in and the OBC will kee itself charged up appropriately. Is there a function on the juicebox to allow the Tesla to manage charging?

This may be painfully obvious to someone already using the juicebox, but I'm a bit confused.

2. Altes

Altes Member

Juicebox controls power to the tesla and the tesla controls power to the battery. I have my juicebox set to give power to the tesla when rates are low I have the tesla set to charge whenever. this way I can control when the car charges from the juicebox web app overriding if i need power during the day.
    Another advantage to juicebox is slightly higher charge rate and historical charge record

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  3. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

It's kind of either/both. I frequently use a restaurant buffet analogy, so let's see if I can extend it a little bit. With most wall connector units, they are always "on", as in sending a communication signal saying power can be available. So it's like the buffet of food is out there. But the car is like you with your plate. You can go and decide when you want food and how much.

But this Juicebox functionality is kind of like if they have a rolldown door that can close off the buffet, so it's just not available. So even if the car wanted to try to charge, there's just nothing it can get to.

Tesla cars have a functionality to schedule the charging time that you can turn on or off. So if your wall connector is always on, you can have the car decide to wait and start charging later, like at 1AM. Or, if you have the scheduled thing on the car turned off, to where it will try to charge whenever it is plugged in, then you could use the Juicebox functionality to cut the power or enable it.

• Like x 1
  4. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

I would not setup a timer on the Juicebox, have it set to be always on. By default it should be that way, just don't configure any timer settings when you get it.

Set any timer or charge limit you want in the Car.

• Like x 2
  5. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Tesla Wall Connector (HPWC) is less expensive, can be set for any amperage circuit, and plugs directly into charge port without needing the J1772 adapter. There is no reason for a Tesla owner to install JuicePro or any J1772 unless you have another EV to charge.

• Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 1
  6. Stellavator

Stellavator Member

Thanks. We do plan on another EV in the near future, and it will likely not be a Tesla, hence the J1772 juicebox being installed to reach both car ports.

Appreciate all the help and clarification. So, the juicebox can be set to "always on" so that the Tesla can do its thing?

• Like x 1
  7. ai4px

ai4px Wes

I have a Chevy Bolt and a MS.... I'll soon install two tesla HPWC's. The one nearest by Bolt, I'll cut off the tesla end and replace with a J1772 end. All the wiring inside the cord is the same. That way both cars can share the same 50amp service to the garage.

8. davewill

davewill Member

I do that exactly the opposite way. I find it much better to set a schedule in the EVSE than to do so in the car, especially if you're dealing with any sort of complex schedule. That way there's no question about the car charging at other locations because it's set to always charge when plugged in. Plus the JuiceBox can be managed remotely, so you can easily override from your phone.

9. Stellavator

Stellavator Member

Interesting. Can you have a set charge limit on the car (say 75 or 80%) for battery management, and also set the car to charge whenever connected, so that you can then schedule the time of day to charge through the JuiceBox?

10. davewill

davewill Member

Sure.

11. David L

David L Member

Several months ago, someone reported that the Model 3, unlike the Model S, does not begin charging when Juicebox enables charging at the set time. If you have a Model 3 and a Juicebox, can you comment on whether this issue has been fixed?

12. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

For most people, the HPWC will be the simpler/cheaper/easier solution. But the JuiceBox does provide functionality that the HPWC does not--namely, reporting on the car's 'actual' (from the wall) usage instead of the energy that makes it to the battery, as well as the capability to schedule charging at the EVSE level (and therefore know that it will apply to any car that connects to it instead of relying on each car being scheduled correctly). Also, it provides real-time usage detail as well as history reporting.

• Like x 1
  13. miimura

miimura Active Member

The JuiceBox Pro provides energy metering for all users and optional demand response if it is supported by your utility. So, I would not say there is "no reason". The J1772 connector for charging other EVs is of course the most compelling reason to choose it over a Tesla Wall Connector. JuiceBox can also do load sharing, so that's not a compelling advantage for the TWC either.

• Like x 1
  14. Heft

Heft Member

The feedback from Altes and davewill in this thread imply this issue has been fixed, and I certainly hope this is the case. However, based on my experience, this issue has NOT been fixed. My Juicebox was installed last month (Oct 2018), and I contacted eMotorwerks to complain once I experienced this issue. Here is their response:

Model 3's do not currently comply with the J1772 charging port standard. While this issue is expected to be fixed by Tesla, we do not yet have an estimated time frame as to when this will occur.

What does this mean for you? When you are using your JuiceNet Time-of-Use (TOU) settings or participating in a Smart Charging Event, the Model 3 may not commence charging when expected. This means that it may not “wake up”, despite your JuiceBox permitting power to flow to your EV.
    [For smart charging events, we handle this issue by not pausing your charging entirely, but rather by reducing the charging rate by approximately 2 kW until the smart charging event is completed.]

With that said; we ask that you use the Tesla app timer in order to allow your charging to begin at your desired TOU times, thus please deactivate your JuiceNet Timer.

15. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

FWIW, I tested this last night by letting my car go to sleep while TOU period on the JuiceBox was not in effect, and then I fired up charging via the JuiceBox app. The car did not start charging until I woke it via the Tesla app several minutes later. So it does not seem fixed.

16. davewill

davewill Member

You've misread this thread, I don't have a JuiceBox OR a Model 3 and have no idea whether a bug that didn't come up in the thread until YOUR post is fixed or not.

• Like x 1
  17. Heft

Heft Member

You're absolutely right regarding this part: I assumed you had a JuiceBox based on your responses.
    I don't quite understand the rest of your run-on sentence, though.

I'm baffled, though: If you don't have a JuiceBox or Model 3, then why are you in a Model 3 forum contributing to a JuiceBox thread?

18. davewill

davewill Member

This thread wasn't about your bug. Therefore nothing anybody wrote before you is about the bug or even specifically about Model 3 and nobody implied it was fixed.

I post here because I have a Tesla powered car with a Tesla charger, battery and motor, and am interested in Tesla. Since all of my EVs have been J1772, I am more versed in non-Tesla charging stations than some. In this particular case, I have two EVSEs that have timers, which none of the Tesla EVSEs have, so I gave my insight.

• Helpful x 1