Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What convinced you to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
YouTube videos? Online reviews? a friend’s Tesla? a ride in an X or S?

What convinced you to make the final leap on the Model 3 and which one did you go for?

I was curious of the vehicle but still thought it was a bit out of my price range for what I wanted. I wanted to go electric but just hated the ‘consumer’ options. They all felt so cheap.

Went to the local Tesla dealership thinking I’d like it, but wouldn’t walk out buying one. Within a minute of my test drive I turned to my SA and blurted out ‘I’m buying one. Period.’

He said, ‘Yeah, that happens a lot.’

Long Range AWD on the way for me here.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Yeah. Man...The first time flooring it seems to be a big one. I had to call about 3 friends afterwards I was so excited.

to think I almost ended up with Kona EV...which really isn’t that much cheaper.
Hybrid Toyota Avalon and BMW 330 were on my must drive list. I even went to BMW just to see if it was going to make me question my decision the day after I put the deposit down in the model 3.

Reactions: Arpe and JordyJr12
I did a lot of research and video watching to learn more about the Model 3 and the Model S, but the test drive was the primary factor, for sure. My wife and I went for a test drive and we both fell in love with it.

Secondary to that was the number crunching time between the test drive and the purchase. It's the most expensive car I've purchased thus far, and while I can afford it, I still second guessed whether it was silly or reasonable to pull the trigger on it. Talked to some of my friends and realized that it was basically the same price as a nice F150 or Explorer, which helped me put it into perspective a bit. Did some APR shopping and got a solid rate and decided to go for it!

We took delivery Thursday and couldn't possibly be happier with the purchase.

EDIT: Also opted for the LR AWD.

• Love
Reactions: Dre78 and JordyJr12
Wanted a Tesla since the Roadster came out way back but at 150k it was no way reachable. The model S at 115k still wasn’t in my budget as 35k is where I want to be at for any car. The Model 3 at 35k was a perfect fit. Placed my order in 2016 and waited. Best purchase ever. I would never go back to an ICE car.

Fred

Received an email from Tesla March 2017 offering a test drive with an S or X. Arranged for an S since my intention was to get a 3. Had it out on the highway and city streets for about 40 minutes. Was given the go-ahead to floor it on an on-ramp (straight shot with a slight incline into a dedicated lane on the highway) and was very impressed with the technology. While I knew that the 3 would not have the same acceleration it did give me some idea what Tesla could do.

Fast forward to January 2018 when I had the opportunity to rent a Model 3 from Turo.com for a weekend. Despite a couple of Cons, some of them which have now been addressed, I knew this was the car for me.

Reactions: Dre78 and JordyJr12
YouTube videos? Online reviews? a friend’s Tesla? a ride in an X or S?

What convinced you to make the final leap on the Model 3 and which one did you go for?

I was curious of the vehicle but still thought it was a bit out of my price range for what I wanted. I wanted to go electric but just hated the ‘consumer’ options. They all felt so cheap.

Went to the local Tesla dealership thinking I’d like it, but wouldn’t walk out buying one. Within a minute of my test drive I turned to my SA and blurted out ‘I’m buying one. Period.’

He said, ‘Yeah, that happens a lot.’

Long Range AWD on the way for me here.

I make regular trips across state that are about 260 miles round trip. My S has to charge at half way point (My S can only do about 230) and doesn’t have autopilot.

I chose a Model 3 Long Range (AWD as no RWD option anymore). It should be capable of doing round trip without charging half way on good weeks. So compared to my S, it has better efficiency, longer range, faster charging, AWD, autopilot which will be nice on highway, all for less cost new than my S was used.

One other point of interest — I was tempted by the performance model, but the nail in the coffin on that was because I don’t like the performance model wheels — too low profile / susceptible to damage (IMO for Model 3 — 18 good, 19 ok, 20+ bad), and now only offered in dark grey, which I hate. Sure I could change them, but then the all in price gets too high.

I’m not getting rid of my S, but I will start using the 3 for my work trips across state.

I opted for blue, white interior, and the sport wheels (love their style enough that I was willing to go 19 for them despite my large wheel reservations). No FSD; regular AP will be plenty for me.

I have a Leaf and I think for any EV drivers the ultimate goal is to get a Tesla, before ordering the SR+ my top two alternates are new Honda Accord Hybrid Touring, or a used Bolt. The Bolt will be roughly half the price of a M3SR+ but I eliminated it due to the super narrow seat and lack of adaptive cruise control. The Accord ticks all the boxes (actually more boxes then the Model 3) but at the end when factoring in federal tax incentive and our state sales tax exemption the Tesla is only $2300 more, so I ordered my dream car knowing its limitations.

Reactions: JordyJr12
Was driving an 18 year old Corolla (Built at the now Tesla Factory actually!). Refused to buy another gas vehicle if I could afford an electric. All the other electric cars felt like compliance cars with garbage DCFC networks so I ordered the SR. My only regret was not splurging on one of the LR models (ideally RWD) since it would make the Bay Area <-> LA trips faster. (always 1 stop vs sometimes 2)

As I am from NL: Tax reasons.
As I am a 'gadgeteer': the gadget style of the car.
As I am a sucker for a fast car for little money: the acceleration. (as experienced from a colleague with a model X)

I came from a plug in Outlander which I drove with the heater off in order to drive it EV only if possible so Environment also has a strong say. But boy this is the most fun car ever.

I never stood a chance :)

I had been interested in Teslas for a while, but of course the Model S & and X were too expensive. When the Model 3 started going into production I was following it in the news etc but it wasn't until this year that it seemed the production and build quality issues had calmed down.

After getting married this year I knew I was going to need a four door (had a 2017 Challenger R/T with manual trans and a 1995 Rx-7) when I have a kid. So I was thinking about getting another used Cadillac CTS-V (had a 2005 model) or a Chevy SS, all with manual trans. After the HW3 announcement I thought, "Well maybe I should check out a Model 3 now, they just did some updates." I have free L2 charging at work so my gas bill goes from ~$200 a month to 0, so that offsets the purchase price. Also I knew the tax credit was going to drop from the $3750 down to half of that soon.

I test drove a SR+ with my wife and in laws and they all seemed to like it or at least not mind it. Then I test drove a LR AWD. The first time I floored it I looked over at the sales guy and said "I can feel my wallet getting lighter." I ordered a LR AWD within a few days, and when I went to pick it up a friend joined me and test drove a Performance. Then he ordered one, along with his coworker! Then two of my coworkers bought LR AWD and a Performance (Stealth). So I guess the purchases happen in clusters.

Combination of 3 things:
1) hating getting gas in Jan/Feb
2) all the tech in the car
3) Nissan discontinued the Xterra

#3 is really the catalyst. I had planned on just buying another Xterra because the car was very convenient for my lifestyle (I cycle quite a bit and it had an internal bike rack that could store 2 bikes. Once it was off the table and there really wasn't anything equivalent out there I started looking at other stuff. Wasn't long after that I started hearing about Tesla's breaking 0-60 records and I started looking into them.

Once I saw the screen and all the technology in the car I became very interested and couldn't find anything that could compare. Then we had a particularly cold day (like -20f before windchill) when I had to drive to work and realized I needed gas. Having my nose hairs freeze during the gas pumping process convinced my I couldn't get into a Tesla soon enough.