Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What convinced you to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
gas price.jpg

Autopilot (Enhanced Autopilot that is, not the basic sad Autopilot they include now), plain and simple. I think that there are a lot of cars better than a Model 3 without Autopilot. I don't think there's a car at any price better as a daily driver than a Model 3 with Autopilot, though.

I mean that, too. If I were a billionaire, I'd still drive a Model 3 for my day to day life. The only difference is that I'd pay someone whatever it takes to engineer me better front seats for it.

Reactions: JordyJr12
I owned a LEAF (still do) as my 'poor man's Tesla'. I wanted a Model 3 so that I could travel long distance and the Tesla SC network is the only viable option. I had also planned to put in solar before the 3 arrived as I wanted to be able to offset the house and EVs power usage. The 3 provides more ability to drive longer distances regionally while charging at home in addition to the SC network. Other than long distance EV capabilities, I would say the software experience, best BMS, and performance. I bought EAP, but it wasn't a major consideration as it is only really useful on long trips in my driving.

I ended up with a LR AWD for performance and I like having AWD just in case.

Had no intention of buying one until ...

1. Test drove with my sister who was in the market for an M3
2. Crunched the numbers and realized it was actually affordable (despite being the most $ car I've ever owned)
3. Realized #2 was possible because I would save approx $250-$300/month on gas AND get free L2 charging at work
4. Thought I wanted to replace the compact SUV that I had with a similar type of car until I drove the M3 and it handled like a dream

Ended up getting the LR AWD in September 2019 and love it!

If I were a billionaire, I would pay someone to drive me...a chauffeur. But, a Tesla with Enhanced Autopilot is a close second.

That's fair. I don't really want a human driving me around though. I'm pretty weird and don't like being in the passenger seat for whatever reason, and the back seats are terrible, so the only place I want to be is the driver seat. I just don't want to have to drive while I'm there.

Now that said, if I were to be in a situation where another human is driving me? There's no way I'd be doing it in a Tesla.

After my husband buying a Model S for his car and driving it, I knew I wanted a Tesla for my next car, which was imminent. Put a deposit down on it and waited to get my invite (this was in 2018). When we went to a Tesla meet up to Kettleman City Supercharger location in our Model S, one of the early Model 3 owners was giving test drives. Pretty much sealed the deal although I would have kept my reservation/order even without a test drive. Have loved driving it for over a year now.

My story:

Our 2013 BMW was quickly approaching 70k miles, that’s the mileage I get nervous owning a BMW, my other daily option is a lifted Jeep Wrangler on 35’s. While the wrangler is fantastic on the beach, it’s not the most economical for my 50mile daily commute. The BMW was acceptable. 25.6mpg very consistently for me.

I started considering an electric car due to the fact I have a fun fast car (Lotus Elise) and an off-roader. My plan was to pick up a used Nissan Leaf, until I told the wife...she was about convinced I’d lost my mind and pointed out that the leaf is absurdly ugly. She had zero interest being seen in an ugly car.

I showed her a model 3 which is IMO the only non ugly electric car anywhere near a price I’m willing to pay. She didn’t hate it.

I started researching, watching videos, reading reviews, lurking on this forum. a buddy of mine called that a customer was at his shop with a model 3 (I live in a tourist city , but our population is less than 5k, so this is rare). I went over to the shop and got to ride in my first model 3 (LR RWD). It was very quick. Felt faster than it actually was by the numbers. The seats were fantastic, and his early car didn’t really exhibit any huge build quality flaws to me.

I then decided the LR RWD was the car I would order when the time came. Fast forward a month or two and I made the decision to buy. Tesla was no longer offering the LR RWD, so I asked about a stealth performance model...nope. So
I debated back and forth between the AWD and the AWDP. Mainly due to cost. I didn’t want the non performance AWD but I didn’t want to pay for the performance....

my wife said “oh ffs, get the one you want”. And I did, white on white performance model.

Honesty the reason I went electric was I hated stopping at gas stations on the way home from work. The reason I went Tesla is it’s the best option out there...the reason I went M3P is it’s fast.

The End.

Wow, I have a very similar situation where my 2015 BMW 535 diesel started having major issues around 70,000 miles. $4k to pass inspection this year? No thanks.
I had been looking at the S for a long time. I didn't like the tone this forum had on the build quality of the 3, but it seems like once production year #3 started this summer you guys all seemed quite a bit happier with the car.
I went to the showroom and sat in an S and loved it. The 3 was right next to it so I sat in it. It didn't feel very different. I test drove a 3 and put the deposit down an hour later.
I too hate going to gas stations and giving my money to the middle east. Charging up at home is my favorite part, but the car itself is unreal. I pinch myself every day. I'm thankful to have saved tens of thousands of dollars by going with the 3.

I started considering an electric car due to the fact I have a fun fast car (Lotus Elise) and an off-roader. My plan was to pick up a used Nissan Leaf, until I told the wife...she was about convinced I’d lost my mind and pointed out that the leaf is absurdly ugly. She had zero interest being seen in an ugly car.

I showed her a model 3 which is IMO the only non ugly electric car anywhere near a price I’m willing to pay. She didn’t hate it.

my wife said “oh ffs, get the one you want”. And I did, white on white performance model.

Your wife is awesome.