Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What convinced you to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's one from 2012

263429.jpg

Thanks Obama!

I wonder who started that whole 9/10 pricing at gas stations. Now everyone does it. Sort of how one ice cream manufacturer decided to shrink their half gallons to 1.5 quarts. Looks almost the same but has 25% less. Now they are all 1.5 quarts. Amazing.

I wonder who started that whole 9/10 pricing at gas stations. Now everyone does it. Sort of how one ice cream manufacturer decided to shrink their half gallons to 1.5 quarts. Looks almost the same but has 25% less. Now they are all 1.5 quarts. Amazing.
They do the same thing with canned food. Same size can, but they've reduced the amount of actual food and filled with water.

Cheaper Tesla insurance. Insurance played a big role in me going electric, most companies wanted to charge me way too much for EV insurance.

FSD. Gas and Maintenance costs. The fact that it is the car of the future and was getting rave reviews.

So, I've always owned gas cars. I used to work on my own cars and got tired of it, it was time for a new car, and the FOMO of FSD increasing and the autonomy day presentation made me order one after a couple of nice hazy IPAs. It was basically an online drunk purchase at this point.

I figured if I didn't like it, I can return it. Well, when I got it, the car LOOKED stunning. Then, I took it on a drive along the cost to be sure I wanted to keep it, used the super charging network, I was hooked. Nice Monterey drive would have easily cost me $50 in gas. About $20 in electricity felt great. Autopilot along highway 1 was amazing, I got to enjoy the coast like never before (it worked great but I was vigilant) .

And from that day I was SOLD. It is also the day I took my profile pic :).

Reactions: JordyJr12
A friend got one. Driving it, I realized what a scam we'd been dealt with for over a hundred years with these engine and chassis schemes of the ICE world- and they still have a rough time trying to make a worthwhile transmission, apparently.
With an EV, all that garbage is gone, and the continual repair/replace/replenishment duping of that world.
I got an inheritance, and suddenly could afford a Tesla; I went for a Performance 3. There are times I think it may be the best thing I've ever gotten.
Looking back on my extensive motorhead history, I feel like I was a Warner Bros cartoon character wearing a "SUCKER" wrapper.
It's amazing what we've done with IC engines, but with the performance and efficiency of electric motors, why did we bother?

A friend got one. Driving it, I realized what a scam we'd been dealt with for over a hundred years with these engine and chassis schemes of the ICE world- and they still have a rough time trying to make a worthwhile transmission, apparently.
With an EV, all that garbage is gone, and the continual repair/replace/replenishment duping of that world.
I got an inheritance, and suddenly could afford a Tesla; I went for a Performance 3. There are times I think it may be the best thing I've ever gotten.
Looking back on my extensive motorhead history, I feel like I was a Warner Bros cartoon character wearing a "SUCKER" wrapper.
It's amazing what we've done with IC engines, but with the performance and efficiency of electric motors, why did we bother?

Transmissions are terrible. The lack thereof is one of the underappreciated advantages of EVs. I have always hated the transmissions in my ICE cars (except the manuals but those were a PITA in traffic).

My previous car got killed by a 19 y.o with no insurance, so I needed a car quickly. I also knew I couldn't afford what I really wanted / was saving for, and it wasn't out yet anyway. (Rivian R1T)

So... I took a long weekend and drove every car I could think of under $45k, prioritizing manual transmission and hybrid/BEV vehicles first. (Every car that I didn't already know / try / own before) Seriously, like everything: used/new miatas, the other 6psd Mazdas, used Fiat 500e, BMW i3, new civic Si/R, both 6spd manual Accords & the older hybrid version, new corolla 6spd hatch, all the Camry versions, Acura ILX / TLX, Ranger 4x4, Mustang GT, Camaro SS, used C6 z06 etc., etc. The used ones were super depressing, because they were all still so damned expensive, and mostly were beat up / had high mileage. Honestly, if there was a low mileage Accord Coupe v6 6spd to be had in something other than black or red, I would have bought that instead of the Tesla. However, there were only a few of those that I could find in the whole country, and I wasn't going to fly somewhere like VA to buy a car and drive it back.

Not one vehicle drove nearly as well as the early production Model 3 I had driven back in 2018, and the ones that were close sacrificed something to get there. (e.g. comfort / features / reliability / efficiency) So I went to the fashion square Tesla store and drove the SR+ one more time to make sure I could live without the non-premium stereo and AWD, and then had the nice sales lady pick me a VIN for a blue SR+ from the truck headed here to AZ on the I10.

My only real regret is that I didn't do an LR, instead of the SR+. The (lack of) real world range is nearly a deal breaker for me.

Reactions: JordyJr12
For me it was Elon's tweet in February that the 35k version would finally be available. I had floated the idea once the first announcement for the car was made, but figured it was a pipe dream. Only 35k for a Tesla, that's crazy! Fortunately for me at the time of the tweet I was in the market for a new car, made that task very easy.

3 weeks later my car showed up, been pretty great so far.