Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What convinced you to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never having to buy gas again was a huge one for me, as well. My dad was a part of the Saturn EV1 launch 20 years ago when I was still a kid. Watching everything that happened to that car was brutal and the tech didn't have a chance to grow. I felt like I've been waiting for revenge against big oil for a while now. It's pretty amazing to see how much tesla has shifted the market in just 8-10 years.

Reactions: RScottyL
Never seen or tried a TM3, so I just ordered one based on the return policy.
Unfortunately, I got a car with tons of faults, and I couldn't get a hold of Tesla within the return policy period so I've been stuck with a $50k car which needs a warranty service every month.

tl;dr: Tesla tricked me into buying one.

I'm insane is mostly the reason looking back on why. I was one of the first day reservers. I had a Leaf and that was pretty much proof of concept for me. I completely rolled the dice on the M3 being a good car. I just wanted something with a lot more range than my Leaf had. When I finally received my LR Rwd it was, far, far, better than I had imagined.

Was deciding between a new 992-gen 911 or a Tesla. Then (as a new arrival in your beautiful country), discovered BC’s somewhat punitive new car tax regime and put the the 992 on the back-burner for now (second hand or some sort of lease next year FTW). Seriously, you do not want people to drive nice cars here, do you? Test drive sealed it for me - in fact, one hairpin corner on the way up Cypress Mountain would have been enough on its own, but I was laughing from the first pull up Taylor Way.

Reactions: JordyJr12
I've always wanted a Tesla since the Roadster and Model S came out. My old boss was one of the first people to get a Model S. I just could never spend that much on a car. Fast forward to a few months ago, I rode in a good friends Model 3 performance that he just got. I placed my order for one the same day.

I've got almost 4k miles on mine in less than 2 months, and I'm loving every minute. I can never go back to an ICE vehicle.

Was ready to buy a certified CT6 plug in to replace my ELR. Stopped to place deposit and a used 18 black Model 3 was sitting out front. Intrigued I sat in it and was impressed with the comfort. The car was being sold as a favor for the FI managers nephew who was in the military and had to move. Being a Cadillac dealer they couldn’t tell me anything about it so I had to go to Tesla. After speaking to the salesperson he shared the pricing for a new one was better then the used one, showed me features and set up a test drive, but I decided to wait and do some research. After a week I put down a deposit.

The three main things that sealed the deal was:

1. Test drive
2. Free paint, wheels, 2 year SC
3. My 12 year old son was over the moon when he found out I was considering a Tesla!

LR AWD

I got tired of paying for gas and maintenance cost associated with my previous ICE vehicle. I've watched the Model 3 reveal and it caught my attention and saw all the amazing tech the car had with promise of full autonomous driving with the hardware.

I never test drove the model 3 but did drive a friends Model S to get a few for the instant torque, driving an electric vehicle and regen braking. Placed my deposit and reservation in late 2017 and took delivery in summer 2018.

I wanted something cool and different. Had a buddy who took delivery of an LR and he loved it. I was really close to ordering a BMW M3 because I didn't think the P cars would be released until 2019. Fortunately I got the order email before pulling the trigger and got my car in August 2018. Still quite happy. At delivery I had never sat in, let alone driven a Tesla.

I’d been following Tesla for years. We got to sit in a Roadster back about 2009, and heard talk from a Tesla rep about the forthcoming sedan (now known as Model S, of course). And I’ve been wanting an electric car for maybe 3 decades. I was waiting for the right combination of viability, technology and range.

When Model 3 was revealed, that was it. It was a price we could afford. The tech was so, well, so Tesla. The battery had much better than commuter range, supported by the Supercharger network for even more range. And I believe in the vision.

27000 miles later, no regrets!

Had NO intention of buying a Tesla. Our son was obsessed with them due to YouTube videos so one day we were near the dealership and took him in to look around. They offered to take him (us) on a test drive and we were instantly hooked. Got a (barely) used 2019 LR AWD 3 after patiently waiting about 6 months for the right one to show up in used inventory.

I was intrigued by the original Roadster but turned-off by the Top Gear review. I was a petrol head and bought-into the negative hype. Then came the Model S which I thought was amazing in many was. When it won Motor Trend car of the year, I decided to test drive one. At the time I was drive a V8 Pontiac G8 which was a powerful car. The S60 had better acceleration. Even though the S60 was twice the price what I have ever paid for a car, I did the math and realized it was still reasonable once I considered the total cost of ownership. We have a Model 3 now but it is our 4th EV since 2014. (S, X, i3 & 3)

As many anecdotes above show, test drives are very helpful - that's why I spend a lot of my time giving rides to ICE drivers. However, while I love driving Teslas, test drives haven't influenced any of my purchases.

I have never liked gas, for several reasons - environmental, national security, maintenance, and cost+fluctuations. I have always purchased cars with fuel usage as a primary criteria, and I have often used alternatives (bus, bike, walk, carpool, telecommute, etc).

For my first EV (a 2003 RAV4-EV), what convinced me to buy was my usual desire to avoid gas, plus I was tired of the ICE coming on in our Prius that I had converted to a PHEV. I had never seen a BEV before (in fact I bought this one sight unseen and had it shipped) and didn't think it would be a lot of fun, but I was willing to do it to use less gas.

For my first Tesla (a Roadster), I had long been interested because the RAV4 showed us that EVs are really nice and the Roadster was cool, actually available for sale and had a lot of range (not important for our first BEV, but really important when selling our last ICE). But I didn't buy one because of the price...until I read the "Secret Master Plan" in 2009. I had been tracking possible EVs for a long time, and Tesla seemed to be the only company that seemed serious about it. I wanted to help get them to where they could build cars like the Model 3.

For my first Model 3 (I traded in a Model S for it) it was the lower price and smaller size than earlier Teslas that attracted me. I prefer to drive and park smaller cars. (And pay less when I can! That said, my wife still has her X, so I still have the cargo capacity available when I need it)

Last edited:
I was intrigued by the original Roadster but turned-off by the Top Gear review.

When I first got my Roadster, reactions from people that saw it were all positive - at worst, just surprise that electric cars were possible. As the "range anxiety" media storm had not yet started, I rarely got questions about range or charging - the questions were almost always about whether it was freeway capable, and occasionally whether it was safe in an accident.

For a few years after the Top Gear review, I occasionally got people yelling some epithet about my car as I drove past. Once in a parking lot, a guy asked me how far I could drive. I told him the day before I'd driven about 180 miles to visit my son and still had some left, and he started yelling that I was lying and he knew they could really only go 55 miles. He was furious with me.

I don't buy Top Gear's excuse (the one that enabled them to "win" Tesla's lawsuit) that they are an "entertainment show" and "nobody will take their claims seriously". Lying is wrong, even if for "entertainment". Obviously some people did take it seriously...and that has lowered people's willingness to buy one. Which brings us back to why test drives are so important.

Last edited: