Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What could be causing this energy usage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received PTO this week and being a nerd I love to analyze the data I’m getting. I’m located in Phoenix.

I just have a few days of data but I’m trying to comprehend energy usage the last 2 days compared to the first two. It seems that over the last 2 days I have this weird dome shaped usage curve that seems to increase and decrease with production that I didn’t have the first couple days. I know the spikes are related to my AC kicking on and off. The really large spikes are my car charging and AC use. Otherwise my house remains pretty constant temp. We were home all 4 days. My wife only used the electric oven once. The cooktop is gas and so is the water heater. I even unplugged the car to make sure it wasn’t the issue. What could be causing that constant usage that wasn’t there the two other days? The bottom graph is AC usage.

Link to graphs

Last edited by a moderator:
I can’t read the text on your graph and the link doesn’t take me to the photo, but does your electric utility provide their own energy usage graph that you can look at? If you could check hourly usage for several days before you received PTO, you could see if the current usage is unusual. Hard to judge that with just a few days of data.

In my home, the thing that makes the biggest impact on energy usage is charging our cars.

Try this link or see below as the forum tells me my image is too large to attach. 26-D1782-E-099-E-4-AC5-A199-9-F097-BA08-EF7

AC and charging is largest impact for me too but I excluded that as I unplugged the car and my AC usage curve doesn’t match the high usage in the Tesla app. It’s really odd that the usage creases and decreases along a similar curve as my production curve.

I did look at my utility usage prior and don’t see anything similar over the last month prior to going solar.

I have the same usage curve today as if my baseline energy usage is increasing with production.

26-D1782-E-099-E-4-AC5-A199-9-F097-BA08-EF7.jpg

I just received PTO this week and being a nerd I love to analyze the data I’m getting. I’m located in Phoenix.

I just have a few days of data but I’m trying to comprehend energy usage the last 2 days compared to the first two. It seems that over the last 2 days I have this weird dome shaped usage curve that seems to increase and decrease with production that I didn’t have the first couple days. I know the spikes are related to my AC kicking on and off. The really large spikes are my car charging and AC use. Otherwise my house remains pretty constant temp. We were home all 4 days. My wife only used the electric oven once. The cooktop is gas and so is the water heater. I even unplugged the car to make sure it wasn’t the issue. What could be causing that constant usage that wasn’t there the two other days? The bottom graph is AC usage.

Link to graphs

How are you able to get multiple energy graphs overlayed? I can't do this anymore with the new app. I can only select one energy component at a time.

How are you able to get multiple energy graphs overlayed? I can't do this anymore with the new app. I can only select one energy component at a time.
There is a little icon on the top right next to “day” you can tap on at the top and it changes to the overlay view.

Attachments

• BE47AED4-6659-4066-83D0-EC3EF69B17AA.jpeg
    BE47AED4-6659-4066-83D0-EC3EF69B17AA.jpeg
    318.2 KB · Views: 58
I can’t read the text on your graph and the link doesn’t take me to the photo, but does your electric utility provide their own energy usage graph that you can look at? If you could check hourly usage for several days before you received PTO, you could see if the current usage is unusual. Hard to judge that with just a few days of data.

In my home, the thing that makes the biggest impact on energy usage is charging our cars.
Yes. Most people don't realize how much energy usage is the cars. Our house uses about 13 kwh per day (small house) and the cars, a Model S and a Model 3, can use many times that, maybe ten times that amount depending on where we went that day.

My Power Walls give me pretty graphs that show my usages, outputs and inputs of all my usages and generations which seems very helpful.

I believe I found the answer. I came across this post with a user also complaining about innacurate home usage reports which led me to this thread which basically says its a neurio device issue reporting inaccurate consumption numbers. Per @stephen503 "when solar > ACTUAL home usage (so, sending to grid), half of the grid number is going to home usage."

I'm now reading through the thread but I'm 99% sure this is my issue.

I believe I found the answer. I came across this post with a user also complaining about innacurate home usage reports which led me to this thread which basically says its a neurio device issue reporting inaccurate consumption numbers. Per @stephen503 "when solar > ACTUAL home usage (so, sending to grid), half of the grid number is going to home usage."

I'm now reading through the thread but I'm 99% sure this is my issue.
it has been a very common problem posted for new installs. Mine was working right after install, but they had to make some changes after inspection and reversed the CTs. Took me 2 weeks to convince them (3rd party installer) it was wrong

I had some electrical work done today. A few of my breakers were turned off and turned on. This completely threw off the gateway/app somehow. Said I was drawing 7kw/h when really I was drawing less than 1kw/h. At 11AM I am usually generating over 6kw/h on a sunny day and the panels were only hitting 0.5kw/h. I freaked out and I thought the electrician did something wrong.

I reset both battery and the gateway via breaker and it seemed to come back to normal.

Except that it does nothing for me but change the color of the graphs but I can still only select a single graph at at a time. No overlays.
Hmm I'm not certain as I've never used the old app? On my post I just took screenshots and stitched them together in a photo app. The colors seem to overlay generation and usage but thats it.

Except that it does nothing for me but change the color of the graphs but I can still only select a single graph at at a time. No overlays.

That's correct. The new app doesn't let you see more than one component on the graph at one time. What the new "overlay" view shows is how the power for the selected component was utilized. For example, if you're looking at solar, the different colors show how much of the solar production went to the home (blue), Powerwalls (green), and grid (grey).

I liked the composite view in the previous version of the app, but I'm getting used to the new one.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
Just confirming the fix found in the other thread is working. Basically my neurio was using CT 1 and 2. I changed it to CT 1 and 4 and reversed one of the clamps (They are directional) on one of the main lines and so far its is showing normal usage and not counting half my generation as usage. I did let my Tesla installer know and he said he would let design and engineering know but inevitably this will happen to other people.

• Informative
Reactions: MCNE and aesculus
Just confirming the fix found in the other thread is working. Basically my neurio was using CT 1 and 2. I changed it to CT 1 and 4 and reversed one of the clamps (They are directional) on one of the main lines and so far its is showing normal usage and not counting half my generation as usage. I did let my Tesla installer know and he said he would let design and engineering know but inevitably this will happen to other people.
This happened to me after the fact when I added solar to a former load circuit. That circuit rarely had a load on it so that part was not missed. But it did totally confuse the system and caused my house load to go flat whenever solar was greater than the load. The fix was to add another CT on the solar for the same circuit. That fixed it. Not certain why it did not confuse it the other way but apparently Tesla has some bit of AI in their SW to discard obvious anomalies.

We tested evert permutation of circuits on and off and solar on and off and it all added up correctly so "knock on wood" my system is correct now (until some Tesla SW engineer 'fixes' some related bug).