Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What could Tesla give SR+ buyers to differentiate it from the SR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd much rather have $6300 worth of upgrades than ask for a refund. As it stands, the SR and SR+ are identical in every way.

SR M3s already delivered are SR+ (stock, unchanged, not downgraded at all), but Elon says they will have hobbled front seat heating, fog lights, and a couple of tweeters turned off, oh and 20 miles that mean nothing other than you can now charge to 100%.

I'm wondering if there are any upgrades worth it to not downgrade, that would cost Tesla less?

How about: (these are all and/or ideas).

Unlock the sound system more, and offer an subwoofer for purchase.

Maps with traffic data and satellite view.

Music streaming and/or internet connectivity for browsing.

A big discount on FSD. Since I paid $6300 for heated front seats, lights and 2 tweeters, I'm thinking $1000 would be a fair deal for those with AP already.

Unlock the heated rear seats.

Unlock some more range, if it turns out to have the MR battery.

Some damn mats!! I already purchased, but it's a tiny, tiny offering that would go along way for others. SR got partial premium - no different to SR+ / both no mats.

Any other ideas? If the SR and SR+ are the same car, then it's not at all worth keeping the SR+ IMO.

I'd much rather have $6300 worth of upgrades than ask for a refund. As it stands, the SR and SR+ are identical in every way.

SR M3s already delivered are SR+ (stock, unchanged, not downgraded at all), but Elon says they will have hobbled front seat heating, fog lights, and a couple of tweeters turned off, oh and 20 miles that mean nothing other than you can now charge to 100%.

I'm wondering if there are any upgrades worth it to not downgrade, that would cost Tesla less?

A big discount on FSD. Since I paid $6300 for heated front seats, lights and 2 tweeters, I'm thinking $1000 would be a fair deal for those with AP already.

Some damn mats!! I already purchased, but it's a tiny, tiny offering that would go along way for others. SR got partial premium - no different to SR+ / both no mats.

Any other ideas? If the SR and SR+ are the same car, then it's not at all worth keeping the SR+ IMO.
The garage door opener wouldn't hurt.

Reactions: Legen---dary
Can you explain how you're coming up with a $6,300 difference?

I could break it down for you exactly if you want. The short version is:
Had I purchased an SR with AP, the day I purchased an SR+ with AP, the price difference would be just under $6300.
That includes the price difference of the car and the tax. It's the exact same car. If you've bought an SR, then the vehicle ID screen shows you have an SR+. The price I'm quoting is just before they also decided to integrate AP (about 10 days after I picked up my SR+).

I'm trying to think of ways to save Tesla money and simultaneously offer SR+ owners something to feel good about, knowing they really do have a different car, and not just a pricey SR.

They're Canadian (for starters), but that still brings it down to $4,500 difference or so. Maybe they're incorrectly assuming that AP is free for the SR?

------------------------------------------------------------

SR Model 3. Black interior/exterior, base wheels, AP added.

Base cost plus AP plus delivery times tax minus rebate

(($47,600 + $4000 + $1300) x 1.12) - $5000 = $52,900

---------------------------------------------------------

SR+ Model 3. Black interior/exterior, base wheels, AP added.

Base cost plus AP plus delivery times tax (2% luxury taxes when >$56,000) minus rebate

(($51,000 + $4000 + $1300) x 1.14) - $5000 = $59,182

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Price difference: $59,182 - $ 52,900 = $6,282

------------------------------------------------------------

SR Model 3. Black interior/exterior, base wheels, AP added.

Base cost plus AP plus delivery times tax minus rebate

(($47,600 + $4000 + $1300) x 1.12) - $5000 = $52,900

---------------------------------------------------------

SR+ Model 3. Black interior/exterior, base wheels, AP added.

Base cost plus AP plus delivery times tax (2% luxury taxes when >$56,000) minus rebate

(($51,000 + $4000 + $1300) x 1.14) - $5000 = $59,182

Price difference: $59,182 - $ 52,900 = $6,282

I stand corrected about your assumptions! On Tesla's side, however, I see a $3,400 difference between SR+ and SR. The tax isn't really their fault. I live 10 miles from a state that charges 0% sales tax on EVs, meanwhile my state has a convoluted rebate that ran out of funding... That, and Tesla classed the SR+ as >3,700 lbs on my registration, so I'll be paying an extra $30 every year for the life of the vehicle.

Personally, I'm waiting until after the Autonomy day to see what happens. Tesla's software engineers don't even seem to have developed the software lock for the SR yet, so could very well add some software features to the SR+ at the same time.

Confused OP are you saying because the SR+ isn't as differentiated as it was originally planned compared to the SR, you don't think you want you SR+ any more? Things you mentioned sound like you might rather pay more and have gotten the MR which is no longer being made. Could have also bought the LR AWD version for more money as well to get the features you mentioned. But then again MR and LR AWD owners might feel your SR+ should be more diffentiated from them.

You can play with figures all the time with changing prices over time but I'm more focused on what each car has as features over the other model at the time of purchase. I understand that they ended up deciding not to produce the fabic seats for the SR version. Sat in the MS ones during a loaner and really though they were nice. To me that's kind of the biggest visible item that didn't go into the cars that would differentiate them. Not sure why you think Tesla needs to give SR+ owners something more over SR owners. I think it's great Tesla kept the SR line looking like the LR AWD or P3D variations for the most part. The 20 range miles between the two for me would be like one errand more in the SR+ and just for that worth the extra dollars.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMWM3toTM3
Nothing should be given. SR+ people got the package they paid for. If freebies are given what about LR RWD who actually paid full package prices and didn't get their "something special." Nobody forced anyone to buy a Tesla, that was the buyers choice. Just because they shifted around a limited package afterwards does not mean someone is entitled to something for free. This needs to end. SR+ buyers bought after the huge price cuts and knew well ahead that Tesla makes erratic pricing and package changes. The $49k LR RWD dropped to $43k. The original buyers paid $5k for PUP package. You can't give out unlocked speakers etc without pissing off another group.

Nothing should be given. SR+ people got the package they paid for. If freebies are given what about LR RWD who actually paid full package prices and didn't get their "something special." Nobody forced anyone to buy a Tesla, that was the buyers choice. Just because they shifted around a limited package afterwards does not mean someone is entitled to something for free. This needs to end. SR+ buyers bought after the huge price cuts and knew well ahead that Tesla makes erratic pricing and package changes. The $49k LR RWD dropped to $43k. The original buyers paid $5k for PUP package. You can't give out unlocked speakers etc without pissing off another group.

Well said. SR+ buyers didn't get anything less than what was promised. This entitled way of thinking needs to end. All it does is upset the past buyers because they were hurt by Tesla's erratic changes much more. Think about the AP2 buyers who are now told they can't get FSD, or those who bought FSD before a feature was released and we're told prices wouldn't decrease but that was false. Or AP1 to AP2 transition buyers. Or the original LR RWD buyers who were told 9k was upgrade battery price and 5k was PUP price but now everyone gets the same interior materials free. My 2018 X lost $25k and my 3 lost $8k in additional depreciation due to price cuts that's without regular wear and tear and use depreciation. These posts complaining about people buying SR+ and deserving more just makes past owners more upset because they were hit way harder financially. Enjoy the cars and please know that next year your car almost certainly will be much cheaper.

Well said. SR+ buyers didn't get anything less than what was promised. This entitled way of thinking needs to end. All it does is upset the past buyers because they were hurt by Tesla's erratic changes much more. Think about the AP2 buyers who are now told they can't get FSD, or those who bought FSD before a feature was released and we're told prices wouldn't decrease but that was false. Or AP1 to AP2 transition buyers. Or the original LR RWD buyers who were told 9k was upgrade battery price and 5k was PUP price but now everyone gets the same interior materials free. My 2018 X lost $25k and my 3 lost $8k in additional depreciation due to price cuts that's without regular wear and tear and use depreciation. These posts complaining about people buying SR+ and deserving more just makes past owners more upset because they were hit way harder financially. Enjoy the cars and please know that next year your car almost certainly will be much cheaper.

I hear ya, but those examples are not relevant unfortunately. That does suck either way. Almost as soon as I picked up the SR+, they dropped the SR+ plus AP by $1300 as well. I'm not even including that as it would fit in line with what you're saying. That's not what I'm complaining about / trying to solve.

There wasn't an SR+ only, then an SR+ that suddenly had more features for less.

The point is *had I purchased an SR, the same day (as I could have) as purchasing the SR+, I'd have the same car now*.

The same exact car. The same ID on the screen. The same everything.

My point here is to find a way not to apply for a refund. I'd much rather Tesla keep the money, but at least give people who paid so much more for an identical car something for it.

I hear ya, but those examples are not relevant unfortunately. That does suck either way. Almost as soon as I picked up the SR+, they dropped the SR+ plus AP by $1300 as well. I'm not even including that as it would fit in line with what you're saying. That's not what I'm complaining about / trying to solve.

There wasn't an SR+ only, then an SR+ that suddenly had more features for less.

The point is *had I purchased an SR, the same day (as I could have) as purchasing the SR+, I'd have the same car now*.

The same exact car. The same ID on the screen. The same everything.

My point here is to find a way not to apply for a refund. I'd much rather Tesla keep the money, but at least give people who paid so much more for an identical car something for it.

But they are going to take features away on the SR, so yours will be different very soon. Think of it like the AP trials, people get it for 30 days and can buy it after the trial of they choose. People with SR will lose their ability to use fog light, range and couple other little things after their "trial" is up. Tesla does things frequently on the fly, once they figure out how to disable things they will. Again this SR is likely going to be short lived, like the S 40 model and I bet majority of the public has not clue about it because the SR isn't even on the main website to order.

I’ve said this elsewhere, but I’ll also say it here...and before I get started, know that I love my car.

You shouldn’t feel duped, you were duped...and so was I!

But people on this forum will say “you got what you paid for and liked it then, stop complaining about it”, when in all reality, we bought the SR+ because of how much better it was than the SR when they marketed it to us...now SR folks are getting many free upgrades since they’re getting our car with a software limited battery.

What really pisses me off is it seemed like we (existing SR+ owners) could get a partial refund and downgrade to the SR based on the blog post...it appears Tesla walked that back too.

I’m fine with my car, but I’m really pissed that’s Tesla scammed me into an SR+ when in all reality I would have been fine with the SR that’s available for sale right now.

I’m sure I’ll get downvoted to hell for this post though.

I’ve said this elsewhere, but I’ll also say it here...and before I get started, know that I love my car.

You shouldn’t feel duped, you were duped...and so was I!

But people on this forum will say “you got what you paid for and liked it then, stop complaining about it”, when in all reality, we bought the SR+ because of how much better it was than the SR when they marketed it to us...now SR folks are getting many free upgrades since they’re getting our car with a software limited battery.

What really pisses me off is it seemed like we (existing SR+ owners) could get a partial refund and downgrade to the SR based on the blog post...it appears Tesla walked that back too.

I’m fine with my car, but I’m really pissed that’s Tesla scammed me into an SR+ when in all reality I would have been fine with the SR that’s available for sale right now.

I’m sure I’ll get downvoted to hell for this post though.

Finally, some sanity. We were scanned, big time. I bought the SR+ due to the interior, that's it. Otherwise the SR would have been fine.
I was softening up to the idea of asking for some extra features to make up for the lies, but if they're walking back the refund idea then f-it, I'll follow through on a lawsuit.