TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What dash trim did you get with "Premium Interior and Lighting" pack?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by thegruf, Dec 29, 2015.

1. thegruf

thegruf Member

When I order this I expected to get the alcantara inserts on the dash.

During the lead time for delivery I now understand the alcantara dash inserts were deleted and nappa (smooth leather) leather replaced it roughly in July 2015, though I was never informed of this.
    I have actually ended up with the the textured leather on the upper part of the dash and nappa on the lower parts, which tbh I think looks very poor, actually it looks wrong.

For those of you with recent cars with the Premium pack, what date of manufacure and what did you get?

1. Alcantara inserts
    2. Nappa (smooth leather) on lower part of dash only
    3. Nappa on upper and lower parts of the dash.

2. cytranic

cytranic Member

My car was delivered July 20th and i got the Alcantara on the dash

3. msnow

msnow Active Member

Mine was delivered 9/15 and I have Alcantara on the dash.

4. Jool

Jool Member

My car was delivered at the end of August and I have Alcantara on my dashboard as well.

5. Caligula

Caligula Member

Somewhat related... is it possible to retrofit the interior accent lighting in a MS that didn't come with the option initially?

6. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Any chance this could be difference between US-spec (or North American) cars and UK-spec (or other countries)? It was always my understanding that the premium interior upgrade would have the alcantara on the dash. I like and prefer the contrast between the two different material types. Would be a shame if they changed that.

7. green1

green1 Active Member

physically? yes, and it's relatively simple as the wiring is all there, they just need to place the bulbs and enable it in software.

Will they do it? That depends greatly on your particular service centre. They'll probably charge an arm and a leg for it too.

8. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

My premium pkg equipped S85 was delivered in Dec 2014 with alcantara dash inserts.

9. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

What exactly is a "Dash Insert"?

In the Premium Interior Option the part of the dashboard closest to the driver and passenger is covered in black Alcantara.
    Is this what you are calling a "Dash Insert"?

Or is the Dash Insert something totally different?

A picture of a Dash Insert would be helpful I recon.

The OP is in the UK, where perhaps Tesla Options and certainly terminology is different than in the US.
    I understand a Driver's Front Quarter Panel (front left fender) is called a "Front Wing" in the UK which is terminology left over from the carriage days.

10. BertL

BertL Active Member

My S90D was built mid-September 2015, delivered October 5th, with both the Premium and Lighting Package with black Alcantara headliner. I received black Alcantara dash inserts as shown in my photo in THIS POST #18 of your other similar subject thread ;)

11. thegruf

thegruf Member

Thanks BertL for the pic wihcich should answer ArtInCt
    The other thread covered a few other things which is why I thought I would separate this aspect out, especially after it was stated that the Alcantara insert was discontinued in June.

So far it seems that everyone has the alcantara insert and not full Nappa.
    Your Sept build suggests the alcantara discontinuation might be a red herring, though it certainly is no longer referred to on the website.

Maybe somebody can chime in with a really recent build.

12. JPP

JPP Active Member

My wife's June 2015 S70D ordered with premium package...would have come with Alcantara dash but we deleted and were allowed to option the leather dash (she did not like the look of the Alcantara on the dash).

13. thegruf

thegruf Member

Just bump this - trying to find out if any recent new owners with the Premium package have not had Alcantara inserts on the top of the dash?

14. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

May 2015 build date with Alcantara inserts on the top of the dash.

15. Sparktz

Sparktz Member

Took my delivery on 12/22/2015 (with premium lighting package), it has the Alcantara/leather on the dash like the link posted by BertL on the first page.

16. f-stop

f-stop Member

My 70D with premium interior & lighting option delivered 12/2/2015 does have the Alcantara dash inserts

17. thegruf

thegruf Member

thanks guys. This is kinda confirming that I have a build error on mine :(
    The rest of the Premium option os present, just the incorrect dash top.

Will have to talk to the SC about this.

Have no idea if it is interchangeable.
    If it involves removing the entire dash from the car would not be entirely sure I would want them to do this as inevitably will end up with a load of creaks and rattles.

18. BertL

BertL Active Member

Hopefully you are presented with the option, so the decision can then be yours to make. Good luck.

19. Firewired

Firewired Member

I was surprised that the entire top of the dash is one piece and is affixed with clips all around. My initial dash had a minor error at delivery and they ordered another one to replace it. I was similarly hesitant at first about messing with it. They just have to be careful when they are installing it that the center of the dash lacks support or rigidity in the center that it doesn't bend. Most common error per the tech.

20. msnow

msnow Active Member

I might have this wrong but didn't you say in another thread that when you ordered in April? Alcantara/leather dash wasn't a part of the premium interior?