Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What dashcam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DOD RC500S. Best low light quality of any dashcam on the market. Unstable now, but a firmware update will fix it. Testing it on my Roadster.

I have a Blackvue DR-650GW-2CH in my TMS which is stable, but poor video quality.

According to the user manual of the Thinkware F-770-2CH it only last 48 hours in parking mode. This dashcam will not make sense if you leave your vehicle for longer period of time.

Think are F800 is due to come out this summer. Also Blackvue has a more cost friendly model coming out really soon as well. It doesn't have GPS but looks like the there are plans to upgrade the loveable DR650S/WG to include 1080p for front and rear. This one does have GPS.

FYI Blackvue just announced a new 2ch dashcam with 1080p front and rear, the DR490-2CH. Looks to be about same size and form factor as the 650-series

GPS is now an optional dongle so maybe that would solve the GPS reception some of us have with the shielded windshield in the Model S

DR490-2CH - Simple Dual Full HD Dashcam by BlackVue™

Can't say if this new model is any good as I've never seen it, I just found out about it an an email from Pittasoft this morning. I have the DR650GW-2CH in my Model S.

FYI Blackvue just announced a new 2ch dashcam with 1080p front and rear, the DR490-2CH. Looks to be about same size and form factor as the 650-series

GPS is now an optional dongle so maybe that would solve the GPS reception some of us have with the shielded windshield in the Model S

Can't say if this new model is any good as I've never seen it, I just found out about it an an email from Pittasoft this morning. I have the DR650GW-2CH in my Model S.
I just sent Blackvue an email
I have a 560s dual channel I ordered and will receive next week
My big hesitation was the 720p rear camera. So trying to find out if they will have any upgraded rear cameras path for me

I purchased 650 and it has to be delivered next week. I am thinking about 490 since both cameras are full HD and bitrate is higher /10/5 mbits for 650 and 11/11 for 490 front/rear/

It is listed as in stock on blackview site and can be purchased - DR490-2CH - BlackVue

I am thinking to pull the trigger on 490. I can always sell whichever I don't install

I just installed a couple of the A119 on Saturday following TeslaTap's guide. I got the A119 mainly for the resolution and I just thought it was easier to run the power for each separately instead of homerunning from front to rear. For power points my early 2014 MS didn't have the intrusion module connector so I got an OBDII charging connector for the front. For the rear, I just tapped into the liftgate module connector which was very easy to get to.

Reactions: Akikiki

Anyone know if this is suppose to be a replacement for the 650 series? Interesting but if you want the slender form factor of the 650 model on your windshield, are you sacrificing internal gps in the unit for 1080 on both cameras? I read their descriptions and sounds like maybe that's the case. No mention of internal GPS like the 650 has; and looking at the big dongle above the slender front camera in their info sheet, I can't see how that is preferable for many of us. They show their optional external dongle positioned in the dotted windshield area and I though that was an area you don't want to put things. Confused. I also noticed the 650 uses mp4 compression and the 490 uses avi. The night vision is only on the front camera not the back, so if you get hit from behind while driving or parked still could be unable to see a plate. Curious to show the product page to my husband and see what he thinks.

BTW we updated our 650S-2ch the other day. Our clock setting was fine before and now is off by 10s of minutes. Hubby did what they suggested in the help center for the clock and it didn't work.

You can write to Pittasoft and they will tell you. No, its not a replacement for the 650 series. The 650 was updated with the S just a few months ago. The 490 series has been around a while. Its a single and a dual without GPS. That's its purpose.

Thanks for the clarification on the 490 series. I don't think we'd buy a model without built in GPS so that helped. We bought our 650s in March and it was my understanding they came out with it in June 2016, so just over a year old. With so many dash cams out there with much better low light and better resolution for the rear we are hoping there will be an improved version in the works. The continuous coverage of video it provides hopefully won't change with any updates.

I've had Blackvue for 3+ years. I really liked how it performed, especially three months ago. This video system proved its worth, by allowing me to prove that my accident was not my fault. It clearly showed that the driver who rear ended me was at fault. She claimed she was rear ended which forced her in to rear ending me. It was he said, she said situation. The video proved she was lying.

View from the front camera:

View from the rear camera:

• Informative
Reactions: Lu Ann
Received yesterday my 490 with external gps. Tested it and it works fine. Will install it today if I can find time for it and will report. The GPS locks signal behind the windshield of my 2014 S85 AP1
Please let us know how the quality is for night and day driving. Considering getting the 490 over the 650S. I read the new Sony Starvis camera is better than the old one in the 650S.