Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what date/vin was LTE hardware introduced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our inventory 2015 P85D VIN 68XXX supposedly built March 2015 (we took delivery July 2015) didn't come with 4G LTE either. We considered upgrading but decided to see if 3G would bother us and pay $500 for the 4G LTE upgrade and 12 months later it hasn't... Plus 4G LTE will probably be "vintage" soon in which case we hope to upgrade to 5G or whatever will replace it.

That VIN should have it. Mine is 103xxx and has it.

That's really interesting - thanks.
Within 2000 of my VIN.
I can't see Tesla switching forwards and backwards between 3G and 4G.

Need to follow this up with Tesla, am I a bit sore about it as when my vehicle was delayed, they specifically confirmed it had 4G when I asked and was a particular factor in my sticking with the vehicle and not cancelling/reordering a new one (which would also have got me a 90D :( ). Of course this was only verbal at the time so I am unable to prove it now.

My car was bult last May '15 and delivered June '15 it shipped with 3G and not LTE. I was only mildly disappointed at the time.

I have tethered my Model S to my AT&T LTE smartphone and I found little improvement in data speeds. Google maps loads only *slightly* faster.

Overall I would say it its not worth the $500 upgrade fee.