Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What defects have you found at/after delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my car in late march, i had read of the paint issues people were having, so i went to delivery with that in mind. I even asked the DA if the car was inspected and perfect, he said oh yes we wouldn't assign you a VIN if the car wasn't ready.

When i check the car out, immediately the driver door has a big chunk taken out of the paint, about 1.25" long and 1/4"tall its all the way down to bare metal and already has surface rust. just below that chunk the rocker panel has deep scratches. the passenger rocker had what looked like someone leaned on wet paint and both doors had surface scratches around the door handles. I tried to deny delivery but was excited to get the car and the DA assured Tesla would sort it out for free. the DA took photos and once again assured me it would be handled in a timely manor.

The next morning i said i want to return the car as i knew it was gonna be a pain to deal with and didnt want the hassle. they said ok bring it back, you'll have to re-order a new car and the wait could be 2 weeks, first car only took 23hrs to get. i said thats fine give me my trade in back as i need a car until the new one shows up. they said sorry your trade in is gone and your on your own until the new tesla arrives. basically made it impossible for me to return the car. remember it was 5pm when i took delivery, i wanted to return at 9am the next morning and was told no way i could have my trade in back. They said a due bill would be created within 24-48 hrs. So i waited for someone to call me about sorting the issue out, 5 days go by and that never happens. I text the DA, and he says i need photos and descriptions of paint damage. (they took pix at delivery) i sent pix and again waited for 5 days no call no email nothing. So i made my own appt at the local service center, which the earliest was 3 weeks away. when i take it in and describe what happened the SA looked at me like i had 4 heads and said he's sort it out. 3 days later he says he is waiting on Freemont to approve the work. I say why, it was documented at delivery and he says there is no due bill for the work. 3 more days go by and he cant get it approved to be fixed, so i text the DA, he says the due bill was created a month ago, and the SA cant find it because they got a new computer system. and the due bill is in the old system. So i goto the SC and explain whats up, he finds the original due bill which is only for the driver side, we email the DA and explain it needs to be for both sides of the car, they make another due bill and hopefully the car is going to be done in a few days. At delivery, at the SC and by the manager at the SC i was told they are under staffed and overworked. Love my car hate the way Tesla is currently running thingsView attachment 404113View attachment 404113 View attachment 404114View attachment 404115 View attachment 404116View attachment 404117

That's just wrong. How can anyone from TESLA miss that? I'm beginning to think there are people (TESLA Employees, not all) that don't care and shrug their shoulders and say, "yeah, the buyer wont notice this." I'm also thinking where is quality control on this??

Reactions: Federico
That's just wrong. How can anyone from TESLA miss that? I'm beginning to think there are people (TESLA Employees, not all) that don't care and shrug their shoulders and say, "yeah, the buyer wont notice this." I'm also thinking where is quality control on this??

I honestly believe the employees are pissed, numerous have complained to me they are doing way more work dealing with the volume the Model 3 has created and no new hires. It wouldn't surprise me if they are not capable of caring when they are overworked. The scratches on my car look like they were done after it left the factory, either by demo drivers or someone bought and returned within their 7 day period. the fact that it was put in the list of available cars is just Tesla trying to get the numbers up. I ordered on wed. at 5pm and took delivery at 4pm the next day. I should've denied delivery but was too excited to get in and drive. At least Tesla is making it right, just a pain in the ass like i expected it to be. It looks like this now! love this car, hate the current Tesla ways.
IMG_5896-Edit.jpg

Reserved on Friday, 2 May and received an email for a 3 May delivery at the Marina Del Ray delivery center for a new M3 RWD +. Quality is good except the Autopilot doesn’t work and the camera calibration remains at 0% after 100 miles. As a result, no AP features work to include cruise or basic lane departure warning, et al.. Tried both hard and soft resets, complete power off and all the other user fixes but nothing brings the AP on line. Delivery center is closed until Tuesday. Tried a walk-in to the local service center where they said it isn’t a safety related issue so they’ll get back because no techs work on the weekend. First appointment available for repair is 2 weeks out min. Would have been better to avoid needless driving around hoping to get the AP working. If it’s a fairly common software issue then it’s a little frustrating not to have access to help. On the other hand, if it’s a camera alignment issue, potentially a QA problem leaving the factory. Recommend driving a few miles before accepting delivery to make sure the camera and sensors are working. Hopefully it’s an easy OTA fix once service department is available.

• Informative
Reactions: bshap73
I have a friend that I was helping out to take delivery of an SR this week. The car was sold as a demo car with 600 miles on it. They gave him a mileage adjustment of .72/mile, which came out to a $440 discount.

When we got to the delivery center the first thing I did was check the odometer. The car had over 1,000 miles on it. I know why it happened. It took the salesperson two weeks after my friend put a deposit down to convert the car from an SR+ to an SR. During this time Tesla continued to use the car as a demo car.

I pointed this out to the delivery advisor. He said he would “send an email to corporate” to see if they were willing to do anything about it. But it was after 5pm and he told me they “probably wouldn’t respond for a couple of days”.

So here we are, ready to take delivery of the car, after considerable effort to coordinate our schedules so that I could pick him up and drive him to the delivery center, and there is nobody at Tesla who can resolve a simple issue like this to avoid sending a customer home without a car.

To make matters worse, the car was filthy. I asked to borrow a microfiber towel so I could wipe down the dirt. After doing so I discovered some oil stains on both the left and right rocker panels that I could not remove. In addition there was a big scratch on the driver side door pocket. And the car needed a serious vacuum job. I asked the delivery advisor if he could have these issues handled prior to us coming back so that we didn’t have to experience another long wait. He said he could not send the car back to the service center to have these issues addressed until we came back to take delivery of the car.

I sent a note that evening to the delivery center manager and the sales manager letting them know we were not pleased. That was Thursday night. I still have not received a response.

The delivery advisor did come back and offered another $200 discount for the extra miles. But at this point I’m thinking that a $640 discount for a car with over 1,000 miles on it just doesn’t make sense. A new car will also have HW3 in it. So we are inclined to reject the car on Monday and just order a new one.

I used the same delivery center to take delivery of both of our M3s and the experience was not nearly this disorganized. This one was really disappointing.

That's not the official pedal pad cover, did you receive your Model 3 with this? because it looks like the one people will buy it from Amazon/Ebay.

This is an incorrect statement.

That cover is the correct cover. Just like Audi/MB/Lexus and just about everyone else, the "performance pedals" are just fitted and glued on. Sometimes pressure fit. Either way, I'd clean it up with some rubbing alcohol and glue it into back into place. This is a non-issue.

This is an incorrect statement.

That cover is the correct cover. Just like Audi/MB/Lexus and just about everyone else, the "performance pedals" are just fitted and glued on. Sometimes pressure fit. Either way, I'd clean it up with some rubbing alcohol and glue it into back into place. This is a non-issue.

Well. You say it’s a non issue, but I can’t get the rubber vertical bits to go back through the aluminum cover.

Reserved on Friday, 2 May and received an email for a 3 May delivery at the Marina Del Ray delivery center for a new M3 RWD +. Quality is good except the Autopilot doesn’t work and the camera calibration remains at 0% after 100 miles. As a result, no AP features work to include cruise or basic lane departure warning, et al.. Tried both hard and soft resets, complete power off and all the other user fixes but nothing brings the AP on line. Delivery center is closed until Tuesday. Tried a walk-in to the local service center where they said it isn’t a safety related issue so they’ll get back because no techs work on the weekend. First appointment available for repair is 2 weeks out min. Would have been better to avoid needless driving around hoping to get the AP working. If it’s a fairly common software issue then it’s a little frustrating not to have access to help. On the other hand, if it’s a camera alignment issue, potentially a QA problem leaving the factory. Recommend driving a few miles before accepting delivery to make sure the camera and sensors are working. Hopefully it’s an easy OTA fix once service department is available.

My car was purchased with AP but it was not installed on the car when i picked it up. I waited a few days and the update never came. After posting on one of the facebook pages about it, a Tesla SC employee said i can force the update for you, and said something like it gets in a hold if the car is not close enough to WIFI for an extended period. He forced the update and i got AP that night!

• Helpful
Reactions: ColoradoFun
I am very happy with my Black LR AWD after little more than a month and 2200 km driven.
Unfortunately when I got it to ceramic coating, the guy at the garage made me notice a large (round-ish, 2 inches across) patch on the frunk, where the paint was ruined (beyond what he could do to mask it).
It needed the right light conditions to notice and I had missed it before (I took delivery on a rainy day).
According to the guy at the garage, this was likely caused by a large "bird dropping", which had corroded the paint: I am positive this did not happen after delivery (I could not have missed that).
It was too late to complain to Tesla (I had the car for more than 10 days when I realized plus the service center is really far from where I live) but now that I know the patch is there, I notice it all the time :-(

Thinking it back, the car had a last minute delay on delivery (for which I posted the story in a different thread): was that caused by the service center trying to do a quick paint job to repair the damage?

I took delivery of my SR+ last weekend. During the walk around inspection, I noticed a bubble/blemish on the right rear door panel. The weather strip/body welt on the right rear door opening was wrinkled in the top corner. The right front outer door handle hand some kind of foreign substance on it. It was either adhesive or dried wax. There was also a minor paint chip on the front and rear bumper.

The delivery manager came out to check things out. The only things that they would take care of was the paints chips, and the removal of the stuff that was on the outer door handle. The door panel blemish was ‘in spec’ and the wrinkled weather strip was ‘in spec’. I questioned this, and asked if most of these new Model 3’ on the lot had these defects as well. He didn’t think they would, but these items are still ‘in spec’ and he has seen them many times before. I asked to speak with the service manager, but he was not working that day. He said I would have to call service on Monday to see if there was anything that could be done, but he didn’t think so.

Near the end of the delivery, their detailer came out to remove the stuff on outside passenger handle. After 20-30 seconds, he said he was done. I thanked him, got in the car, and drove home. Later that evening in my garage, I’m walking around the vehicle and noticed that the passenger handle that had the stuff in it is now scratched! There is a scratch going across it about an inch long, and it is deep enough to catch your finger nail. It was too late to call the delivery center, so I would have to wait until Monday. I also looked at the bubble on the right rear door panel under a flashlight. The bubble was not a defect, but it looked like a pointed object has skipped across it and gathered the material up.

Monday morning comes and I call the service/delivery center. The service manager is not there and the advisor basically tells me that all these issues are delivery related and I would need to email the delivery manager. Over the course of the rest of the day, I’m emailing the delivery manager back and forth. The only thing that that they ended up taking care of is the door panel replacement. I’m SOL on the wrinkled weatherstrip and even the scratched door handle. Since the scratched handle wasn’t noticed at delivery, they would not replace it - even though it was the same handle that they rubbed on to get the foreign substance off.

For being a day one, sight unseen reservation holder, this experience has been a huge letdown. I never had this level of dis-service with my Model S. If they had not agreed to to take care of at least the door panel, I would have returned the vehicle. A like- new door handle on eBay runs about $200. So if the scratched handle continues to bother me, I could always go that route. It’s sad that I even have to entertain that though.

I can’t wait until I get my survey, but I have a feeling that it won’t matter what I say. Oh well...

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
Wouldn't say all April builds have issues.... zero complaints here. Delivery was great - washed, detailed, tires shined etc - charged up to 100%. It's so dependent on delivery center, I think. Nothing but amazing things to say about the Paramus NJ center!

View attachment 399147 View attachment 399148 View attachment 399149

I wonder if these are real stories. Zero issues with entire experience. Anyone want to hear about my VW dieselgate experience?

I wonder if these are real stories. Zero issues with entire experience

Really? I’ve been posting fairly prolifically - plenty of photos and such as well. Not sure what else I can post aside from email snapshots and signed MVPA’s to “prove” that everything went - and continues to go - well.

I’m many things, but a liar is not one of them.

BC468C72-7A3F-4DCF-A8A7-BB63723D7076.jpeg DD51EF77-B3FC-4FFE-8BC1-2AF962F81D0E.jpeg 73B85B65-B717-4649-9191-4A8FC7E49EA5.jpeg8655188E-605A-433B-9061-15171E8CE8FD.jpeg

Have had the Millennium Falcon now for 5 days (I’m still in WOW mode), so I’ve had some additional time to look the car over and notice anything. The only minor/major flaw (depending upon how important you think it is) is that one of the roof glass panels (the middle panel) is slightly mis -aligned side-to-side; so one side has a slightly larger gap than the other relative to the side of the roof. While there was a slight heart pang/“wtf” moment when I discovered it, I let it go as something not to be upset about. it’s not critical and most non-model 3/Tesla individuals (maybe even other Tesla owners) would likely never notice it (maybe it’s 2 mm at most...that’s just eying it). Moreover - it’s fixable - but in my opinion, not worth touching as it could open up other issues (sealing, leakage).

I’ll email my DA with a picture just to document it (for them and Tesla QA/QC improvement).

11/19 build, December delivery. After taking delivery I had a couple trim pieces and light fixtures aligned with marginal results. It wasn't enough to go back again. I noticed over the past month that the sheen on the passenger side wasn't consistent front door and fender to rear door. Looking closer, I found the hinge brackets upper and lower of the rear door to be chipped. Took the car to a reputable shop and had the paint measured. The door was worked on and repainted. Checking with SC regarding issue, they showed a log of data about the car post delivery and are saying it wasn't repaired under their clock. Ideally I'd like to get a similar log of work done after the car left the assembly line. While the SC is not revealing or just doesn't know, somehow the door was repaired before it was shipped from factory to SC. This is the same door that the trim is not aligning well. I have now noticed that the gap between the rear and front door bulges and the body lines are not aligned. How I could not notice before? We took delivery December during the rush. We were delayed an hour and half and then scooted out because of the backup appointments after ours. We had commitments of our own to attend to thereafter. Also, due to lousy weather , snow , sleet , we parked the car in the garage without really getting to know her. Now that we are into spring, the car is in the driveway more. At a distance is how I picked up on the subtle color and sheen difference. Yes, I got the standard message that I missed the 72 hour window to report, reject, etc. Now working with delivery manager to resolve. Had this been properly disclosed, I would have rejected delivery.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Mine was nearly flawless as well. A spot of leftover plastic sheet and adhesive, leftover plastic wrap on the pillars and touch screen, one spot on the left side they buffed out during delivery. To my eye the gap on the left of the trunk is maybe 1mm larger than the right, maybe even less. If I hadn’t read so much about body alignment I’d never have noticed, but I was looking real close. You don’t see it if you look at the whole back end, only if you examine the one side and then quickly go examine the other. No way are you parting me from this car for even 10 minutes to ‘fix’ that. If I had just gone home with no examination, I’d have been happy. (I can’t help but think I practically did go home with no exam the last time I bought a new car! That’s what reading forums will do to you.)

Mine was nearly flawless as well. A spot of leftover plastic sheet and adhesive, leftover plastic wrap on the pillars and touch screen, one spot on the left side they buffed out during delivery. To my eye the gap on the left of the trunk is maybe 1mm larger than the right, maybe even less. If I hadn’t read so much about body alignment I’d never have noticed, but I was looking real close. You don’t see it if you look at the whole back end, only if you examine the one side and then quickly go examine the other. No way are you parting me from this car for even 10 minutes to ‘fix’ that. If I had just gone home with no examination, I’d have been happy. (I can’t help but think I practically did go home with no exam the last time I bought a new car! That’s what reading forums will do to you.)
My frunk was misaligned literally 1 mm larger on the right side versus the left side (per the gauge used at the SC). Caught it with just eyeing it upon delivery (among other minor issues). I scheduled an appt in the TESLA app, got a loaner (because of small paint issues I discovered as well) and had my car returned to me with EVERYTHING fixed in 2 working days. Can't complain. TESLA made it right, and previously when I brought my vehicle into the SC the tech told me some items were within spec but he would adjust it as best as he could. He did a great job IMHO.

• Helpful
I appreciate that this posting is just an effort on my behalf to let go of what can only be one of the sadder car purchasing experiences I have ever had. I ordered my 3 with all the mechanical upgrades in March 2018. It took until November to "arrive" at the Chicago distribution point where, after pitching a major bitch to three different people, Tesla agreed to honor its policy of delivering a car if the owner is over 150 miles away. But they tried mightily to con/guilt/cajole me into driving 3 hours instead!
The car arrived and as it rolled off the truck the driver gave me a card from the delivery center where he had picked the car up. He pointed to a dent in the fender and told me that he had seen this before loading, pointed it out to the Center and was told to have me call them. Thank goodness for the driver as otherwise Tesla was clearly going to deliver a damaged vehicle and when I noted the damage was going to blame the poor honest driver.
But that was only the beginning. In 3 calls to my "service center" and at least 10 "customer service" email exchanges I got "what dent" from the service center and "please make arrangements to bring your car to an authorized body shop and we will look at it" from customer service. The nearest body shop is 3 hours away and no one ever answered my question about why this hadnt been picked up and fixed before it even went on the truck. Needless to say....I didnt drive 3 hours. I had no faith in Tesla at that point and god only knows how long I would have had to stay in the area while the body shop did the work (assuming I didnt have to move heaven and earth and drag the poor honest driver back into the dialog just to get Tesla to accept responsibility). Instead, since the damage is nominal (other than its hard to understand how a car this expensive has ANY damage...for goodness sake...its not a Hyundai!) I chose to leave it so I have something to show every person who asks about how I "like" the car.
Next up....I had to "discover" that my car had neither the appropriate badges nor the "extra charge" spoiler. What kind of car company ships an incomplete vehicle and doesnt even contact the buyer to "explain"...I'll tell you what kind...the kind that doesnt give a tinker's damn about its customer service reputation. I have now had the car for half a year and it still is "incomplete". Anyone who is familiar with this issue knows that people on the west coast that had the same problem have been getting their spoilers installed for months including people who took delivery of their car long after I did. Apparently, what little customer service Tesla has decided to dole out only goes to people in California. In keeping with Tesla's basic "always sympathise but accept no responsibility for anything" customer service approach neither my designated service center, the local "installer" nor three different "customer support" email people has any idea when I will get my stuff and, more importantly, not one of them has any idea who would or should know!
Now my favorite! When the car was delivered the turn signal on the drivers side wouldnt function properly on the detent position which was supposed to generate 3 blinks and turn off. I reached out to customer service and after 11 exchanges what did I get told.....that this was a software problem which could be solved with a reboot. I was so appalled by this pile of nonsense that I took my life in my hands and actually went through the hell of calling Customer Service....while the wait was unforgivable (it seems that having a "we'll keep you in the queue...just give us your number and you wont have to stay on line waiting" is too much for Tesla's IT geniuses to manage) when I finally talked with a human my experience was bittersweet. Imagine how "surprised" I was when this person quickly indicated that "we've seen quite a few of these....I have absolutely no idea why someone would tell you it was software....I'll reach out to your local service tech and get it replaced"! Unbelievable!
My wife bought a 2018 Hybrid Camry within a week of me ordering my 3. She took delivery in 3 days (not 8 months). The car was flawless. The one "problem" that developed was fixed immediately with an accompanying call from the Service Manager to be sure everything was "alright". Maybe Elon should hire someone that knows how to manufacture and service cars as he and his "team" clearly dont (and dont appear to be particularly interested in learning given the hundreds of frustrated owners like me that have posted on this and other Boards). Even Walmart changes if enough people complain....shame on Tesla. My next electric vehicle will be made by an actual car company.