Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What defects have you found at/after delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have found a rattle somewhere around the front passenger side of the car which starts about 40 or so miles per hour. They couldn't find why at the mobile appointment but said they heard this before. I was supposed to bring it to the service department tomorrow, but my appointment was cancelled due to them ordering some windshield parts I wasn't aware of them ordering. Hopefully we will see what they end up saying it is.

Actually, a 5000K (~300 Lumens on avg) white light is the best color temperature overall to detect paint defects.This also depends on what type of overhead lighting you have as well.

Really? 300 Lumens doesn't sound like all that much... Do you mean focused from a torch?

Really? 300 Lumens doesn't sound like all that much... Do you mean focused from a torch?
Yes, exactly. With the combination of overhead lighting (obviously depending on those lumens) and the addition of a 300 lumens torch, you should be good. For example, a Rupes LL150 has a Luminous flux of 140 lumens. But its a great pen light with an adjustable focus from 10-70 degrees.

• Helpful
Reactions: 1 person
So, after a day, these are my issues/questions:

1) I found a scratch (well, the PPF guy did) under the front chin of the car. You have to lie down on the ground to see it, but he showed me how they clearly bottomed out while unloading/loading the car somewhere along the line. There's a black plastic shroud under there that was all scuffed up. Not really a big concern for me...I don't lie on the ground looking under my car's chin very often. However, this guy does a lot of cars, and a lot of Teslas as well. He told me mine was probably the best paint job he had ever seen on a Tesla. They seem to be improving with time.

2) The front passenger seat. One of the two side panels (basically, what would be right under your right leg) seems to have some extra "fabric" that causes it to "bunch" up. It wouldn't normally be noticeable, but all of the other seats in the car appear to be tightly covered.

3) Rear doors are harder to open than the fronts. Is this normal? My front doors effectively pop open when hitting the button enough to get your hand in between the car and the door to pull it open. The rears don't do that. In fact, the rear drivers side door won't open AT ALL unless you retain pressure on the button and push/pull it open at the same time. That one needs adjusting for sure, but I'm curious if the rears are supposed to behave just like the fronts.

4) I have the high pitched whine that others have complained about. Not sure how well that one will work out...

5) Still no sight of my referral code? On my account, or the person who let me use theirs.

6) Question: How does one turn on the rear seat heaters?

7) Question: If I'm sitting in the car, and it is in drive, with my foot on the brake, and I want to let a passenger in, how do I unlock the doors? Do I have to put it in park?

8) Question: Maybe related to 6? There is a lock icon in the upper left corner of the screen...what does that do? (I should check the manual)

9) Question: Is there any way to reorder the radio station favorites? Seems like there should be...but I didn't see anything obvious.

Thanks!

So, after a day, these are my issues/questions:

1) I found a scratch (well, the PPF guy did) under the front chin of the car. You have to lie down on the ground to see it, but he showed me how they clearly bottomed out while unloading/loading the car somewhere along the line. There's a black plastic shroud under there that was all scuffed up. Not really a big concern for me...I don't lie on the ground looking under my car's chin very often. However, this guy does a lot of cars, and a lot of Teslas as well. He told me mine was probably the best paint job he had ever seen on a Tesla. They seem to be improving with time.

2) The front passenger seat. One of the two side panels (basically, what would be right under your right leg) seems to have some extra "fabric" that causes it to "bunch" up. It wouldn't normally be noticeable, but all of the other seats in the car appear to be tightly covered.

3) Rear doors are harder to open than the fronts. Is this normal? My front doors effectively pop open when hitting the button enough to get your hand in between the car and the door to pull it open. The rears don't do that. In fact, the rear drivers side door won't open AT ALL unless you retain pressure on the button and push/pull it open at the same time. That one needs adjusting for sure, but I'm curious if the rears are supposed to behave just like the fronts.

4) I have the high pitched whine that others have complained about. Not sure how well that one will work out...

5) Still no sight of my referral code? On my account, or the person who let me use theirs.

6) Question: How does one turn on the rear seat heaters? Located under cold weather menu in the controls menu on the main screen. Just touch the seat you want to heat up. Touch it again to lower the level and eventually turn off.

7) Question: If I'm sitting in the car, and it is in drive, with my foot on the brake, and I want to let a passenger in, how do I unlock the doors? Do I have to put it in park? Answers this question and question 8: it is the little lock icon on the upper left of the screen. Also, it will beep at you indicating the car is in DRIVE to be careful.

8) Question: Maybe related to 6? There is a lock icon in the upper left corner of the screen...what does that do? (I should check the manual)

9) Question: Is there any way to reorder the radio station favorites? Seems like there should be...but I didn't see anything obvious. Havent tried that, yet.

Thanks!

Answers in BOLD above.

Thanks! Any thoughts on the rear doors?

My kids (5yo+) haven't had trouble opening the rear doors, though I don't especially remember the difficulty of opening them myself.

For the referral I would call Tesla and ask them to verify that the referral code has been entered correctly. It took a few days for it to show up on my friend's account, but I have the sense it's been longer than that for you? (Also, check the "loot box" in the app to be sure, because I see it there rather than in my Tesla account on the Web site.)

Thanks! Any thoughts on the rear doors?
As to the rear doors, they shouldnt be difficult to open as stated by ammulder. I am able to open my doors with minimal effort.

In reference to doors in general, I had a latching issue with my driver side door. I would "throw" the door with a medium amount of force and the door would not completely shut but "bounce" off the striker and stay partially open. I pointed this out at the SC and the tech even attempted to shut the door and experienced the same action. They adjusted the striker and now it closes perfectly. Additionally, my rear passenger side door was about 0.5-1.0 mm "out" on the section closest to the rear of the vehicle. The SC tech stated it was within spec; however, he would attempt to adjust it with no guarantees. When I went to go pick up my vehicle from the SC everything was perfectly adjusted.

• Informative
Reactions: bshap73
I discovered the following damage after the first wash of the model 3 about 3 months after delivery. Please pardon the glares and reflections on the body panels. The panels are actually flawless. The damage is to the top edge of the rear lower bumper. As you can see, if someone were to deliberately do this, there would no doubt be damage to the top panel. There are no signs of blemishes on the top panel (even along the edge). Unfortunately, with the combination of living in Portland, OR, parking the vehicle on the left side of my garage, and an infant, I didn't catch this until after 3 months of delivery. I have no doubt that I received the vehicle this way. The SM at the service center was not convinced that this was caused by the factory. I have taken the vehicle to several body shops and the consistent statement that I have received from them is that this damage would not have been possible without removing the bumper from the vehicle.

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Attachments

• view3 IMG_20190317_162808.jpg
    view3 IMG_20190317_162808.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 186
Took delivery on 5/17 30 min before closing. They rushed to get me out of there and I was too tired to fight it. Noticed the right wheel/tire damage after pulling into the garage. The rim was damaged on rear passenger side with paint flaking off - and the tire had a small piece hanging.

Looking for recommendations.

Attachments

• B94FF30F-0C62-4818-B621-0D1816FB70DA.jpeg
    B94FF30F-0C62-4818-B621-0D1816FB70DA.jpeg
    372.1 KB · Views: 185
  • 6B3CD7BA-388D-4C6F-83E0-79451D424734.jpeg
    6B3CD7BA-388D-4C6F-83E0-79451D424734.jpeg
    350.5 KB · Views: 183
  • Informative
I took delivery today, found paint chips on lower front bumper, passenger front fender and slight gap on side mirror of passenger side. Advisor annotated the blemishes. I always call into the main line.

Attachments

• 0630F5CC-6FE1-4714-B736-51D2617B39E2.jpeg
    0630F5CC-6FE1-4714-B736-51D2617B39E2.jpeg
    456.7 KB · Views: 181
  • F1910786-D36F-4923-9B47-30062BF3BA09.jpeg
    F1910786-D36F-4923-9B47-30062BF3BA09.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 176
  • 43F17BD8-3EBF-4F1E-897D-7993B74866AF.jpeg
    43F17BD8-3EBF-4F1E-897D-7993B74866AF.jpeg
    393.1 KB · Views: 177
  • Informative
So have my M3 for 3 weeks. I had service do alignment and fix a couple of other things. I got home and was putting on the wheel cap kit. Got to the rear passenger tire and there is damage to the rim. No way I could do it as the aero hub cap on entire time.

I immediately called dealer and was told not covered. Told me I had 3 days or 100 miles. Never heard that policy. Delivery person came to my house and never told me that one. If they have such a policy I should have to sign something acknowledging I was told and understood it.

I am currently waiting to hear from service Mgr. See how that goes. Otherwise, I will be taking this as high as I can go . I will also use a well known advocate site to help. Tesla is acting like a cheap insurance company denying all claims first.

They will eventually lose customers when other EVs come out from companies with better customer service reputation.

So what is the best strategy at delivery? It's hard to find all the defects in the time available, with the sales people hanging around etc.

I'm thinking a decent DSLR camera, shots all round and inside. Maybe make a diagram with tick boxes for each area that needs to be checked.