Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What defects have you found at/after delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what is the best strategy at delivery? It's hard to find all the defects in the time available, with the sales people hanging around etc.

I'm thinking a decent DSLR camera, shots all round and inside. Maybe make a diagram with tick boxes for each area that needs to be checked.

I really do not know what can be done. I was actually told by the delivery manager at the Cherry Hill Center that they do not tell people about the paint imperfection coverage (nothing covered after delivery) because they do not want people taking two hours to look over their cars. Now does that sound like a company that cares about the product they put out?

I did get them to admit they would take care of paint imperfections if it was obvious I couldn't have caused them.

In the case of the rim damage I know they are going to argue how I can prove they caused it.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
I was actually told by the delivery manager at the Cherry Hill Center that they do not tell people about the paint imperfection coverage (nothing covered after delivery) because they do not want people taking two hours to look over their cars.

That just encourages people to spend two hours going over the car before accepting it.

It's unusual for there to be absolutely nothing wrong with a new car. You can find something if you look hard enough. What matters is that the dealer is willing to fix it, so the more difficult they are the more "difficult" you need to be and make damn sure you find all the problems before signing the paperwork.

Remember that if they insist on you signing first you can just write "not inspected" next to it.

You don’t need two hours to inspect a car for carrier or cosmetic damage.

Quick visual of all sides of the car looking for Panel dents and deep scratches
Checks of wheels for curbing rash and missing valve caps or lug nuts.
All glass should fit flush with no chips or cracks especially along edges
Headlights & taillights flush with no cracks or signs of trapped moisture
Doors, hood, truck should fit flush.
That shouldn’t take longer than 5 Minutes.

Your delivery agent will demonstrate frunk you look for pinched weather stripping, toe hook should be present in bottom of frunk.
Your delivery agent should demonstrate Trunk look for pinched weather stripping
Check charger case for included accessories 120 and 220 plugs.

Open drivers door and make sure it opens easily.
Before getting in check for pinched weather stripping and for paint scratches or over spray in door sill and jamb
Look at plastic door panel for scratches gouges were it may have been kicked by feet.
Look for damage or stains on seat before sitting.

Steering wheel should be centered but this may not be apparent until driving.
Steering wheel leather should not be scratched

Look for grease, dirt, stains on pillars and head liner while sitting.
Check dash for scratches or cracks in wood trim

Look at center screen it should not be scratched chipped or cracked along side edges.

Center console should not be scratched and opens and closes correctly

Try radio, balance control can show all speakers function.
Try different fan speeds, no weird sounds

Before getting out check all power windows for down up operation

Look up making sure there are no stains or grease marks where people instinctively place their hands when getting In Of Out Of car.

After exiting the car check The remaining doors for easy opening closure
Door weather stripping for pinches
Door sills and jabs for scratching or paint overspray
Door panels for scratches or gouges in plastic
Seats for stains and broken stitching
Rear seat armrest opens and rear seat can fold down and latches without issue.

The cosmetics like wheel and glass damage are the most important so you don’t get into an issue were you leave and they say you did it.

Any other issues like a rattle or a feature that doesn’t work will be handled as a warranty claim.

If you find issues Go Back And take a Photo

Your delivery agent will demonstrate frunk you look for pinched weather stripping, toe hook should be present in bottom of frunk.

Before getting in check for pinched weather stripping and for paint scratches or over spray in door sill and jamb
Look at plastic door panel for scratches gouges were it may have been kicked by feet.

Look at center screen it should not be scratched chipped or cracked along side edges.

Look up making sure there are no stains or grease marks where people instinctively place their hands when getting In Of Out Of car.

The cosmetics like wheel and glass damage are the most important so you don’t get into an issue were you leave and they say you did it.

Any other issues like a rattle or a feature that doesn’t work will be handled as a warranty claim.

Great list but too late for me. I haven't had a car with hubcaps in so many years I didn't think to pop off the caps. It was also raining that day and they delivered to my home.

I truly am hoping that they come to their senses and just pay for the rim. I know that I didn't cause it and barely drove the car as I didn't want any damage before I brought it in for my first service appt.

I am hoping a reputable consumer advocate site will be able to assist. The executive contact email they gave me didn't work. I am waiting to hear back from them.

My only other recourse is mediation or something like that per the warranty. Then either arbitration or small claims court. Maybe if it gets to that they will not want to spend the money (as they are responsible for it) and just settle.

That would take me 2 hours ;-)

It's the paint that would take a long time I think, and which I would want good photos of. Some of the defects are hard to spot, you need good light etc. Bring a friend.

Add checking seatbelts to your list. I had a car with a broken seatbelt once, didn't notice until the dealer pointed it out at the first service and fixed it under warranty.

Excellent checklist! Thank you...

That would take me 2 hours ;-)

It's the paint that would take a long time I think, and which I would want good photos of. Some of the defects are hard to spot, you need good light etc. Bring a friend.

Add checking seatbelts to your list. I had a car with a broken seatbelt once, didn't notice until the dealer pointed it out at the first service and fixed it under warranty.

The intent is not to find everything that may be wrong,
just the stuff they might blame you for.
Cosmetic stuff usually isn’t covered unless you catch it at delivery.

If you find, the Turn signal sticks. Brakes squeak. Light out, Glovebox won’t close, etc
These are all things that will be addressed under normal warranty.

When I was a young apprentice at a large GM dealer I used to do new vehicle PDI's.
These would take some time. Things that needed attention were noted and sent to the appropriate dept for repair before the vehicles were placed into new sales.
Does Tesla do the PDI before shipping the car? Or have they eliminated this vital step?

Yes but the thoroughness varies by service center and delivery center.
And if they see an issue how ready, willing, and able, are they to correct it.
Some damage is caused by the staff themselves jocking cars at a breakneck speed.
Other are only found by customers who have a vested interest

Great list but too late for me. I haven't had a car with hubcaps in so many years I didn't think to pop off the caps. It was also raining that day and they delivered to my home.

I truly am hoping that they come to their senses and just pay for the rim. I know that I didn't cause it and barely drove the car as I didn't want any damage before I brought it in for my first service appt.

I am hoping a reputable consumer advocate site will be able to assist. The executive contact email they gave me didn't work. I am waiting to hear back from them.

My only other recourse is mediation or something like that per the warranty. Then either arbitration or small claims court. Maybe if it gets to that they will not want to spend the money (as they are responsible for it) and just settle.
You have a scratched rim right?

A mobile wheel repair place will fix that for 100-150 bucks. Are you really going to go to small claims court over 150 bucks?

My 2013 Model S had several defects at delivery, which were enthusiastically corrected.
My 2017 Model X had misaligned trunk and headlights, and one or two other minor things, all of which were quickly and enthusiastically fixed.
Our 2019 Model 3 had zero defects.

Not only do I have no complaints about defects or Tesla's handling of them, but I notice the trend toward fewer defects (at least in this small sample) and I'm sure hoping my next Model S has zero defects as well. The Model 3 feels wonderfully solid, built like a tank.

Reactions: StealthP3D
My 2013 Model S had several defects at delivery, which were enthusiastically corrected.
My 2017 Model X had misaligned trunk and headlights, and one or two other minor things, all of which were quickly and enthusiastically fixed.
Our 2019 Model 3 had zero defects.

Not only do I have no complaints about defects or Tesla's handling of them, but I notice the trend toward fewer defects (at least in this small sample) and I'm sure hoping my next Model S has zero defects as well. The Model 3 feels wonderfully solid, built like a tank.
That’s good to hear. I see most, if experience is good, will continue to stay with Tesla. I’ll see how my next couple years goes. Would like model Y in the future

After 8 years (since August 2011) driving Teslas, I'm fully convinced that Tesla is the future in many ways: push for self-driving, fully-electric propulsion, drive to lower costs, and several other things are forcing the entire industry to follow their lead. The Taycan is a direct competitor, and would not exist if there were no Model S. Same for the i-PACE and others.

Tesla's financial success is not assured. But if Tesla fails financially, the assets (factories, tooling, inventory) will be bought by someone with deep pockets like Google, Amazon, Apple, or Berkshire Hathaway such that the company itself will still survive and thrive. My feeling is that Tesla has already proven itself to be a commercial success and its car owners have nothing to worry about, much like the original owners of the Iridium satellite network lost their shirts but the network itself is still up, running, and profitably serving clients.

I took delivery in November 2017 and for $64k I would've thought the car would've been near perfect. Here is my list:

Trunk lines and gaps were wildly off.
Driver door paint was missing coats.
Entire car had paint swirls.
Rear bumper has a dent.
Screen had 14 faults.
Bluetooth connection unresponsive for 6 months.
TPMS did not give correct readings.
Autopilot near misses.
Front sound bar crackled with random songs.

So far all these issues are either covered by 3M wrap or were solved. Haven't had an issue lately that needs immediate attention or that is a major hazard.

• Informative
After 8 years (since August 2011) driving Teslas, I'm fully convinced that Tesla is the future in many ways: push for self-driving, fully-electric propulsion, drive to lower costs, and several other things are forcing the entire industry to follow their lead. The Taycan is a direct competitor, and would not exist if there were no Model S. Same for the i-PACE and others.

Tesla's financial success is not assured. But if Tesla fails financially, the assets (factories, tooling, inventory) will be bought by someone with deep pockets like Google, Amazon, Apple, or Berkshire Hathaway such that the company itself will still survive and thrive. My feeling is that Tesla has already proven itself to be a commercial success and its car owners have nothing to worry about, much like the original owners of the Iridium satellite network lost their shirts but the network itself is still up, running, and profitably serving clients.

From what I have read the above do not want to get into the business of making cars. Producing a product which operates in a dangerous environment and has the chance of killing people (which ALL cars do) is something that they do not need.
How many vehicle manufactures have there been? List of defunct automobile manufacturers of the United States - Wikipedia
I believe if Tesla fails one of the big three will pick away at the bones and throw away the shell.
And that would be a shame.

• Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D
SR+ delivery May 2019. I observed and reported 5 paint bubbles. Post delivery I noticed that the black material trim that contours the front lower interior windshield has an uneven 4 inch hump on the drivers side. the rest of it is very straight and even. I tried to push it down but that doesn't fix or help it go down.

The front passenger door sticks out by about 1/8 of an inch when closed. All other doors are more flush and very evenly close to each other.

The passenger A pillar where the top plastic meets the lighter fabric material there are some slight noticeable wrinkles that aren't seen in other pillar seams.

I have a very slight faint sporadic front dash cric crac pop sound. Depends on temperature (inside /out) and quality of roads. If it remains static I'm not really bothered by it but I think it will get worse in very cold Canadian winters and if it does I will report it.

After just washing the car with a 1800 psi pressure washer I immediately noticed a clunking noise coming from front passenger car door over bumps. It dissipated hours and days later I figure as the moisture dried out from the door.

Aside from the paint I feel my issues are minor. The positives of the car far outweigh them. I have my list and when/ if more serious issues arise I will have them looked at by Tesla.

• Informative
My car had 13km on it when delivered in Vancouver. I waited a week to see if I could compile a list of issues but the only thing was that the driver’s door required excessive force to close. I made an appointment on line and the next day the mobile service people arrived and adjusted the door latch. After the first 1000km I can’t find anything else to complain about. Best car I have ever bought and nicest delivery experience. Now if I could just get the referral credits....

• Informative