TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What determines when a firmware update is pushed out?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by dweeks, Dec 27, 2014.

1. dweeks

dweeks Member

I've got a new S85 the was delivered on 12/16 with version 2.0.76.

I read that 2.0.77 and a possibly newer version (85D only?) has been pushed to some cars.

What determines when a new version shows up for update?

My car is connected to the house network when in the garage, so it has plenty of bandwidth, if that makes any difference.

2. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

tesla has never disclosed any algorithms. But after 2 years and MANY releases there appear to be 2 triggers: if your car has experienced an issue that is addressed in a new release, you get early. That is rare, but happens. Otherwise, it appears to be random. You get when you get. Wifi makes no difference. The only way to accelerate is have service center update you, and they no longer do that unless you are otherwise in for service or have firmware issue. Also, it can take months for release to get fully distributed. Sometimes there are starts and stops. Do not get impatient.

Having said that, I do believe that update sequencing is about to change. It is clear that there are dual motor and auto pilot updates coming, and I believe cars with that hardware are likely to get those updates before others, but maybe not... I believe reason for apparently random pattern and slow distribution is to test across wide variety of configs, drivers, climates.

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

It's pretty much hit and miss, although Tesla has pushed an update to everyone in less than a week when they were motivated to do so. In general, they push an update to some beta testers who have signed NDAs, then they push it to small sets of regular owners. Once a few small sets of regular owners have been done they start pushing it to larger groups. this can take quite a while because they often find things to be corrected in the first part of the rollout. In general, I don't worry much about getting the latest software because I'd much rather have one after there have been a few bug fixes.

4. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

The 6.0 (2.0.77) isn't D specific. I have a P85 and the .77 was Pushed to my car by service last week. Some of their updates are ONLY done at SC while 99% of them you'll get eventually.

5. wayner

wayner Active Member

Why does it take months to push an upgrade to everyone? Is this a deliberate strategy or is there some bottleneck?

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

As far as I can it's a combination of 1) Not pushing to too many cars at a time so that if problems arise only a few are affected. 2) The random nature of the general push. 3) Delays when bugs are found and a new release is made. This was more evident in the first few releases than it is now. 4) Connection foibles. If, for whatever reason, your car's connection doesn't work the first time, your number probably goes back into the random queue, perhaps after one retry.

They did push one release out to everyone over just a few days, but that's not normal. (And there were far fewer cars then.)

7. tomas

And just to squelch that myth: the one release that was purportedly pushed in days? It took 3 weeks to get to me.

Every time theres a new major release new owners raise these questions. Why so slow? Random? Why not open beta? How do I get earlier? Is there an issue that I have not yet received? Best approach is enjoy the car and trust updates will arrive in time.

PS, there's not yet been a config-specific release. All releases are distributed to all configs... Except when a release is superseded before it makes the rounds... Which is frequent.

8. loco

loco Member

My P85+ is still on 5.9. I have coverage.

Anyone else still on 5.9?
    Is there anything I can do other than driving to service center?

9. tomas

you have legitimate concern. 6.0 variants have been out for months. Should contact tesla. I wonder if some ISP issue?

10. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

What determines when a firmware update is pushed out?

The number of waving hands. :biggrin: