Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What diagnostic info is visible when I call Roadside Assistance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Trevor B

Apr 2, 2016
USA
I'm curious what diagnostics are available for Tesla to diagnose over the air when I call roadside assistance.

I recently got the "Autopilot Safety/Convenience Features Unavailable" message, this went away after a hard reboot. Since the service appointment is not until a few weeks, called roadside assistance (selected the non-emergency option) to see if they can diagnose the reason(s) -- recall reading a faulty sensor can sometimes cause this.

Was told nothing looks amiss, it was a probably just a transient error.

Hence the query :)

Roadside assistance can look at the vehicle logs. If a problem occurs try to take note or remember the date/time and location. We used to be able to used the bug report feature as a bookmark, but it appears roadside assistance cannot see those anymore.
I'd bet that level 1 tech support can see everything. BUT, it's almost certainly default filtered to "Warnings, Errors and Alerts" If they can't find the problem, they refer it to level 2 who have more training, knowledge and analysis tools.

Honestly if a reboot fixes it and it's not a re-occuring error don't worry. They'll fix it. Yes, it's annoying. But their bug squashers work overtime. I've seen a number of bugs disappear in the past few updates.

PS: Yes, the car logs tons of data. But I feel that it's unreasonable to expect a Level 1 tech to do anything with low level data. They look at alert and warnings the car has generated. That lets them help 90% of customers. For those with funkier situations they write it up and send it onto the L2 support and engineers.

Reactions: Trevor B