Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What did you do to your Tesla Model 3 today?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s deep breath and into the realms of all 4 door cards and C pillar trims noise reduction / rattle fixing this weekend. Adhesive closed-cell foam arrived today.

Maybe will try and do rear doors tomorrow as fronts will take longer and c-pillars will be a bit fiddly. I’m convinced the rear left c-pillar trim is not fixed in correctly to the shelf-level trim as it moves around loads compared to the rear right.

For the doors, floors, wheel wells and such I highly recommend you do multiple layers and not just closed cell. Use butyl first and then closed cell on top. I've done many sections of my car and would be happy to share photos.

What did you do to your Tesla Model 3 today?
My dream mod...

Tesla-M3-convertible-TD5.jpg

@webbah Yeah I know how to sound deaden cars, spent 5 years competing in sound quality audio land :) Not going to bother with all that effort for a company car just want no rattles from doors or the rear...... I like to drive without distracting plastic-plastic noises.

Total investment in this is £19 on a roll of closed cell foam - I have all the other bits needed.

Saw you pictures on another thread - looks good ! But not for me on this car, have you also researched “cloud 9 underlay” - if you really want a quiet car, that is the layer you are missing from your description ;)

Reactions: webbah
Tonight, I removed the rear number plate and holder. Gave the car a snow foam and wash and then stuck the aluminium plate directly to the car with heavy duty velcro. Fingers crossed it holds. It has really cleaned up the look from the rear though.

Now, what to do about that front plate.

Reactions: Medved_77
Tonight, I removed the rear number plate and holder. Gave the car a snow foam and wash and then stuck the aluminium plate directly to the car with heavy duty velcro. Fingers crossed it holds. It has really cleaned up the look from the rear though.

Personally, I went for the stick on plate for the front and like you, attached the original plate directly to the boot.

Reactions: Empato

You're nearly there, just do exactly the same with the front plate, as I did here:

Stick on number plate

Reactions: Empato
numberplates - have I read correctly that the first layer of plate fixing panel can be used on its own with good success instead of having both the first flat layer and the huge Tesla outer part can be discarded. Then VFB tape to hold plate onto first panel layer ?

Had both rear door cards off this afternoon and completed rattles treatment, job done now.

The key in addition to some closed-cell thin adhesive foam has been to fit an adhesive door seal to a section of the card profile towards the rear of each door, it stops the door card resonating against the metal. Pleased with this as the profile of the rubber suits the job perfectly. It gives tension to the door card clips and now no movement in the card edges once the push clips make that satisfying ping sound on the way back in.

Onto the fronts over the weekend. I have to say these are some of the best door card clip choices I’ve seen on a car and the torx bolts are also very sensible to work with.

Attachments

• B833A1F5-7C47-46FE-A34C-9CD255AFB598.jpeg
    B833A1F5-7C47-46FE-A34C-9CD255AFB598.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 797ABEC7-6F1A-45D5-A191-13F23145D942.jpeg
    797ABEC7-6F1A-45D5-A191-13F23145D942.jpeg
    255 KB · Views: 55
  • 820784E3-2A0E-4FC0-9C5E-579FC042A560.jpeg
    820784E3-2A0E-4FC0-9C5E-579FC042A560.jpeg
    289 KB · Views: 52
numberplates - have I read correctly that the first layer of plate fixing panel can be used on its own with good success instead of having both the first flat layer and the huge Tesla outer part can be discarded. Then VFB tape to hold plate onto first panel layer ?

Yes, this works very well indeed. Just remove the outer front plate frame and leave the backing frame. This is slightly smaller all around that a standard UK plate.

I've tried it but the tape I used wouldn't hold ... Tesa outdoor montage tape - dark green

There seems to be some fake tape around, pretending to be the equivalent of 3M VHB, or even falsely labelled as VHB. I bought a roll of dark green tape and it also failed to hold, and loosened up once it got warm from the sun. I've since refastened both plates with proper 3M VHB tape and they aren't going anywhere now.

• Informative
Reactions: WarpedOne
Not sure - there's a Model S owner on Facebook who obsesses over cleaning & apparently uses this stuff all the time. Using a small brush, each tyre takes a couple of minutes & uses a tiny amount.

I bought 1L £11.99 PURE SILICONE OIL TREADMILL OIL UNIVERSAL FOR ALL FOR BELTS WITH SYRINGE/SPRAY | eBay

Although the tyres look great, is there a potential risk from putting silicone oil on them? One thing I've learned about silicone lubricants is that they are incredibly persistent and hard to remove from a surface. If this oil were to migrate on to the tread, I wonder what impact it might have on wet grip?

Reactions: Adopado