Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What did you do with the Uberturbines for winter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I having having a lot of trouble finding all seasons that could fit my MYP Uberturbines. Michelin pilot all season tires are not coming out until late next year. There is Michelin all season 275/35 option for the rear wheels but nothing i could find for front wheels. Have any one tried different size tires than the stock tires on the front wheels? Does 255/40R21 fit the front wheels or does it rub?

On my end I ordered a set of Gemini Wheels and tire but I am running into an issue that I can’t explain and would appreciate the genius of this community to help me.
I bought those wheels on eBay (Four 2020 2021 Tesla Model Y Factory 19 Wheels with caps OEM Model 3 Rims | eBay) and a set of tires from tire rack.

Today I went to the tire installers and he told me he was not able to fit the new wheels because the bolt pattern is 5x120 instead of 5x114.3.

Do you know how this is possible? Any suggestion on what I can do? I contacted the seller and waiting to hear back.

Thanks!

I having having a lot of trouble finding all seasons that could fit my MYP Uberturbines. Michelin pilot all season tires are not coming out until late next year. There is Michelin all season 275/35 option for the rear wheels but nothing i could find for front wheels. Have any one tried different size tires than the stock tires on the front wheels? Does 255/40R21 fit the front wheels or does it rub?
Went shopping for wheels and snow ties on T Sportline [email protected] went with 20inch rims with Michelin snow and ice tread. Save the 21’s for the summer.

They should be stored inside very soon depending where you are. Temperatures below 45F can cause the compound to crack and cause damage making them unsafe. Taking them off and keeping them in an uninsulated garage isn’t sufficient enough unless you know you’re not dropping below 45 for significant times (say 24 hours or something).

On my end I ordered a set of Gemini Wheels and tire but I am running into an issue that I can’t explain and would appreciate the genius of this community to help me.
I bought those wheels on eBay (Four 2020 2021 Tesla Model Y Factory 19 Wheels with caps OEM Model 3 Rims | eBay) and a set of tires from tire rack.

Today I went to the tire installers and he told me he was not able to fit the new wheels because the bolt pattern is 5x120 instead of 5x114.3.

Do you know how this is possible? Any suggestion on what I can do? I contacted the seller and waiting to hear back.

Thanks!
Most likely they accidentally sent you wheels for a Model S as I believe that has the 5x120 bolt pattern. That add you included above clearly says Model Y and 5 x 114 bolt pattern so they had to have sent you the wrong ones? Hope they take care of you...

Most likely they accidentally sent you wheels for a Model S as I believe that has the 5x120 bolt pattern. That add you included above clearly says Model Y and 5 x 114 bolt pattern so they had to have sent you the wrong ones? Hope they take care of you...
You are absolutely right. I am the proud owner of Model S wheels with Model Y size tires.... They are trying to see what they can do to sort me out but I suspect it won't be smooth. The poor tire shop is the one who will have the most pain and it's not their fault.

You are absolutely right. I am the proud owner of Model S wheels with Model Y size tires.... They are trying to see what they can do to sort me out but I suspect it won't be smooth. The poor tire shop is the one who will have the most pain and it's not their fault.

They ship you the correct wheels and a pre-paid label to ship the other wheels back to them. They cover the mount/dismount expense with the tire shop. Seems smooth to me.

Went with this package for the winter. All season vs a winter tire. Don’t get much snow in the baltimore area.

Attachments

• B0710856-F4CB-4691-9C42-063DBB141687.jpeg
    B0710856-F4CB-4691-9C42-063DBB141687.jpeg
    749 KB · Views: 732
  • D0C49F0D-BA67-4A9A-9D8C-1A131BC8D481.jpeg
    D0C49F0D-BA67-4A9A-9D8C-1A131BC8D481.jpeg
    883.1 KB · Views: 351
Went with this package for the winter. All season vs a winter tire. Don’t get much snow in the baltimore area.

Look nice -- I'm also in Maryland and really torn about what to do for the winter. I had originally thought that by now there would be all seasons available for the uberturbine and I'd just replace the pirelli's with some but now that appears it won't be an option at least this winter (unless people agree that the michelin 265 width tires do in fact work with the uberturbines on the front which would be great but going with a non-factory spec makes me nervous). Choices are (a) do nothing, do not use in snow/ice/mixed weather, understanding not idea but also that average temps in Maryland don't get that cold, (b) add Tesla winter package for 3500 - 4K (tempted to just go for induction rims as I like the look better and may use them later with all seasons if I choose), (c) add tire-rack 20" rims (something like this? https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...Clar=255/35-21F+275/35-21R&packageSearch=true) and either full on winter or all season tires.

Looks like you chose option C -- ps I like those rims, where do you get them? But I'm really torn as here in the mid atlantic committing to swap tires between summers and winters is really kind of pointless, this area is where All Seasons really make the most sense (if I lived in New England/upper midwest/Canada/Colorado/Etc. and regularly drove in real winter, then snow tires would be a no brainer, but here we're talking about literally about maybe 10 days a season with bad weather, and often it can be in the 50s even in January/February which is really warmer than ideal for winter tires).

What are others thinking?

Looks like you chose option C -- ps I like those rims, where do you get them? But I'm really torn as here in the mid atlantic committing to swap tires between summers and winters is really kind of pointless, this area is where All Seasons really make the most sense (if I lived in New England/upper midwest/Canada/Colorado/Etc. and regularly drove in real winter, then snow tires would be a no brainer, but here we're talking about literally about maybe 10 days a season with bad weather, and often it can be in the 50s even in January/February which is really warmer than ideal for winter tires).

Agreed, those wheels look nice. This is an interesting situation--I don't own a Tesla at the moment (looking to order a Model Y Performance), and this tire issue is precisely what is holding up my order! I live in Kansas City, and currently run ultra high performance all seasons on my Audi S4--want precisely the same thing for the 21" wheels, but nothing out there! While our temps are colder, we get the same thing--maybe 8-10 days a year (or less) where there is actual snow on the ground and/or roads are bad--I'm still shocked that Tesla doesn't offer an all season option--most upscale retailers offer that as an option when you order (swap the summers for an all season). Granted, Audi then lowers the max speed limit, but thats fine.

Wish I could offer some help/guidance, but am doing my research as well and if I come across anything, will drop it here.

Look nice -- I'm also in Maryland and really torn about what to do for the winter. I had originally thought that by now there would be all seasons available for the uberturbine and I'd just replace the pirelli's with some but now that appears it won't be an option at least this winter (unless people agree that the michelin 265 width tires do in fact work with the uberturbines on the front which would be great but going with a non-factory spec makes me nervous). Choices are (a) do nothing, do not use in snow/ice/mixed weather, understanding not idea but also that average temps in Maryland don't get that cold, (b) add Tesla winter package for 3500 - 4K (tempted to just go for induction rims as I like the look better and may use them later with all seasons if I choose), (c) add tire-rack 20" rims (something like this? https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=W19261503B&wheelMake=MSW&wheelModel=Type+48&wheelFinish=Black+Painted&showRear=no&autoMake=Tesla&autoModel=Model+Y+Performance&autoYear=2020&autoModClar=255/35-21F+275/35-21R&packageSearch=true) and either full on winter or all season tires.

Thank you!
We were also debating just keeping the 21” uberturbines and summer tire on all winter. But from what we read (and been told) even temps under 40 can damage the integrity of the tire, rubber compound, cracking etc.

We were going to use tsportsline for a wheel/tire package. They have some really nice combinations. I Was just concerned about shipping from CA, delays, potential tire issues and business not being local (if we had issues) etc. We went down to no limit in Baltimore and they took really good care of us. This package was approx 1k cheaper than what we would have paid with tsportsline.

I really didn’t know much about no limit but from we were told they are pretty popular after market modification business. We would recommend using them.

Look nice -- I'm also in Maryland and really torn about what to do for the winter. I had originally thought that by now there would be all seasons available for the uberturbine and I'd just replace the pirelli's with some but now that appears it won't be an option at least this winter (unless people agree that the michelin 265 width tires do in fact work with the uberturbines on the front which would be great but going with a non-factory spec makes me nervous). Choices are (a) do nothing, do not use in snow/ice/mixed weather, understanding not idea but also that average temps in Maryland don't get that cold, (b) add Tesla winter package for 3500 - 4K (tempted to just go for induction rims as I like the look better and may use them later with all seasons if I choose), (c) add tire-rack 20" rims (something like this? https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=W19261503B&wheelMake=MSW&wheelModel=Type+48&wheelFinish=Black+Painted&showRear=no&autoMake=Tesla&autoModel=Model+Y+Performance&autoYear=2020&autoModClar=255/35-21F+275/35-21R&packageSearch=true) and either full on winter or all season tires.

these rims are 20” TSW Sebring matte black. With pzero all seasons

we put the uberturbines in storage for the winter. Will probably put them back on in March and see how much longer he summer tires have left on them. They currently have approx 8,500 miles on them. Might just stick with the 20” after the summer tires wear down.

the ride seems similar with the 20” wheels vs uberturbines. Also picked up approx 20 miles of range with the 20” wheels.

Agreed, those wheels look nice. This is an interesting situation--I don't own a Tesla at the moment (looking to order a Model Y Performance), and this tire issue is precisely what is holding up my order! I live in Kansas City, and currently run ultra high performance all seasons on my Audi S4--want precisely the same thing for the 21" wheels, but nothing out there! While our temps are colder, we get the same thing--maybe 8-10 days a year (or less) where there is actual snow on the ground and/or roads are bad--I'm still shocked that Tesla doesn't offer an all season option--most upscale retailers offer that as an option when you order (swap the summers for an all season). Granted, Audi then lowers the max speed limit, but thats fine.

Wish I could offer some help/guidance, but am doing my research as well and if I come across anything, will drop it here.

thank you
Before we purchased our PUP I never though about a potential tire dilemma. Your right there should be winter/all season solutions. I chalk it up to one of those you want to play you have to pay scenarios. Trying to look at the positive side that at least we hopefully won’t have to purchase tires for a while!

I'll add my experience so far:
I live in the PNW which is more wet than cold, but we do get snow and some freezing rain each winter. And the roads to the ski areas are usually very well maintained. So, I opted to swap my 21s/pzeros to a winter "all season" tire: Martian 20" wheels, Quatrac Pros, new TPMS sensors. Very happy so far - these wheels/tires are more comfortable but still handle great in hard driving in the rain and cooler weather. I do miss the stock PUP set up on high speed - 80mph+ curves. But for winter driving this new combo is great, so far. We haven't had any lowland snow and I haven't been up in the mountains yet, but I expect solid performance unless conditions are icy. The only hard part was building an overhead rack in the garage to hold 360lbs of Uberturbines/pzeros....and lifting them up there.

• Informative
Reactions: gundarx
I'll add my experience so far:
I live in the PNW which is more wet than cold, but we do get snow and some freezing rain each winter. And the roads to the ski areas are usually very well maintained. So, I opted to swap my 21s/pzeros to a winte r "all season" tire: Martian 20" wheels, Quatrac Pros, new TPMS sensors. Very happy so far - these wheels/tires are more comfortable but still handle great in hard driving in the rain and cooler weather. I do miss the stock PUP set up on high speed - 80mph+ curves. But for winter driving this new combo is great, so far. We haven't had any lowland snow and I haven't been up in the mountains yet, but I expect solid performance unless conditions are icy. The only hard part was building an overhead rack in the garage to hold 360lbs of Uberturbines/pzeros....and lifting them up there.

Wouldn’t it be a dream if we could get together and convince Verdenstein (sp?) to produce the
Quatrac Pro’s in the 21” staggered sizes and become the official go-to for all weather tires for Model Y Performance?

Reactions: Jacko
I went with 19x9s and Sottozeros. The Uberturbines are in the garage for the winter. suspension parts got a nice coating of rust inhibitor krown.

Also, I had an alignment done after 3000 miles, rear tires had a lot of inside wear. The alignment should fix that since it was out of spec. Tire Discounters is running a deal that ends up being $188 unlimited alignments over 5 years. That’s $19 per alignment if you get 2 a year over the next 5 years.
F850121A-7DB8-4823-B901-29D431F3A540.jpeg
5C65F6E4-B1D8-4D0F-8ACC-A73BA655D848.jpeg
85EDCFEB-F70B-4EAC-BA86-6BF48CCD8DD6.jpeg

Last edited: